Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Earl Scruggs: RIP...  (Read 577 times)
GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: March 29, 2012, 10:35:22 AM »

Y'all come back now. Ya hear...
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 12:44:12 PM »

He had a wonderful career. Who haven't been inspired by Flatt and Scruggs    bowdown

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
RoundLakeDT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 02:34:18 PM »

Yep; I bet a good part of fingerstyle guitar technique could be traced to Scruggs-style banjo rolls

Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 04:09:53 PM »

He was a legend and will be missed.

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
teh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 10:17:14 PM »

He will be missed. Here's a great story that Steve Martin told on David Letterman that showed he could be humble and funny with a story about his friend and mentor Earl Scruggs:

"Steve Martin came onto the stage with picks already on this fingers, playing a bit during the segment. After Letterman asked about banjos and their escalating value, Martin told him that “banjos can be quite valuable” then told a uniquely Nashville story about businesswoman Louise Scruggs, wife and manager of bluegrass legend Earl Scruggs.

“One night I was sitting with Earl Scruggs and his wife Louise, who has passed on, but I’d heard that they were increasing in value and I have some old ones,” Martin told Letterman. “I said to Louise, 'I hear these instruments are worth a lot of money now. I’ve heard that this (Gibson) Florentine might be worth $25,000.’ And she said, ‘I’ll give you $25,000 right now. That banjo is worth $200,000.'”

He said she told him, “You call George Gruhn in Nashville and he’ll tell you what they’re worth.”

Martin said he had three of the banjos, and his thoughts turned to going home, insuring them and not playing them anymore. He said waited a couple of weeks, and got his courage up to call Gruhn in Nashville. “I called George Gruhn and said, ‘George, I hear these banjos are worth some money now. What’s my Florentine worth?’ And he said, ‘Ohhhhh, with your name attached: ‘$8,000,'” Martin said to huge audience laughter."

TEH

Larrivee Parlor Flamed Maple
Larrivee LV-03 12 string w/ Mahogany Top 
Martin D-35 Shade Top
Martin OM-35 Sunburst
Martin 000-18 custom w/3 piece mahogany back, 12 fret slotted headstock
Martin Backpacker w/Nashville tuning
Oahu Square Neck
GeeNorm

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 02:26:31 AM »

He had a wonderful career. Who haven't been inspired by Flatt and Scruggs    bowdown

I was! I was fortunate enough to see them in concert during my college years. They played in our basketball arena and I had a floor seat about 20 feet from the stage. This was a year or two before their partnership ended. I will always remember Earl playing Lady Madonna by the Beatles. It has been said that his desire to broaden his musical expression beyond bluegrass was a stress on the duo.

And ... just as I learned to play guitar from a Peter, Paul, and Mary songbook I learned to play banjo from an Earl Scruggs tablature book.

Norman

Larrivee LSV-11E, LV-10E, Limited Edition D-03 IS/MH
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 bass, Ovation 12-string
{GASSING for RS-4}
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 02:06:38 PM »

Definitely lost a giant in the world of music.  RIP Earl. 

carruth
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 11:31:31 PM »

Earl was  the top player at that 3 finger banjo style. RIP Earl.

Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 01:39:07 AM »

Obviously one of the best musicians there was. Everyone knows that. But don't forget the man who bridged the generations back in 60's and early 70's especially, when the generations were often miles apart. He embraced everyone and thier music. Here's a video of him jamming with Roger McGuinn, Clarence White and other assorted hippies, back in the day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWXulD-gxuw

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: