gloss vs satin, soundwise?

Started by LoMa, March 28, 2012, 07:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: LoMa on March 28, 2012, 07:28:29 PM
I'm wondering, can your ears hear the difference between a Larrivee glossy and a Larrivee satin finished guitar?

Yes, and I'm pretty sure anybody could easily hear the difference. What's the difference? Swish versus no-swish. I personally don't care for the swishy sound so I generally opt for gloss finish.

And I agree with the earlier statement about some folks having "gloss-envy" and trying to find reasons why satin is actually better sounding to their ears. In all honesty, the sound coming out of the soundhole sound pretty much the same to my ears. No need to defend the less-costly Larrivee line, they are ALL fantastic guitars, from the 03 all the way up to the nicely appointed 11 series. Larrivee is one of the few companies that offers high-quality yet affordable guitars.  
GUITARS: Larrivee P-05, Dupont MC-50, NRP 12-fret "B", Robert Sayers custom flat-top, Cervantes Crossover 1, Todd Korup custom banjo-uke, McSpadden dulcimer, PRS 22 semi-hollow ltd, PRS DC3
AMPLIFICATION: RA-400, Rivera Venus 3

Well.. to the gloss envy comments, All I can say is I decided to sell my D-09.. and they now have it at Guitar Center in Indianapolis for 2500 bucks if anyone is interested. I found another guitar that I liked better, and I won't mention the name as not to start another VS issue. The next Larrivee I buy will either be a Satin Model or a 25 year old Gloss Model, but it definitely won't be a brand new gloss.. The 03's are the series I'd for for and hopefully find a special run that includes higher end appointments that I like. I played a few Larrivees today and it just re-confirmed what at least me and few others here think, the gloss models do not project as well as the satin models... Maybe once the gloss models are a decade old they do, but not off the shelf for sure.  :guitar

I just bought an LV09 Custom Larrivee and it's glossed up to the hilt and let me tell you it sounds GREAT!!!!  I've always been a mahogany guy and this guitar brought me back to rosewood and so happy about it.  The biggest reason I think is that it's a twelve fretter.  It's loud and oh so sweet.

And this from a guy who's owned seven Larrys, a couple of which were satin.  I will admit that my Forum III, satin of course, is a stellar sounding guitar.

Larrivees sound great no matter what overcoat they're wearing!

Quote from: gtrplayer on March 30, 2012, 07:47:15 PM

Larrivees sound great no matter what overcoat they're wearing!

:+1: congrats on the guitar!!!
2002 larrivee L-05 (FOR SALE)
Martin 000x1rgt
1996 Fender 57' Ri strat (SOLD)

lol @ gloss envy.. it's more like satin envy  :bowdown: 

This would seem to be a very interesting and equally complicated topic. While I am the first to admit I am no expert on sound mechanics, I have read some studies that show us that the effect of a finish on a wood instrument (in most cases said studies are on violins, violas and cellos) is multifactorial and much more complicated that just the thickness of the finish. Finish can effect sound dampenning and relative ratios of sound velocity to sound density(meaning that certain varnishes have the capacity to allow thinner sound woods.) allowing an increase in dynamic range. Also, the steps taken between the application of oils or varnish can also cause a significant enhancement or impediment of the final sound.
(see Empirical Tools in Contemporary Violin Making:Part I. Analysis of Design, Materials, Varnish,and Normal Modes, Martin Schleske)
Now I won't pretend to understand even a fraction of the studies these sound physics geeks talk about, but what I take from it is that to produce a superior sound takes a very fine tuned balance of a multitude of factors and the finish is an integral part of that configuration. The single fact that one finish might me slightly thicker than the next would not necessarily mean the sound on the former instrument would be diminished.  I leave it to the master luthiers to figure out that balance. To me , my D-10 and L-10's prove that the Larrivee's have done that. Now it is time to stop reading these mind numbing articles and go play my guitar!

Wow three page's with all sorts of stuff to answer a simple question "can your ears hear a differance" between satin or gloss finish's.AMAZING.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on March 30, 2012, 10:52:57 PM
Wow three page's with all sorts of stuff to answer a simple question "can your ears hear a differance" between satin or gloss finish's.AMAZING.

The simple answer for me is "no". 

And if someone says they can they must be inhaling too many whippits.    :humour:
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on March 31, 2012, 11:34:20 AM
The simple answer for me is "no". 

And if someone says they can they must be inhaling too many whippits.    :humour:

As guitars are different so are ears.I own both but alas one is an OM satin the others are gloss LS's.When compairing the OM maple to the LS maple I hear no difference except for body style's and age the OM is from the 2000's and the LS is from the 90's.Both sound great but different,whether that is because of finish,body shape or age I don't know.Then again does it matter its all subjective.Whether one has a thicker/thinner finish again I don't know and again does it really matter as they both bring me joy and happiness.So play what feels and sounds best to your ears and hands and ENJOY.... :guitar
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on March 31, 2012, 12:18:00 PM
As guitars are different so are ears.I own both but alas one is an OM satin the others are gloss LS's.When compairing the OM maple to the LS maple I hear no difference except for body style's and age the OM is from the 2000's and the LS is from the 90's.Both sound great but different,whether that is because of finish,body shape or age I don't know.Then again does it matter its all subjective.Whether one has a thicker/thinner finish again I don't know and again does it really matter as they both bring me joy and happiness.So play what feels and sounds best to your ears and hands and ENJOY.... :guitar

See,   your already talking like an executive (see other thread).  And don't think I didn't notice the spelling up above, you got yourself a sexratary didn't you?

P.S.   :+1:
Roger

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on March 31, 2012, 11:34:20 AM

:roll
Just had an 80's flashback reading that. Most of my friends stopped doing whippits after one of our buddies turned purple and passed out. And I mean PURPLE. Never saw that happen before, never again either.
GUITARS: Larrivee P-05, Dupont MC-50, NRP 12-fret "B", Robert Sayers custom flat-top, Cervantes Crossover 1, Todd Korup custom banjo-uke, McSpadden dulcimer, PRS 22 semi-hollow ltd, PRS DC3

A guitar with gloss allows the wood in all its splendor to truly show.

Satin is like looking through a slightly frosted window pane.

Also, a gloss guitar does offer more protection--according to Larrivee customer service.

Quote from: Strings4Him on March 31, 2012, 12:52:53 PM

Satin is like looking through a slightly frosted window pane.

Or cataracts.
Roger

I think we all can agree either satin or gloss both are fine guitars to say one is better than the other is a personal thing just play what sounds good to you and be happy with your purchase. :nana_guitar

I had an OMV-3 and sold it to buy a LV-05. I found that the first (satin finish) had significantly more volume and sustain then the latter. I preferred the gloss finish.

One man's opinion.

Quote from: old beginner on April 01, 2012, 09:45:18 AM
I had an OMV-3 and sold it to buy a LV-05. I found that the first (satin finish) had significantly more volume and sustain then the latter.

Strange that the L-body had LESS sustain and volume than the OM, since the L-body is 1/2" deeper and a wider lower bout.  :? 

6,12,15,19,19 1,14,4 19,1,20,9,14 1,18,4 20,8,5 10,1,13,5 6,9,14,9,19,8.

Quote from: GA-ME on April 01, 2012, 03:31:03 PM

Is this in code?
Roger

Quote from: GA-ME on April 01, 2012, 03:31:03 PM

The limit does not exist.

I like the satin finish in gloss or satin.

Roger