L-05 setup question

Started by mattd, March 26, 2012, 11:33:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have had my L-05 about a week now, starting to get used to the 1 3/4 nut, but the guitar seems stiff, and my fingers come away from playing very sore.   The action looks like it could come down a little, the neck relief looks good, and the intonation is spot on.  I am playing with the same guage strings I always use, and even put some coated elixirs on to get it a little more comfortable.  My question is if I were to take it in to a good tech will they be able to remedy this problem?  BTW, the tone this thing puts out is still worth the sore fingers!!!  :donut :donut2 :coffee :donut2 :donut
2002 larrivee L-05 (FOR SALE)
Martin 000x1rgt
1996 Fender 57' Ri strat (SOLD)

A setup by a qualified tech will solve these issue but as a tech I would wait a couple of more weeks.You need to get to know any and all issue's that you are having,you should write them down.You should also sit and talk too and play for the tech as this will help them with resolving the issue's.You'll also want to know what they plan on doing.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I will give it more play time before taking it to a tech, I am just wondering if my hands and fingers still need adjustment time to the wider nut.
Martin 000x1rgt

Sounds like the action needs to come down. I go for 3mm at the 12th fret.
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

Quote from: mattd on March 26, 2012, 01:26:40 PM
I will give it more play time before taking it to a tech, I am just wondering if my hands and fingers still need adjustment time to the wider nut.
Its possible and since you mentioned it,it now become's a more important factor in taking more time to get to know the guitar so you can help the tech get the most out of your setup.Again make sure you get the details of what the tech plan's on doing to make this guitar trully yours.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Thanks for the advise!    :smile:
Martin 000x1rgt

One other observation: If you've been playing a short scale guitar there is less tension on the strings and it will be noticeable with the L-05. Like Unclrob says: let it settle for a few more weeks then get it to a GOOD tech. When I bought my L-03 I had similar problems and after a good setup it's a GREAT guitar.

f
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Been playing my martin the last few years, it is the same scale, but has 1 11/16" nut, just a tad lower string height, and it just does not feel as stiff, I just wasn't sure if this could have something to do with the 1 3/4 nut vs. 1 11/16 nut.    :donut :donut2 :coffee
Martin 000x1rgt

It does take some adjustment going from one nut whith to another.When you have the guitar setup the tech should be able to adjust the string hieght at the nut.It should be part of the setup.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: unclrob on March 27, 2012, 11:59:37 AM
It does take some adjustment going from one nut whith to another.When you have the guitar setup the tech should be able to adjust the string hieght at the nut.It should be part of the setup.

:+1:  Try putting a capo on the first fret and see if that makes a difference, if so the nut slots needs to be adjusted.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"