Eastman Bellying/Belly Buldge questions(help)

Started by SMixon, April 27, 2012, 07:26:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :nana_guitar :donut :coffee

Alright, here is my issue and I'll try to explain as best I can.
I bought my Eastman E20D(rosewood) Nov. 2011.  I'm sure it had been on the wall for a while before I bought it.  For those who are not familiar, this particular model is a handmade copy of a prewar martin.
1 3/4 nut width, adirondak spruce top, scalloped braces etc. 

I did have an undersaddle pickup installed professionally and was set up at that time in Nov. I personally don't think the action has changed since that time, but about 2 weeks ago I noticed due to examining my guitar that there is a slight bulge behind the bridge.  Mainly only behind the Low E and A strings. 

I know that a little bluge is normal and the Bridge is glued down nice and tight. No Braces loose that I can tell.  I don't believe there is any top sinking in in front of the bridge. The brakeover angle looks to be good.

I did take a straight edge ruler and placed it on the fretboard and the bridge.  The bottom edge of the ruler meets just even with the top edge of the bridge on the Low E and A and seem to slide just barely over the D GBE side of the bridge.  Placing the straight edge behind the bridge shows a gap on each side of the guitars edges although slightly more on the Bass side(didn't measure yet).  The entire top seems to be radiused just a bit though. 

I know this may be normal, but just wanted to check with you all.  I normally only keep one acoustic at a time (electric is another story) and don't want to be in a situation to have to send a guitar off and wait or drop it off at a shop and wait.  Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks everyone.  I have entertained selling this guitar just for a smaller bodied acoustic or slightly shallower dread. We'll see.

Mix
Taylor 410 L2 (Rosewood)
Gibson Custom Shop J-45
Partscaster Tele
Partscaster Strat
Therdrail Amp
LR Baggs
Pedals and What Not

I will begin making sure that it's properly humidified tonight as well.
Taylor 410 L2 (Rosewood)
Gibson Custom Shop J-45
Partscaster Tele
Partscaster Strat
Therdrail Amp
LR Baggs
Pedals and What Not

Yes its normal and as far as I can tell its due to the way the top is braced {I kick me to hard for this statement}.The string pull in this area seems to warp the top.Sometime's you can see small warps to the top at each corner of the bridge.I don't believe it to be a humidity problem.I have also haven't seen this problem with Larrivee's as there brace is not the same.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Thanks rob.  I was really worrying.  After I started playing electric I began to notice that I was much more anal about set up etc on guitars.  Not a bad thing I guess.  Glad to know it's normal.  Thanks again for your reply.   :thumbsup
Taylor 410 L2 (Rosewood)
Gibson Custom Shop J-45
Partscaster Tele
Partscaster Strat
Therdrail Amp
LR Baggs
Pedals and What Not

:+1: on what rob said.  The Seagull folk guitar that I had was the same way and if you looked inside at the bracing you could see why.

I added these pics that I took for a thread about this very question a couple years ago. Is this the area on your guitar that seems bulged?

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Yes, That is the area.  Mainly just the Low E And A area.  Otherwise it seems good to go. 
Taylor 410 L2 (Rosewood)
Gibson Custom Shop J-45
Partscaster Tele
Partscaster Strat
Therdrail Amp
LR Baggs
Pedals and What Not