Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is best pickup for a D-05 with a mohagany top?  (Read 1355 times)
andrewgrade

Ignore
« on: March 17, 2012, 10:09:06 PM »

I just got a D-05 with a mohagany top and want to install a saddle pickup for performing, not recording.  I have an LL Baggs in my old D-03, which I like,  but I'm curious as to whether a Fishman or some other type of pickup might be better.  I dont use a pick and I use a lot of tapping and harmonics when I play.  I also play melody/bass notes on the a string and low e string frequently.  Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
rwskaggs

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 10:31:10 PM »

Just put a JJB Prestige #330 in my OM-05 MT - same pickup as K&K Western Mini.  Got them in all my guitars and won't use anything else.  Even took a perfect B-Band dual source pickup out of my Larrivee L-09 Snakewood and added the JJB....

Sounds good - picks up harmonics - useful if you want to tap the top for percussive effect.....and no quack; no interference between the saddle and the bridge.  I love 'em!

RW Skaggs, the tinman:

Acorn House Custom by Chris Kenney:Tinman "Heart   Guitar" SJ; Osage Orange; Master Grade Italian Spruce; Inlay by Jimi Wingert   :D
Rainsong H-DR1100N2
McKnight Mini-Mac V; Madagascar + Italian double top
John Helton Custom OM; Honduran Mahogany Burl
Seagull Parlor in Nashville high tuning
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 06:01:30 AM »

I perform with my L-07 which has the K&K system in it and it is really great.  You need to have a pre-amp, but you would need that for a UST anyways, right?  I Haven't really tried other systems, so I can't offer much about them.

There are a couple of other fairly recent threads about this topic that might be worthwhile to search out.

Kurt

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 06:38:54 AM »

My hogtop 000-50MT is outfitted with a K & K pure western mini.   In the past I've used an LR Baggs M-1 soundhole pickup, a Fishman under-saddle, and a Dean Markley soundhole pickup .
The K & K is the best in in my opinion although they each do an adequate job.
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 07:09:16 AM »

Is there a "best" pickup? - I don't think so - each to its own and its application.

By default Mics sound the best but they're also feedback prone - more so in bigger venues.

UST's tend to produce piezo quack. AST's are probably the most versatile and magnetis soundhole pickups can be driven in the live set-up.

Now having said this all there are some combinations that work better than others - Baggs' Anthem has great ratings with their combo of Mic/UST combo.

I had a Fishman Ellipse Matrix with a Mic/UST combo in a Walden guitar that I used in a small church setting with great results.

B-band's UST's are great performers - I personally prefer their Acoustic reproduction above all other UST's, and Baggs' I-beam, B-band's AST and K&K' s Pure are great AST's.
The folks on this forum (including me) love their K&K's, and Rob his I-beams.

You can't go wrong with any of these mentioned, and like I said - each to its own.

With your hog top I'd say K&K's pure or a sound-hole p/u like Baggs' M1.

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
maLavvo

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 07:03:46 PM »

I have used the the LR Baggs iBeam (active) with vol. control.  Installed on my Taylor GA, sounds pretty good and easy to install.  Does not necessarily need a pre-amp.  I just bought K&K Pure minis (passive), I haven't installed them yet, but a lot of people here say they're very good.  Will install it on my OM-03R and on the J-03.

I also have the LR Baggs M1A soundhole pick-up.  I kept the M1A for the reason that I can move it around to different guitars if I need to.

"Larrivee, I'm lovin' it!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: