Pages: 1 ... 11 [12] 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official FORUM VI Thread - Hop on board! - FAILED  (Read 38748 times)
funkstarfish

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: May 22, 2012, 02:45:25 PM »

pretty sure its 24.9.  I picked up a martin 00-15 and had it for a bit.  What i wanted was this 00, with the 1 3/4 nut and 12 fret, but i settled.  I had it side by side with the Larrivee OM-03.  I found the 00-15 to be a bit flat or dead side by side with the OM-03.  Just sounded kind of muffled or muted in comparison.  Im sure my lack of skill didn't help, but that's what i found from the smaller martin i had.  Will be nice to see how this upgraded version works out.

The dude abides
PM33AUD

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: May 22, 2012, 04:24:06 PM »

Yea, I recently played an 00-15 (actually a bunch of em... alltheway back to a 1946).  Didn't like the new ones as much although the old guy was lacking some of the punchy low end that the new one had.  The new one was def less responsive which may be part of the flatness you mention.  I'm hoping the thinner finish and the fact that it's a 12 fretter sorta resolve that issue and get it something closer to the old guy.  That being said, the vintage OO was also far more expensive and will require more care and maintenance than I probably want to invest in a player guitar.

The Podium OOS (as well as all of their other guitars) have decent sound clips that I compared against a bunch of other guitars both aurally and visually through a spectrum analyzer.  The OOS has plenty of low end but that distinct mahogany character in the mids that I really dig.  There is also something about it's warmth that kinda had me goin back to it over many of the other guitars which had a more traditional acoustic sound.  Against OMs, OOOs, and even a Dread I threw in there, there was definitely less scoop in the midrange.  But blah blah blah we'll see how it goes when I play and hear it for myself.  I still have the sound of all those vintage guys in my head so I'll be certain off the bat if it's a hit or a miss.  Also, I just need an acoustic guitar and I'm sure this will far exceed anything else I've owned.  I mentioned at the beginning of the Forum VI thread, my main acoustic digs was a hog Baby Taylor, which I absolutely loved... enough so to sell a $2k Breedlove OM and just keep playing the little bugger.  It was just missing recordability (intonation was also pretty horrible) so I needed to get something that was less of a fun toy but am still drawn to play.  The OO size is that sweet spot for comfort and tone IMO.
PM33AUD

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: May 22, 2012, 04:26:18 PM »

pretty sure its 24.9.  I picked up a martin 00-15 and had it for a bit.  What i wanted was this 00, with the 1 3/4 nut and 12 fret, but i settled.  I had it side by side with the Larrivee OM-03.  I found the 00-15 to be a bit flat or dead side by side with the OM-03.  Just sounded kind of muffled or muted in comparison.  Im sure my lack of skill didn't help, but that's what i found from the smaller martin i had.  Will be nice to see how this upgraded version works out.

Confirmed... it is 24.9"
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: May 22, 2012, 05:20:34 PM »

So then the Forum VI is a Martin, cool afro

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
CJ

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: May 22, 2012, 05:37:11 PM »

Yea, I recently played ... a bunch of em... alltheway back to a 1946...

You've been playing for 66 years!?! How the hell old are you anyway, Phil?!?

I sure hope I can still bend a string or 2 when I'm a man of your advanced years ... 
PM33AUD

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: May 22, 2012, 06:07:44 PM »

You've been playing for 66 years!?! How the hell old are you anyway, Phil?!?

I sure hope I can still bend a string or 2 when I'm a man of your advanced years ... 

Organizing the FVI has aged me to my current state...
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: May 22, 2012, 06:40:23 PM »

Thanks for the warning Phil. I was thinking of trying a twelve fret L mahogany forum guitar, but I'm gonna pass now. 

"I found the 00-15 to be a bit flat or dead side by side with the OM-03.  Just sounded kind of muffled or muted in comparison."

That's typical Martin sound, no?

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
funkstarfish

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: May 22, 2012, 11:39:19 PM »

Thanks for the warning Phil. I was thinking of trying a twelve fret L mahogany forum guitar, but I'm gonna pass now. 

"I found the 00-15 to be a bit flat or dead side by side with the OM-03.  Just sounded kind of muffled or muted in comparison."

That's typical Martin sound, no?

haha, you may be right, im not sure, but it was miles away form the D-15 martin sound.  that thing growls and has such an interesting tone.  The little sister though didn't impress me at all.  can't comment on other smaller martins made of other woods.  only the all hogs or dreads, which are what they are. 

The dude abides
prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: May 23, 2012, 01:47:40 PM »

The fabled Martin 000-15S is pretty popular as an all-hog guitar.  I had one for a while but lost interest.  The Forum IV is much more to my ears' liking.

Play it daily for best results.
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: May 23, 2012, 03:32:27 PM »

The fabled Martin 000-15S is pretty popular as an all-hog guitar.  I had one for a while but lost interest.  The Forum IV is much more to my ears' liking.

I had a 000-15S but it was all sapele and not mahogany.  It was still a great guitar.  I sold it to buy an L-03...or was it the L-03R?  One or the other.  

The Forum IV is still one of my all time favourite guitars.  Reminds me, I need to change the strings on it if I'm going to use it for my online concert!

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: May 23, 2012, 04:22:52 PM »

The fabled Martin 000-15S is pretty popular as an all-hog guitar.  I had one for a while but lost interest.  The Forum IV is much more to my ears' liking.
  I played a 000-15S a number of times at a local guitar shop and tried to like it. But it always sounded like it was stuffed with socks to me. So I started the F-IV order and I agree the F-IV sound is far above the 000-15S.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: May 23, 2012, 04:40:46 PM »

I played a 000-15S a number of times at a local guitar shop and tried to like it. But it always sounded like it was stuffed with socks to me. So I started the F-IV order and I agree the F-IV sound is far above the 000-15S.

A couple weeks ago I traded for a ten year old 000-15S. This one had beenplayed a lot...so much that the edge of the soundhole is wearing away...but it sounds great. Alive. And it has a great set up so I traded for it without looking back.

Thought I just didn't care for hogtops after my experience with my FIII. I just think all mahogany guitars need lots of play time to loosen up and come alive.

Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
PM33AUD

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: May 23, 2012, 05:00:19 PM »

the clips to me dont sound at all like it's stuffed with socks...  for that matter neither did the new 14 fret OO-15M or the one from '46.  only big difference was the older one was a bit more responsive and resonated a little better.  70 years might have that effect though.  maybe i just prefer less-bright guitars.  to me, less bright is similar to saying more warm.  as far as resonating this OOS sound like it rings out just jim dandy.  tomorrow i shall know!  shame I don't have a FIV to compare it to side-by-side :(

Tuba Mike

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: May 23, 2012, 05:41:03 PM »

Where do you live, Phil?.  Perhaps a F-IV owner could hook up with you and you could make a sise-by-side comparison.

Larrivee OM-50
Larrivee Forum IV - #19
Willson 3400S Eb Tuba
PM33AUD

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: May 23, 2012, 05:41:47 PM »

A couple weeks ago I traded for a ten year old 000-15S. This one had beenplayed a lot...so much that the edge of the soundhole is wearing away...but it sounds great. Alive. And it has a great set up so I traded for it without looking back.

Thought I just didn't care for hogtops after my experience with my FIII. I just think all mahogany guitars need lots of play time to loosen up and come alive.

The proprietor of this vintage shop said age is a huge factor for acoustics opening up.  I wonder what all the new guitars we play today will sound like in 50 years.  
PM33AUD

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: May 23, 2012, 05:43:14 PM »

Where do you live, Phil?.  Perhaps a F-IV owner could hook up with you and you could make a sise-by-side comparison.

I'm near Philly.  I have listened to many clips (most of which are Denis') of the FIV and have a decent idea of where it lies.  Playing it in person is the part that's missing there though.
CJ

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: May 23, 2012, 05:44:28 PM »

The proprietor of this vintage shop said age is a huge factor for acoustics opening up.  I wonder what all the new guitars we play today will sound like in 50 years.  

Yeah, I wonder what your guitars will sound like to the next owner or maybe the owner after that, 50 years from now? 
dave42

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: May 25, 2012, 05:48:55 AM »

I found the 00-15 to be a bit flat or dead side by side with the OM-03.  Just sounded kind of muffled or muted in comparison.

Spruce topped guitars are a bit brighter in comparison to hog tops. My newish 00-15M has gotten louder since new. I never thought I'd like an all hog guitar. I'm a spruce/rosewood Martin dread kind of person, so for me to like this little guitar is kind of a surprise to me.

Dave
'12 L-03RW Italian Spruce (Wildwood)
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: May 25, 2012, 12:37:20 PM »

I wonder what all the new guitars we play today will sound like in 50 years.  

I am never going to know that.
I hope to be playing harp by then.
I have to judge them by how they sound right now, today (but then I always did).
And they sound pretty good to my ears.
This really is the golden age of luthiery. New guitars have never sounded better. Great instruments and great value in all price ranges. Something for everyone.
PM33AUD

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: May 27, 2012, 04:27:14 PM »

: Martin OOS report :  Had a few days of extensive playing and figured I'd post some results...

If I were to put one word on the sound it'd have to be 'sweet.'  From what I can tell (which could be wrong considering my limitation of sources), it's less bright than the hog Larrivee OO.  It's more 'sad' sounding, which to me, is where I like to be.   Def a warm instrument.  I guess the more surprising thing is how it turns into a lively monster when you beat it around with a pick - she gets downright nasty!  Really changes the character of the instrument.  This OOS model does resonate a hair more than the new 14 fret OO-15 Martin I tried (the old one still has an edge there, though).  The comfort level is excellent - the 12 fret allows me to put it on my left leg where I prefer - also placing it here really changes the sound to the ears in a preferable way - much fuller on the left leg than the right - puts the soundhole in a better location (from the non-players point of view, this doesn't really matter much I guess).  The action is perfect and the neck profile is very comfortable (more so than the old Martins I played, which are bigger).  The slothead is awesome.  I'm glad I ended up with that.  Really fits the vibe of the instrument.  Tuners are real smooth.  Idk, nothing 'bad' about the instrument that would deter me from it.  Oh, yea maybe the binding could be more radius'd but that's surely negligible to me.

So yea, I'll be hangin' onto this one.  I'll have to get some recordings up at some point.
Pages: 1 ... 11 [12] 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: