Larrivee Family keeps quality and tradition alive

Started by crescent, March 12, 2012, 06:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've never had a problem with a Ping tuner either but I still think Schallers across the board makes a good thing better.  $.02

Quote from: Denis on March 23, 2012, 06:19:22 PM
I've never had a problem with a Ping tuner either but I still think Schallers across the board makes a good thing better.  $.02

:+1:  Why not get rid of them period?

On a ping tuner the gear mechanism itself is extremely high quality. We've seen so few failures with the actual tuner mechanism. 99.9% of the problems we get are the plastic knobs. You have to remember that there are different grades of "ping" tuners; the really cheap stuff is what people on the internet complain about (These tuners are seen on $149 guitars at costco). The tuner we use is from the highend line which are dramatically higher quality, and in turn much more expensive. Sort of how a toyota corolla and a lexus IS300 are related - they come from the same parent company but are totally different animals. As a reference, the german made schallers are almost 3x the price and supply is not always consistant. Delivery times can range from 2 weeks to 6-8 months.

Helpful info, Matt.  Thanks
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on March 20, 2012, 08:50:33 AM
Hardware not manufactured by Larrivée is warranted to the original manufacturer. This is clear at their website

Then perhaps Larrivee should do a better job of choosing the parts it uses. If a tuner goes bad on a Martin, they fix it under the warranty.

Jim

Quote from: jwsamuel on March 25, 2012, 08:52:00 AM
Then perhaps Larrivee should do a better job of choosing the parts it uses. If a tuner goes bad on a Martin, they fix it under the warranty.

Jim
:?

Tuners or not I still love my L  :nana_guitar  :donut :donut :donut :donut2 :donut2 :donut2 :coffee for all .

"...When a tire wears out on my car, I go buy a new one.  I don't ask the car maker to do it for me.

He's not asking them to replace the strings - which would fit your analogy.  Strings are known and expected to wear out.  Now, if the wheel fell off, you'd be calling up the warranty department at the car company right away. ...."

Tuners are known to wear out....especially the non-metal buttons.

Depends on age of guitar if problem happens with tuner or electronics after 2 years  most companies wont replace them ,and if your not the original  person who purchased guitar then your out of luck all together.

Quote from: crescent on March 25, 2012, 09:25:27 PM
Depends on age of guitar if problem happens with tuner or electronics after 2 years  most companies wont replace them ,and if your not the original  person who purchased guitar then your out of luck all together.

Really?  Which companies make up the "most" you speak of?  And your documentation of this is what?

Taylor Guitars Limited Warranty

Terms and Conditions. TAYLOR warrants solely to the original purchaser of this TAYLOR musical instrument that the instrument purchased shall be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use for as long as the instrument is owned by the original purchaser, and until the ownership of the instrument is transferred to another (unless otherwise noted by TAYLOR).  TAYLOR further warrants solely to the original purchaser that all TAYLOR pickups and pickup systems – including TAYLOR solid body electric guitar pickups, installed acoustic pickups and pickup systems and pickup systems sold separately – shall be free from defects in workmanship and materials and shall function for a period of two (2) years from the date of purchase.  This Limited Warranty does not apply: (a) to wear and tear to or breakage of frets, strings, nuts, saddle, batteries, or other damage or deterioration due to normal wear and tear of the instrument or its parts, or to normal wear and tear or breakage of any part of an instrument, including but not limited to controls, switches, jacks, plated surfaces, tuning devices, pickguards or finish, or to any instrument case, gig bag, gig bag handles, zippers, latches, case hardware, or finish;  This seems standard  warranty practice for many North American companies .

Quote from: crescent on March 25, 2012, 11:27:26 PM
Taylor Guitars Limited Warranty

Terms and Conditions. TAYLOR warrants solely to the original purchaser of this TAYLOR musical instrument that the instrument purchased shall be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use for as long as the instrument is owned by the original purchaser, and until the ownership of the instrument is transferred to another (unless otherwise noted by TAYLOR).  TAYLOR further warrants solely to the original purchaser that all TAYLOR pickups and pickup systems – including TAYLOR solid body electric guitar pickups, installed acoustic pickups and pickup systems and pickup systems sold separately – shall be free from defects in workmanship and materials and shall function for a period of two (2) years from the date of purchase.  This Limited Warranty does not apply: (a) to wear and tear to or breakage of frets, strings, nuts, saddle, batteries, or other damage or deterioration due to normal wear and tear of the instrument or its parts, or to normal wear and tear or breakage of any part of an instrument, including but not limited to controls, switches, jacks, plated surfaces, tuning devices, pickguards or finish, or to any instrument case, gig bag, gig bag handles, zippers, latches, case hardware, or finish;  This seems standard  warranty practice for many North American companies .
Larrivee, Martin, Gibson also have similar limited warranties

I wish this tuner topic would just die and receive a decent honorable burial. :wave

Quote from: dependan on March 25, 2012, 11:35:12 PM
I wish this tuner topic would just die and receive a decent honorable burial. :wave

That's is exactly my sentiments with the ender-thread too - but it won't end will it? - I found the best way for me to deal with it is to ignore it.  :smile:

Quote from: crescent on March 25, 2012, 09:25:27 PM
Depends on age of guitar if problem happens with tuner or electronics after 2 years  most companies wont replace them ,and if your not the original  person who purchased guitar then your out of luck all together.

Fwiw, I had similar problems with buttons crumbling up on one of my Walden guitars. I took it up with Walden and one of their top-brass, a guy named John Lee, sent me new all metal machines out from the UK for both my Waldens, (I had 2 at the time) no postage charged, no questions aked.

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

I would like to way in again and just say that the wood or woodoid buttons look cool but due to the nature of the material donot stand the test of time.The same goes for the plastic one's,though some of these have lasted the test of time.The wood/woodoids though are the worst in my opinion its just not the right material for the job that they are being used for.I have a small box of removed wood/woodiod buttons that have been replaced with metal one's and no I don't sell them as there are no matched sets,well maybe there are but I'm not going to spend the time trying to match them.If a client doesn't want me to replace the broken one's with metal they are welcome to go thru the box and try to match them to whats on there guitars themselve's or if they really want a set they can sit on the floor and put together a set.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help