Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tease of something "electrifying" on Facebook  (Read 8548 times)
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2012, 02:22:47 AM »

Oops ... okay, now I've seen the pic Matthew posted on facebook a couple hours ago. Could be a "strat-style" w/o pickguard, as someone suggested above ("super-strat"). Looks interesting, especially if it has a decent trem and a bucker in the bridge - that's one strat set-up I don't have (HSS).

If you didn't need a lefty, I would sell you my HSS for a very good price.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2012, 02:26:29 AM »

Matthew told me the Bakersfields are selling beyong their wildest expectations.

That wasn't my question - my question was how many are being sold to people that have never bought Larrivee before as a percentage of total sales.  My guess is that it's still very low - I would guess under 25%.  That is, my guess is that 75% of Bakersfield purchases are being made by folks that already have a Larrivee in the stable.

2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2012, 02:45:22 AM »

That wasn't my question - my question was how many are being sold to people that have never bought Larrivee before as a percentage of total sales.  My guess is that it's still very low - I would guess under 25%.  That is, my guess is that 75% of Bakersfield purchases are being made by folks that already have a Larrivee in the stable.

Certainly your perspective would be accurate from a predominantly acoustic forum point of view. I would like to believe that the percentages you present were reverse but without an agressive promo and product placement you might be right, The RS-4 for example is really as nice an electric I have laid my hands on and I own some very very nice guitars. However without the agressive promo I run into people daily - " oh Larrivee make electrics too???" The Bakersfield is a much nicer Tele than a 52 Reissue but nobody seems to be aware of this.

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Xcurrent

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2012, 05:53:45 PM »

I am  primarily an electric player and while I and own a number of guitars including couple of good acoustics, I've never owned a Larrivee. I've played Larrivee's in the past so I wasn't concerned about the quality of the guitar when I purchased my Bakersfield sight unseen, but this guitar given its price has gone beyond my expectations and if Larrivee produces a Strat with a similar neck to the Bakersfield, I will probably end up owning another Strat type guitar.  rob
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2012, 06:19:49 PM »

That wasn't my question - my question was how many are being sold to people that have never bought Larrivee before as a percentage of total sales.  My guess is that it's still very low - I would guess under 25%.  That is, my guess is that 75% of Bakersfield purchases are being made by folks that already have a Larrivee in the stable.

Well, how many Larrivees are sold to folks who are new to Larrivee?  Why should the Bakersfield be any different?  Especially with all of the hoopla about the SD 35.

BTW....what info is your 25% based on?  Just curious.  And anyhow, wouldn't that tend to be true for all new products.  IOW, how many folks who are new to Apple products bought Ipad3s?  Or Iphone4s?  I'd guess it would be much less than 25%.
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2012, 11:30:23 PM »

Well, how many Larrivees are sold to folks who are new to Larrivee?  Why should the Bakersfield be any different?  Especially with all of the hoopla about the SD 35.

BTW....what info is your 25% based on?  Just curious.  And anyhow, wouldn't that tend to be true for all new products.  IOW, how many folks who are new to Apple products bought Ipad3s?  Or Iphone4s?  I'd guess it would be much less than 25%.

I don't have info - that's why I said my GUESS would be 25%.

My position, and nobody has to agree with it, is that Larrivee could possibly get more NEW Larrivee customers by introducing products that are not copies of products that are on the marketplace already, but with Larrivee logos (even ripping off the spaghetti font of Fender on the Bakersfield was really over-the-top copying) and higher quality components than the recognizable product upon which the copy is based.

I'm not saying to abandon the copy other stuff first mindset, but does the world really need another strat copy?  (did someone already ask that question further up in the thread?)

I played a quite unique guitar a few weeks ago, an Epiphone Nighthawk Custom.  Incredible amount of tonal variety in that axe.  Strat tones, LP tones and lots of indescribable stuff in between.  And it doesn't look like anything else on the market.  And it was light and comfortable.  Setup was primo (and that was at one of the Best Buy stores that have musical instruments in a section of the store).  It was a delight because it was unlike anything I've laid hands on before.

We all know that Larrivee can make a great strat copy.  Is there any doubt about that?  I don't think it's even up for debate.  I'm sure if they did, they would be outstanding for build and tone quality.  With Larrivee making a strat copy, is that going to win new customers like their L-body seems to have done.  I know a poll isn't an accurate reflection of the situation, but how many here bought their first Larrivee in some form of L-body?  Or Parlor?  Those are rather unique products, or at least they were when they were released.

I have no data on any of these opinions.

Referring to Apple, well - I will throw that right back.  When Apple were establishing themselves, yes, most of their sales were conquest and first time sales.  The company has been around long enough, with enough cultural roots, that now there are people buying their 2nd, 3rd, 4th generation products.  But that wasn't always the case.

I'd like to see Larrivee do something truly different - like that Nighthawk Custom.  Something that isn't just another fish in the ocean.

Has anyone here read "Blue Ocean Strategy"?  It was pretty popular a few years ago.  With a Strat, Larrivee would be entering the red ocean, instead of the blue ocean where there are few competitors.  The L-body was a blue ocean strategy axe.  The Bakersfield is a red ocean strategy entry.

Now, with that said - I also understand that because these iconic guitars like the LP, strat, tele, etc. have such HUGE cultural inertia, there will almost always be room to grab onto the cape of the monster that is the tele fan base, and grab sales along the way.  It seems that was the strategy with the Bakersfield offering.  Could have been that way - who knows?

Let's see something awe-inspiring, inventive and new in the electric line.  To think of a Larrivee strat just makes me yawn.  There's so many killer high-end strats available already.  Ever played a James Tyler?  http://www.tylerguitars.com/ They are awesome.  Ever played a Godin strat copy?  Pretty awesome as well.  The list could go on for pages of high-end strat copies on the market, each with their own little unique twist on their reason for existence.

I guess one reason for the yawn is that there are Chinese manufacturers cranking out really decent strat copies for under $200.  Paired with the right amp simulation you can get all the SRV, Yngwie, Buddy Guy, you-name-the-famous-strat-player-here tone that would have ever hoped for 10 years ago.

I just find that boring and uninspiring for me to lay out cash.

You'll find my list of guitars includes one expensive guitar (to me at least) - my L-03 purchase from 1999.

Some of you laugh that I call that expensive with your stables of 5+ Larrivees and who knows what other Collings and Martins and whatever else you might have. 

I will tell you that my wife and parents made some pretty big financial sacrifices (for us) at the time to help me buy that guitar.  I sold a KMD 100W combo amp to a pawn shop to get the last $75 that I needed to buy it.  The guitar was that unique.  Nothing came close to the comfort, boom and playability of that guitar in the shop I was in which carried Martin, Alvarez Yairi, Guild, Gibson, Taylor, Yamaha, and some lesser acoustic brands at the time.  I thought for sure I was going to be buying a Martin D of some type.  I was looking at those Martin formica guitars - that was in my price range - which I had limited myself to $500. 

But hey, what's this thing?  Kind of a unique shape.  Ooh, plays like butter and sounds so delightful.  What is the name of this company?  Wait, it's solid wood hand made in North America?  I'm interested.  Gimme you best price, sir.  OK, here's a couple hundred to hold it for me.  I will see what I can do to scrounge up the rest of the cash.  I went well over my pre-set limit, BTW.

Don't you all have a story like that of some type?  When you first got the jones for something other than entry level when the dollars really did justify the quality of tone and workmanship?  I just don't see that happening with a strat copy. 

Go to you local Guitar Sinner.  Pull ANY strat or copy off the wall.  Reject those with poor setup.  Of the remainder, plug each into a Twin Reverb.  Put the 5 position switch in the neck/middle position.  Play yourself some bluesy box-pattern licks.  See if you can't get SRV's spirit to waft forth from the speakers.  You can do that with the lowliest Squier right on up to the most ridiculously overpriced strat copy in the joint.  That's what happens with single coils, spaced at precisely the locations along the strings (that even the Chinese makers can get right), feeding the right amp will provide.

I'm rambling, aren't I?  I've said my piece.  To those of you who have already decided to buy the strat copy, I'm sure it will be nice.

To Larrivee:  Please think of Blue Oceans rather than Red.  I want an electric guitar story to go along with my L-03 purchase story.  A copy of anything on the market isn't going to do it.

-Scott

2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2012, 03:01:09 AM »

Appreciate everything you're saying, Scott.  +1

My first Larrivee wasn't an L, it was an OM-05, just because I had wanted something smaller than the dread I'd been playing for years. But don't get me wrong, even with I ordered my OM, I knew someday I'd get an L. I had an LV-09 for a while, beautiful sounding and playing guitar, and it also did drop D and drop C beautifully. But for some reason it was uncomfortable for me, so I ended up selling it for a D-03R. I still want another L-09 or C-09 someday...

I think Larrivee did the "blue" thing with the RS-4 and RS-2 - similar to Gibson designs, but unique enough not to be confused as a direct rip-off...Yamaha, LTD, Schechter and other companies have followed that trail. I think there's a good chance Larrivee will keep expanding their electric line, even if the next one is a strat-style. (hey, they already redesigned the RS-2!).

It will be interesting to continue to watch the Larrivee electric family evolve and grow...

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
PM33AUD

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2012, 04:20:41 AM »

The RS4 is not a LP knock off and it isn't even close in my book.  I never owned a LP even though I've tried them often.  They are heavy as heck and play like an old-man's guitar... too easy; you can't beat on em like you can a strat or even an ibanez.  The RS4 you can wail on like you would a strat.  I never had the same result with a LP.

I don't know if the same 'differences' are in the Bakersfield - that one looks a bit more like it's a Tele to me but it's hard to find a really nice Tele too... they're out there for sure.

Heck, look at acoustics.  How many manufacturers are making OMs?  or Dreads? or ... There are subtleties to a company and how they build, what woods they pick, etc... that make it unique even though it's in direct competition with a near-equal product with another manufacturer.  I think the same is true for an electric.  The standard shapes are something we've all gotten accustomed to ergonomically and aesthetically; most guitar players are the worst when it comes to trying 'new things.'  If it works it works.  The new exciting things should come from the notes you pick and the songs you play.  All of that kinda has to be done on a 'standard' instrument the player has grown accustomed to.  Maybe I'm exaggerating  

We dont even know what the new guitar will be 100%... I think we should wait before going too nuts over this although Larrivee is holding out too long on us... all chaos will break loose!

JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2012, 04:23:34 AM »

+1  Great discussions and points of view

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2012, 06:17:35 AM »

I was going to use the acoustic analogy also.  I think of it this way.  Guitars "evolved" from lutes which evolved from whatever and so on.  They originated hundreds of years ago and the evolution has been a very slow process.  Breakthrough inovations don't happen that often.  So good guitars from different makers tend to resemble each other since they are all more or less at the same "state of the art".  They are generally hard to improve on.  This has been going on for a long long time.

So, as some of you have said, a Dread or D-size acoustic has become a standard that all makers and buyers understand.  Same for designations like OM, 00, J, etc.  Then the L came along; A significant inovation to many of us.  Yet the L model is still just an evolution created by carefully accessing, then combining the best characterstics of earlier influences.  It is not a radical change though.  It is a subtle one.

If we think of electric guitars as just an extension of the same history, we have already created several "standard" designs that are understood by most.  To me, these are the Strats, LPs, Teles, SGs, ES-335s, P-Basses, etc.  As has been said, one knows what to expect upon choosing any of these.  I consider that a good thing, not a disadvantage.  Like the acoustics, there are nuances like different woods, pickups, bridge designs, etc.  And cosmetic differences like colors, bindings, inlays, etc.  There are only so many variations on a classic theme, so they still more or less resemble each other.

Guitars are still evolving, of course.  In my first post, I was just musing that it would be nice if the next significant inovation in electric guitars came from Larrivee.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

bigbluesdaddy

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2012, 07:47:53 PM »

Just some perspective, when I look at an rs I don't really see a LP, similar on a small scale, but what I really see is an electric version of an L body, Larrivee's own design, I think that is what they were trying to achieve when they built it, as for the Bakersfield, they were probably trying to build a better version of leo's original solid body electric, to wind their own pick-UPS gives them control over the tone they are trying to achieve, so a re-inventing so to speak, but I can see how everyone would hope for more original design like the rs series, just to set them apart from other guitar conpanies, but like their acoustics, their tone is different, so their electric tone should be different, that will set them apart.

Tom:

Peace and LONG LIVE THE BLUES...

2011 Larrivee Wildwood Custom Dv03re
1994 Fender Stratocaster
1964 Fender Duo Sonic ll
2009 Highland Royal Deluxe
Line 6 flextone original model
Mesa Maverick Dual Rectifier
Vox Pathfinder 15r
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2012, 09:10:52 PM »

Just some perspective, when I look at an rs I don't really see a LP, similar on a small scale, but what I really see is an electric version of an L body , Larrivee's own design, I think that is what they were trying to achieve when they built it...

This; an LV body, to be more precise...   +1

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
fritferret

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2012, 01:14:02 PM »

i think this originality argument is dumb and ignorant.  sorry for the frankness.  lots of guitar builders offer tele and strat style guitar and fro some of them, that's all they offer.  none of them have trouble selling their guitars.  in fact, they sell well.  there's a huge market for these kinds of guitars.  smart of arrivee to tap into that market w/ an incredibly solid offering.
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2012, 02:06:49 PM »

i think this originality argument is dumb and ignorant.  sorry for the frankness.  lots of guitar builders offer tele and strat style guitar and fro some of them, that's all they offer. 

It's especially Dumb when the new offering is better than what is being offered by the original. The Bakersfield for example hardware and especially the wood are superior and few will debate the craftmanship of Larrivee. Some might think oh here goes another choirboy, but seriously friends if you are the type of person who doesn't suffer from headstock envy ( of which I suspect most Larrivee owners do not) then go compare the Telecaster with a Bakersfield then and only then will you truly see why Larrivee is building electrics.

From my tho limited interactions with Matthew Larrivee - he will not build a guitar just to build a guitar it has to be better!!! I see myself as an objective person who will say shite when it's shite. Larrivee electric guitars are the most under-rated under-valued electric guitars on the planet.

WPete

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2012, 03:23:31 PM »

....... then go compare the Telecaster with a Bakersfield then and only then .....

If only one could find a Bakersfield - I did e-mail Larrivee to ask if they could tell me dealers that had stock and the reply was they didn't have that info.  Gotta wonder how many Bakersfields have been actually built ?

L-03,  Forum-IV 003-Hog, RS-4 Hogtop HB's, Logan Custom Tele Rescue - (Aka used) (neck P-90)
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2012, 03:46:01 PM »

If only one could find a Bakersfield   Gotta wonder how many Bakersfields have been actually built ?

Agree they can be difficult to find. Note to Dealers - gotta stock em to sell em!!!!

Hey I found three  blush

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2012, 03:56:48 PM »

Just need to throw a wrench into the sale's thing..remember Larrivee's are available around the world not just the US and Canada.As for the RS modals the design look is that of an LV in my eye's not a LP even though its available as a flat top and a arch maple cap.As for the Bakersfield and having been a Tele fan since the 70's and owning many Fenders and having the chance to play many copies both low end and high end for a production guitar its best version I've played.But I will ad that since I'm such a partscaster freak I like assembling my own.This allows me todo what ever I want and avoid the expence of custom ordering,sorry Matthew but I still think yours is the best and the best part is you have a wider market then I do,plus I don't build guitars for a living I just work on them.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: