Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dennis Cahill and Martin Hayes  (Read 475 times)
bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: March 09, 2012, 08:56:31 PM »

Any fans of Irish fiddler Martin Hayes and his trusty guitarist Dennis Cahill?

I have tickets to see them tonight just across the mighty Hudson in the village of Red Hook. I have been a huge fan of this duo for about two years now. Of course I only find out about an act after they have been around for at least ten years. But Hayes is one of my favorite musicians EVER! His CDs are simply PERFECT in my opinion with the album "Under The Moon" even more perfect than perfect (although that is with guitarist Randal Bays).

http://www.martinhayes.com/index.htm

Check out this on You Tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9vlmAYw0a8

If it sounds good, it is good.

ncognito
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 03:16:17 PM »

I caught their show about seven or eight years ago.  I won tickets by calling in to a radio station.  I'd never heard of them.  I was blown away.  You picked a mellow video example Martin.  When they get in a groove the intensity builds, Cahill's foot keeps the time, Hayes rythym anchors the whole thing driving it harder and harder and all the while beautiful melody weaves throughout with the violin/fiddle whatever it is I just don't know, but I thoroughly loved it!

DAVE

-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works
bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 11:44:34 AM »

I caught their show about seven or eight years ago.  I won tickets by calling in to a radio station.  I'd never heard of them.  I was blown away.  You picked a mellow video example Martin.  When they get in a groove the intensity builds, Cahill's foot keeps the time, Hayes rythym anchors the whole thing driving it harder and harder and all the while beautiful melody weaves throughout with the violin/fiddle whatever it is I just don't know, but I thoroughly loved it!

DAVE

Hey Dave, they really are something special eh? That hypnotic groove is irresistible. For me, Hayes' albums, both Under the Moon and The Lonesome Touch, are perfect collections. Great playing and a great sound on the recording. Feels like they are in your living room. I listen to a lot of Irish music and think they are head and shoulders above the rest.

If it sounds good, it is good.

ncognito
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 05:17:45 PM »

Martin and everyone else of course--

What do you think of John Doyle as far as Celtic/Irish music?  I'm new to his music; I really enjoy it.

DAVE

-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: