FORUM VI Specification Vote Thread!

Started by PM33AUD, March 01, 2012, 03:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello,

Since many of us are hooked on the Forum IV guitar yet cannot seem to find one (the owners REALLY like their IVs!), I am going to start up what will be the Forum VI guitar.  It will be based on the OO-03 MT model with some distinct differences that will help make the Forum VI unique in its own right.  

This thread is for those who are interested to cast 'votes' and offer opinions on the configurations I'm suggesting below.  If you don't have interest in purchasing one of these guitars, feel free to be involved, but please do not cast a vote!  If you'd like to vote anonymously, just shoot me a PM.  I would not like to diverge off these 4 configurations too far, else we could end up in a big ol mess and would just further delay us getting our hands on a sweet guitar!  For the sake of the Forum title, I'd like them all to be the same guitar (which is why we're voting!)  I had a discussion with Matthew Larrivee about this exact topic a few weeks ago and I fully agree that each run of Forum guitars should be consistent in appearance, playability, and sound.

Larrivee has stated they need a minimum order of 12 guitars for this to be possible - let's see if we can get it!

-----------------
Configuration 1 (This is the Forum IV), for (reference/comparison - I would prefer not to have this be the Forum VI):

> OO-03 "MT" (all mahogany guitar)
> Standard 03 appointments with:
> Herringbone Rosette (any other option here?)
> Backstrip
> Maple Body Binding, Ivroid FB Binding
> Ebony HS, Pearl Larrivee logo, silver border
> Ebony FB
> Microdot Inlays
> 1 3/4" nut
> Mahogany neck 1 piece

-----------------
Configuration 2 (Same as above with a slotted headstock):

> OO-03 "MT" (all mahogany guitar)
> Backstrip
> Ebony HS, Pearl Larrivee logo
> Slotted HS
> Ebony FB
> Microdot Inlays
> 1 3/4" nut
> Mahogany neck 1 piece

-----------------
Configuration 3 (cutaway):
see the cutaway on an 00 here: 00 cutway thread with pics!

> OOV-03 "MT" (all mahogany guitar)
> Venetian cutaway
> Backstrip
> Ebony HS, Pearl Larrivee logo, Silver Border
> Ebony FB
> Microdot Inlays
> 1 3/4" nut
> Mahogany neck 1 piece

-----------------
Configuration 4 (cutaway with slotted headstock):

> OOV-03 "MT" (all mahogany guitar)
> Venetian cutaway
> Backstrip
> Ebony HS, Pearl Larrivee logo
> Slotted HS
> Ebony FB
> Microdot Inlays
> 1 3/4" nut
> Mahogany neck 1 piece

---------------
OPTIONS:  Here's the current list of options one may choose with any config (you don't need to add this to your vote):
> Larrivee Installed Pickups (Larrivee Pickup Options)
> Herringbone Purfling
> Pyramid Bridge

Jason at Notable Guitars has been great and SUPER FAST to help me out.  I am very happy with Jason handling this!  He is also giving us a really really good price on these guitars and the upgrades.  I cannot post pricing here so you'll have to PM me for questions.

------------------
How to cast your vote (so they're all the same format and I can spot them easily):

I think it best if people ranked any configurations they'd be interested in going for (this is not a 100% commitment, but a strong inclination, I suppose).  If one of the configurations would completely deter you, do not list/rank it.  Just make a new post with the ranked numbers of configs you'd be keen to, most interest to lowest:

4, 3, 2

In this case, configuration 4 would be my #1 vote, with the rest in descending interest.  As indicated by not listing it in my ranking, configuration 1 would deter me from entering in on the Forum VI purchase (not really, but for example's sake!)
------------------

My personal preference would be configs 3 or 4.  I like higher fret access plus Larrivee really does a nice lookin' venetian cutaway!  If you're worried about the cutaway affecting the sound, it is minimal and those who are lucky enough to compare same models/woods with and w/o the cutaway cannot tell a difference.  The slotted headstock is more classic in appearance and closer to my classical guitars which also makes tuning easier.

I apologize for the length but I think this is a clean, democratic way to get a good compromise we're all happy with to maximize the amount of folks we can get on-board.

Let's do it!

:nana_guitar

OK, I've already scored a Forum IV, but like cutaways in 12 fret models. 

My choice is 3, 4.
RW Skaggs, the tinman:

Acorn House Custom by Chris Kenney:Tinman "Heart   Guitar" SJ; Osage Orange; Master Grade Italian Spruce; Inlay by Jimi Wingert   :D
Rainsong H-DR1100N2
McKnight Mini-Mac V; Madagascar + Italian double top
John Helton Custom OM; Honduran Mahogany Burl
Seagull Parlor in Nashville high tuning

Just to confirm, the price is the street price (what we pay out the door) and not the MSRP. Correct?

Wow...........only 300 Deniro to add a SH and a Cutaway - if I didn't already have an F-IV I know what I would be voting for!

Good Luck with the F-VI and will be exciting to watch develop.

:nana_guitar

Well done Phil, lot's of options and all the Forum needs to keep this rolling. :thumbsup

My F-IV is just too good for me to need another.  But I would go with options 4 or 3 if I were doing it again.  Sitka on top would be a definite possibility for me.
Play it daily for best results.

Quote from: Dru Edwards on March 01, 2012, 03:48:17 PM
Just to confirm, the price is the street price (what we pay out the door) and not the MSRP. Correct?

That's correct!

A spruce top and gloss finish would make it more desirable to me....no interest in a satin finish...
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

It doesn't make sense not to use a Sitka top even if the rest is Mahogany, and it should also have a gloss finish.. really i just agree with dotneck  :+1: 

Quote from: Jscott on March 01, 2012, 09:10:15 PM
It doesn't make sense not to use a Sitka top even if the rest is Mahogany, and it should also have a gloss finish.. really i just agree with dotneck  :+1: 
:?

Quote from: dependan on March 01, 2012, 09:16:49 PM
:?

I'm surprised too.  I don't think anybody has ever agreed with me before!

:roll

Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

3,4 or 4,3. I love slothead look but they're a pain to string.

And if a Forum IV owner were gassing for one of these and had to part with their FIV to buy a FVI, I might just jump on a used FIV.

Quote from: PM33AUD on March 01, 2012, 03:05:12 PM
......  If you don't have interest in purchasing one of these guitars, feel free to be involved, but please do not cast a vote.............

I definately fit in this category, Phil.

I'm not interested in participating (although if I ever get another acoustic for myself it will likely be a 00 model Larrivee).  I'm already up to my armpits financing my forthcoming Forum V! So I'm out on that account alone never mind justifying it to my wife (and myself for that matter)

So, as an interested "fly on the wall" I offer the following thoughts.

My understanding is that your main concept/objective is to create another all mahogany instrument.  However, is a spruce top completely out of the question?
- would still sound awesome I'm sure.
-would not be almost a clone of the Forum IV; thus keeping it somewhat more distinct from all other Forum editions.
-could possibly bring the price down a bit, but I don't know much about that.

I say this because some current Forum IV owners or other all-hog owners might be more inclined to get involved as some have already hinted.  This might help in meeting the minimum number of committed orders.
     It may be Larrivee has a stash of some premium spruce just waiting to be used on a special edition like this.  I'm thinking some sitka with a redder color, exceptional stiffness, grain or something like that.

Rosette-wise, wouldn't it be awesome if the traditional Larrivee wood rosette could be used?

As far as slot-head VS paddle head, I have no basis for comparison and I don't know if preferences are based on sound/tone differences, aesthetics, ease of stringing/tuning or whatever?  My preference would be a paddle head as that's what I'm used to.

Regarding the scale length, I don't really know what I would want.  I would rely on and defer to whatever the majority of this learned group chose.

Just my musings.

Kurt
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Hog And Sitka 00's have been made in several series and S.E. The F- IV was the first 03 series all mahogany made and only 29 of them.

What Phil has presented above is very well done. Personally I see all the other opinions at this point as a good way too derail the idea completely.

Quote from: dependan on March 01, 2012, 11:07:09 PM
Hog And Sitka 00's have been made in several series and S.E. The F- IV was the first 03 series all mahogany made and only 29 of them.

What Phil has presented above is very well done. Personally I see all the other opinions at this point as a good way too derail the idea completely.

Not in my case, that's for sure.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

I think one of the key reasons folks love the IV so much is the fact that it's an all mahogany guitar, which is definitely more uncommon and has a tone I really like.

For the VI, I am going to hold fast to the mahogany and satin finish.  Keep in mind the gloss would put this into xx-05 territory and I don't want to go there.  As was uncovered in another thread, folks who missed out on the IV are bummed.  Since they're such great guitars those with the IV want to keep them and us who missed the ship can't snag one.  I've listened to as many clips as I could find (Denis' are amazing!) and feel the IV was a really awesome guitar in many aspects.  This is in that vain, but with a little twist to set it apart.

I understand the VI will not be for everyone and that's OK!  Maybe the VII will go back to spruce top and gloss, etc... and someone else can head that endeavor.  I think the configurations I've presented are about as far as I'd like to go for the major changes.  I will investigate the more cosmetic variations such as the rosette to see how that could be done and if it would fit the style.  The scale for this guitar will be 25.5"

Thanks!
Phil

Congrats Phil!  Looks like you've got the FVI well on its way! 

So will they be made in Vancouver if they're 03 series?  Either way, if it happens, I hope there's a bunch of pictures taken during the build like they've done for the last couple of builds.  How many are confirmed so far? 

3,1,4,2...............would love the cutaway in this!!!!!!! :bowdown:
Taylor 424ce SL
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Rainsong OM
Composite Acoustics OX Raw ( Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Prestige Eclipse

Denis, looks like we're already half-way there!  Impressive!  They will be made in Vancouver (they mentioned having to add tooling for the slotted HS in Vancouver since that's apparently setup in CA).

dkoloff: mahogany cutaway would be AWESOME!