Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Installed a K&K pure mini in my L-05.  (Read 5832 times)
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2012, 07:02:14 AM »

Phil, Thanks??   wacko
I think I actually understand some of that.  So, can a mis-match in impedence that isn't too huge, be compensated for with a well-designed pre-amp that has a good selection of control parameters?  I'm thinking yes based on my setup (K&K passive SBTs with Para DI pre-amp).  I can get what I consider a well-balanced acoustic sound with the tone/eq controls.  At the same time, I am able to provide an input signal to my amp. that is nice and clean and still has a strength (level?, voltage?) that makes it come out the same volume from the amp. as my main electric guitar with it's volume set at 7ish.  So when I switch from one to the other, they come out of the amp. at the same volume relative to the rest of the instruments in the band.

The Para DI is not a pre-amp designed to easily adjust on the fly during a song like an on-board one or a belt clip one.  (I suppose you could hang it on a mic stand in front of you).  You mostly "set it and forget it" for each guitar and/or change in venue.  That is why I have a volume pedal in my setup as well.  So, during a number where I'm playing my acoustic, I can control the volume with the foot pedal.  If I'm playing the electric, I have both the volume control on the guitar, and the volume pedal at my disposal.  I switch between the two guitars with a simple foot-switch box on the floor.  The acoustic chain goes from the guitar into the pre-amp, out from the pre-amp into input channel B on the switchbox.  The electric guitar plugs directly into channel A of the foot-switch.  The output from the switchbox goes into the amp.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

PM33AUD

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2012, 02:53:52 AM »

:)

If you're using a decent preamp (the ParaDI appears to be a good one) that has a high IP impedance (the paraDI does), then you're probably golden.  Again, the cable length still matters as it will create a voltage divider (reduce the voltage) with the IP impedance of the preamp.  This is probably not a huge deal, really, and any effects of this can be compensated for in the preamp (in both gain (volume) and frequency response (EQ)).

Seems like you've got a setup that works for you so I'd not worry!

Phil
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2012, 05:42:10 AM »

Thanks for your insights.  So far, it's been doing the job for me.

Kurt

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: