Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What must not happen has happened - Top has cracked! (or has it?).  (Read 3431 times)
Anders451

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2012, 10:52:36 AM »

A small update

I've now been to a guitar tech who said: "This is nothing. And if it was something, we wouldn't do anything at this point". He didn't feel anything out of the ordinary and hardly saw the line.
The shrinking/separation isn't progressing and it's actually slowly becoming less and less forthcoming.
So, I take it that the guitar is fine. I feel relieved!
It's quite amusing that the same guitar tech said, when I called him, that the guitar for sure had cracked and then he changed his mind when he saw the guitar in person. Just as unclrob has written before, it's really hard to give a correct diagnose without seeing it in real life.

@frankhond: I better get another one then. Maybe I can get my hands on one of those "hallgren-stickorna" :)

@rockstar_not: It's a small world. I study at the University in Trollhättan and live just half an hour away. I'm glad you enjoyed Sweden! If IKEA doesn't have hushållsost, give me your adress and I'll send you some  

People keep complimenting that sitka spruce top. I better get some nice pictures and put it on this page soon :)
Thanks everyone. I greatly appreciate it!

Regards,

04' Larrivée L-09 Collectors Edition 26 of 50
90s' Yamaha Classical

Q: How many guitars does a man need?
A: One more.

I'm from Sweden. The home of Levin, Hagström & Sundberg Guitars.
We also ride polarbears to work on a daily basis. Yes, it's true.
SMan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2012, 01:49:16 PM »

Thanks for the update.  I always like to get to the end of the story.  Sounds like great news.   

The only part of this I find odd is :   
And if it was something, we wouldn't do anything at this point
  If I thought a crack was developing I would cleat or glue or something.  Again this is just me. 

One thing about wood when it is book matched it can sometimes appear to look like a crack when it isn't.  I agonized when jointing the tops on the two guitars I have built trying to get the Joint looking "just right". One would think a vertical grain on a spruce top is a simple deal but can look funny if attention isn't paid during the process.  All this is just my opinion however and your mileage, as they say, "may vary". 

Steve ....aka the SMan
Anders451

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2012, 02:30:56 PM »

The only part of this I find odd is:
   If I thought a crack was developing I would cleat or glue or something.

Again this is just me.  

I could have misunderstood what he said but as the situation was that: A thin line is showing, a separation could be in progress and the finish is unharmed. Measures to fix a crack would be to basically rip up the finish, push glue into the "gap", aggressively humidify and add new finish would be too drastic at this time.
I believe his point was that it was better to wait and see. I understand your point though. If he would've suggested a repair, I would probably go for it as I want what's best for the guitar. I don't really care if it costs me much or if the Larrivée gets lowered value. I won't be planning to sell the guitar for another 70 years or so anyway.

Ahh, yes! I suppose it could be tough to make it look good. I hope it worked out well for you! A very thin line is fine by me (which it is now) but as you put it in words earlier, it looked funny when you could see it more clearly :) Even if it shows a little bit, the Larrivée makes it up by sounding so nice!

Thanks for the coffee & donuts  

Regards,

90s' Yamaha Classical

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2012, 03:34:47 PM »

Anders Really glad all has worked out.DON'T loss that tech he's good and a credit to the trade.Sometime's a repair can cause more damage and waiting is the right way to go.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
skatalite

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 03:12:05 AM »

Ah  man, humidity (or lackthereof) issues. I hate em.

If you use a humidifier with the guitar in its case, measure the humidity level inside the case. The level outside of the case might not tell you much about the conditions inside of the case.

My Larrivee lives in its case year-round. The Oklahoma winter this year has had humidity drop to as low as 28 in my house, though that's rare. I'd say the average is 35 to 38 percent. Though on those days when humidity drops below 40 percent, or even above 60 percent, I check my guitars daily. The case that came with my Larrivee (standard flattop case) is a great one, as it creates a microclimate inside the case. So even though it's 28 percent in the room, it's 44 to 46 percent in the case.

Also, make sure to use a good hygrometer. I've gone through a lot of duds, and this is the one I recommend to everyone: http://www.amazon.com/Western-Humidor-CALIBER3-Thermometer-Hygrometer/dp/B0007W1EA6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331089565&sr=8-1

I have four of those and they're all accurate and all read the same if placed in the same room.

Also, depending where you keep your guitars, I'd look into getting a room humidifier. Don't know what's available in Sweden, but over here in the states you can find a good humidifier that'll control a bedroom (about 300 square feet) for about $50, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Crane-Gallon-COOL-humidifier-White/dp/B001ADL1SG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331089874&sr=8-1

Don't fret, good sir! A lot of this stuff is preventable, albeit requires some investment into additional products.
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2012, 04:27:05 AM »

@anders451:

I'm not sure you can ship dairy products internationally as an individual.  Otherwise, I would definitely take you up on your offer.  Some knäckebrod med smör och hushållsost - smakar bra!

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Anders451

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2012, 02:31:39 PM »

@anders451:

I'm not sure you can ship dairy products internationally as an individual.  Otherwise, I would definitely take you up on your offer.  Some knäckebrod med smör och hushållsost - smakar bra!

"Due to American bioterrorist regulations, it is impossible today to send diary products to USA as a private person". So you're right..
Great swedish! You're ready to order in a restaurant with that 

looks harmless though 

90s' Yamaha Classical

ewalling

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2012, 04:14:46 AM »

I don't have anything useful to say about this except to say that I had a great year in your country, in the town of Karlskrona, way back in the late 80s teaching at the Kursverksamheten. I got into an Irish-Swedish folk band there and got to play a Levin. Good times!     

P.S. Good luck with the crack!
GGBB

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2012, 02:49:14 PM »

Also, make sure to use a good hygrometer. I've gone through a lot of duds, and this is the one I recommend to everyone: http://www.amazon.com/Western-Humidor-CALIBER3-Thermometer-Hygrometer/dp/B0007W1EA6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331089565&sr=8-1

Wow - that looks very similar to the Oasis that I have for a much lower price:

Wouldn't surprise me if they're basically the same thing in a slightly different enclosure.

Gord

Larrivée C-09 | DeArmond M-75 | Squier '51 (modified) | Ibanez AF105 | Takamine EF360SC | Yamaha BBG5S (modified) | Rockbass Corvette Classic 5 Active
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: