Your favorite time of the day to play guitar...

Started by LarriDave, February 21, 2012, 08:11:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I think I prefer mornings. If I work all day, my hands are sore, and it is not as fun.
During the morning I need to be a bit quieter so my wife can continue sleeping...

in the mornings i like to exercise/practice   and in the evenings i like to play.. anytime in between is a combination of the two unless someone is over for lessons or whatever

My favorite time to play is when the kids leave me alone long enough.

Saturday mornings are good, as that is when I hit an acoustic jam down the way at a coffee shop. Sit up a while on Friday once the kids are down and get my act together. Wake up at 6 a.m., at the jam by 7 and play until 10 a.m.

Generally have a few guitars, two fiddles, upright bass, mandolin ... maybe a few other things depending.

Not a very "rock" time. But that's okay.
"Soulshine is better than sunshine, better than moonshine, damn sure better than rain."

Night owl here.  Or vampire, not sure which.

Starting around 9:30 p.m. I wake up.  It's annoying being a working stiff and all, but I would rather stay up every night until 3 or 4 am.  Hence why I am up right now (1 am).  Just put down my L-02.  Night songs are the best.
~ Jason ~
www.cedarthieves.com
Larrivée L-02 circa 1999
Larrivée OM-05 Satin circa 2012

My too-busy life finds it best to play before heading to bed at night.  Soothes a lot of tension and sets things mostly right again.
Play it daily for best results.

In the evening with the lights low looking out over the city lights from my living room.
Steve ....aka the SMan

If I'm on a deadline to learn something first thing in the morning is the best time.  This way the guitar time is not dependent on the outcome of any other activity.

If there is nothing pressing then any time night or day works fine. Ideally, I'll pick a time when I don't have any commitments coming up. I prefer not to have to watch the clock while playing.

Being and OLD fart, and fortunate enough to be retired, there is a song that describes best time to play...
ANYTIME...you're feeling lonely, ANYTIME, you're feeling blue, or happy or just ANYTIME...

:guitar
Larrivee 000-60
Martin 000-28 VS
Guild Mark II
Alvarez Yairi CY 127 CE
Alvarez Yairi CY 140 CE
Two cats who like my playing

Played only 10 min this morning before going to work... man, what 10 min! I like to play in the morning if I have a chance,
sets things right for the rest of the day.  :coffee

Quote from: prof_stack on February 26, 2012, 09:52:52 PM
My too-busy life finds it best to play before heading to bed at night.  Soothes a lot of tension and sets things mostly right again.

:+1:

Pretty much any time of the day for me as well.  Mostly after dinner on weekdays or early morning on weekends before breakfast.  Sometimes I play while watching sports (muted).  The guitar, if I have new acquisition get a play time for the first 2-3 weeks and then pretty much rotate my other guitars, LV-09, OM-03, Breedlove Passport, or a beater Sigma SDR-28.  But there's always one that is out, my sofa/travel guitar - the Takamine Gmini NS.

:beer

"Larrivee, I'm lovin' it!"

I tend to play whenever I get a chance. Some days I'll only play maybe an hour but most times I play a few hours in the evening and whenever I can on weekends. I'm a relative beginner playing for only about 2 years now but playing my L-03, Bakersfield and RS-4 keeps me plenty motivated. Mostly play blues and rock but would like to delve into jazz one day.
RS-4 Forum V Mini's,

Quote from: Jscott on February 25, 2012, 03:43:34 PM
in the mornings i like to exercise/practice   and in the evenings i like to play.. anytime in between is a combination of the two unless someone is over for lessons or whatever

Ditto!  On an ideal day, I practice in the a.m. (and I really do like to practice) and at night I like to wind down by just playing.  Sometimes I just noodle.  It's "my time". 
Larrivee OM-50
Larrivee Forum IV - #19
Willson 3400S Eb Tuba
Wessex BBb Helicon

Right after dinner.

Sit down in front of the music stand and work through some things while the boy is working on homework and the little girl is playing. Then, when they are both down, I pick up again and just run excercises and scales.

"Soulshine is better than sunshine, better than moonshine, damn sure better than rain."

After my son goes to bed , fresh log on the fire ,wife reads across from me ,my yellow lab lays bye the fireplace.
I really enjoy this time because all electronics are off.

Quote from: DJ in FL on February 27, 2012, 06:43:26 PM
Being and OLD fart, and fortunate enough to be retired, there is a song that describes best time to play...
ANYTIME...you're feeling lonely, ANYTIME, you're feeling blue, or happy or just ANYTIME...

:guitar

:+1: :+1: :+1:
RW Skaggs, the tinman:

Acorn House Custom by Chris Kenney:Tinman "Heart   Guitar" SJ; Osage Orange; Master Grade Italian Spruce; Inlay by Jimi Wingert   :D
Rainsong H-DR1100N2
McKnight Mini-Mac V; Madagascar + Italian double top
John Helton Custom OM; Honduran Mahogany Burl
Seagull Parlor in Nashville high tuning

I woke up at 2:15 am. Picked up my guitar, I turned the light back off and practiced for the next 45 minutes flat on my back in bed in the dark until I had really worked out the bugs in a Johnny Mercer tune I play fingerstyle/no sangin'.
When I woke up this morning, I had that tune pretty well nailed and I think I can perform it this weekend.

Weeknights, my wife is usually early to bed, so head I downstairs and practice for an hour and a half every evening.  Most nights, I concentrate on the hardest passages of whatever I am learning, and do the stuff that drives anyone listening crazy: running the same couple of measures over and over again, gradually increasing speed until I have it up to tempo and locked into muscle memory.  I wonder how many others have that problem of having a space to do real "woodshedding" without turning your housemates into potential axe murderers.  Anyway, every couple of nights, I'll relax and play for pure pleasure, running through both what I'm working on and stuff that I have down cold.   I also get up weekdays in time to put in maybe a half hour of playing however much of a new piece I've gotten down so far at tempo, just to tamp home the work I did the night before. 

Weekends, it's catch as catch can.  Since she's not getting up early the next day, my wife will stay up later, so I sometimes end up with guitar in my hands in front of the TV late in the late hours.  Then, I'll again do the repetitive stuff while watching the tube, not paying much attention to what my hands and fingers are doing--more muscle memory work, I guess. 
OMV-40
OM-3R
LV-03
Martin OMC-15E
Late 70's Univox Acoustic
Kentucky Mandolin

I work a typical M-F and learned that if I pick up during the weekday AM, before work....I start looking at the clock going "Crap.....work in 42 minutes and I still need to make Lucho for the kids".  Saturday & Sunday mornings are bliss..........4AM until 7ish when everyone is still sleeping.  My time and I cherish the play time. :smile:

Quote from: Jeff on March 09, 2012, 11:23:09 AM
Most nights, I concentrate on the hardest passages of whatever I am learning, and do the stuff that drives anyone listening crazy: running the same couple of measures over and over again, gradually increasing speed until I have it up to tempo and locked into muscle memory.  I wonder how many others have that problem of having a space to do real "woodshedding" without turning your housemates into potential axe murderers. 
I understand, Jeff.
I live alone and no one would tolerate my practicing, especially when I am woodshedding a new piece for 90 minutes at a sitting. I'm not sure how I put up with it.