Your favorite time of the day to play guitar...

Started by LarriDave, February 21, 2012, 08:11:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi everyone,

I thought I would ask you guys what are your favorite times of the day (or the night) for playing your guitar.
I guess it's a matter of preference and convenience. It might also depend on your mood, on the weather, etc...
Maybe some prefer the blues when it's cold and rainy, some may prefer a jazzy play when sunny....  :nana_guitar
Some may like it first thing in the morning, some may prefer it after a good coffee.

What's your preference, and what determines the time at which you play and the kind of music you play? Be as specific as you want.
Lastly, which instrument do you play, and do you prefer a specific model more than others at a given time of the day?

I'll start .... I like to play a variety of styles (blues, rock, pop, some jazz, classical etc...), and during workdays it's difficult to
play before the evening. But sometimes, I like to play just 5-10 min before going to work. Great way to start the day!
If I have a chance to come not too late in the afternoon, I really like afternoon/early evening play. Very relaxing and frees your mind after a hard day of work. I often play some before going to bed as well, it seems to relax me and make me sleep better. Music has healing powers I guess.

And BTW, have some donuts...  :donut :donut :donut :donut  :coffee

Back in my single days (70's) I was on duty at the med center from 4 pm to 12:30 am.  That was at the LACUSC Med Center, and I lived in Huntington Beach, so it was about an hours drive to get home.  When I got home, and all the rest of the world was asleep, I used to play for an hour or so, and then I was ready for bed.  Sometimes, I'd interrupt my playing for a short walk on the beach, but it was all good......

I keep a guitar next to the bed. I like to get up about 5:00am and grab a cup of coffee and play for an hour or so before I get ready for work. Sometimes I have trouble sleeping so I'll play in the middle of the night.
Before I go to bed, I will either read or...
well, you know- play guitar for a while.
Tuesday nights I play at a coffeehouse about 15 miles from home.
Saturday afternoons I play in the lobby of the University Main Hospital for patients, their families and staff.
You'd think with all this practice that I could play the darned thing; huh?  :crying:

For me every chance I get anytime of day or night.If I'm not learning a new tune then lately I've been working on my slide playing in standard tuning and how I can use the slide as a rythm instrument.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Oddly enough, early morning and at night.
Of course I play on "normal" daytime aswell  :laughin:
04' Larrivée L-09 Collectors Edition 26 of 50
90s' Yamaha Classical

Q: How many guitars does a man need?
A: One more.

I'm from Sweden. The home of Levin, Hagström & Sundberg Guitars.
We also ride polarbears to work on a daily basis. Yes, it's true.

All day, whenever there's free time.
GUITARS: Larrivee P-05, Dupont MC-50, NRP 12-fret "B", Robert Sayers custom flat-top, Cervantes Crossover 1, Todd Korup custom banjo-uke, McSpadden dulcimer, PRS 22 semi-hollow ltd, PRS DC3
AMPLIFICATION: RA-400, Rivera Venus 3

Seems early in the morning I play  better ... Late evenings (especially those 9 to 1 or the dreaded 10 to 2 gigs) I start to fade..

Quote from: pflynn1325 on February 21, 2012, 02:17:54 PM
Evening for sure....

Same with me. Probably because I spend 5 days a week at work and only get a chance to play in the evening to unwind.

Thanks Walkerman, Queequeg, unclrob and everyone who responded for sharing with us. Great stuff!

Which model do you guys play, and is there a particular guitar that you prefer at a given time?

If I had my day to myself (as I used to) then it would be 8a-10a.  But now it's evening after work.  I'd say 7p-9p.  I mix it in with general computer use.  Play 5 or 6 songs, surf the web, play some more.  Like that.

My best ideas come in the morning for songwriting , by mid-morning if a song hasn't come out I start working on cover tunes , if they don't work out I work on my technique for the rest of the day. Usually around 5-6 I begrudgingly put it down and make dinner and spend the rest of the day with my family ,or at band practice on weekdays. Fri-Sun I gig everynight. I usually don't get much done on Saturday. "I love to play!!" , is a huge understatement! I want to go to the next level musically , and made my decision to forsake any kind of security about 5 yrs ago. I haven't had to work a day job now for about 2 years , of course my job skills aren't really conducive for security(lol)!!! The fact that I'm actually with a woman who understands that music is it for me and really is a job certainly does help!!
Larrivee D03RE
Fender Nashville B-Bender Tele
Republic Tricone
various banjo , mandolins, and lap steels

When I worked I used to get up at 0530 and play some jazz or blues on one of my archtops 'till 0630.   Usually the ES-125 or the L4-CES.  I found that was my bluest time of the day and the music helped me face the next 12 hours.   Those guitars don't get as much play as they used to now that I have the LV-03RE.

Now I sit behind a large window in the mid morning sun and play 60's, 70's pop and folk tunes.   I'll go over some fiddle tunes or country swing that I know I'll be playing next with my fiddle group.   
I love to teach my wife how to play.  She gets home from work around 1330 and we'll play for an hour or so.  She's a quick study and I find it stimulating to teach something...anything again.  Same big window, mid afternoon sun.

Man, I'm getting old.   
Larrivee LV-03RE
Gibson ES125
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson L4-CES
Epiphone Emperor Regent
Epiphone Sheraton
Gretsch G5120
NRJ FMA830
Vox Hollow Teardrop

Lately its been my LS10 but my OM03PA also gets some time mostley at night after 10 when all asleep,well except for the cats.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Anytime. Juggling freelance work, my work as a professional artist, kids, wife and workrelated travel... Guitars hang on the wall always ready, I grab one as soon as I have a moment free. Play mostly songs or song fragments, can't fit a proper routine into the fragmented schedule. But I get at least an hour per day, which is too little to play at the level I would like. During vacations or down periods I get 2-3 hours a day and the difference is dramatic.

At night, mostly. I work until 11 p.m.-midnightish, so I get home, change out of work clothes and pick up a guitar. I alternate between playing and watching TV until about 5 a.m. I wake up around 11 to noon, take the dogs outside, grabbing a guitar along the way. Play for an hour, then get ready for work.

For sure, I played a lot more in my single days.  Once you get married, have kids and such, the time just seems to slip away.  Needless to say, I am really looking forward to retirement.  One thing I did was make sure my sons had years of lessons, and became very good guitar players, so I would always have someone to play with.  Now, well, they're in their 20's and don't have much time for their old man....Cats in the Cradle...eh?

Today my younger son who is 30 said he wanted to show me a finger style he had just learned. He is a much better player than me. But I have more guitars. :tongue:

My favorite time of the day to play is when a guitar is in my hands...

which amounts to several hours a day.

My guitar is in the living room, on a stand and ready to use. every time I see it am tempted to take it in my hand...
If I have the time , I grab it even for few moments  :nana_guitar
Taylor GS Mini
Larrivee 003v-MH Vintage Sunburst
Larrivee C-10
Larrivee omv-10 Cedar Zircote
Larrivee RS-4 Lacewood
Larrivee RS-4 Forum V (No.6)