Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Changing the Nut - is it difficult?  (Read 2302 times)
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2012, 07:22:01 AM »

I set mine like Jeremy. I fret the string between the 2nd and 3rd fret and the gap between the string and the first fret really isn't measurable, I tap the string lightly against the first fret with my index fingernail and I can't see it move but I can hear the distinct sound of the string hitting the fret. So I know it is not laying on the first fret and there is a gap although a very small one.  This method may not work for everyone but I don't experience any back buzz, or any front buzz.
I'm going to try that method on the next one I set up and see how it turns out.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

maLavvo

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 12:08:44 PM »

+1

Very very good discussion guys.  I thank everyone for sharing their ideas. I'm really glad and proud that I joined this Forum.

"Larrivee, I'm lovin' it!"
GGBB

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2012, 03:59:43 PM »

+1  Yes - a great discussion.  I'm going to try to process all this and remember for when I do my next nut.

Gord

Larrivée C-09 | DeArmond M-75 | Squier '51 (modified) | Ibanez AF105 | Takamine EF360SC | Yamaha BBG5S (modified) | Rockbass Corvette Classic 5 Active
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2012, 05:44:14 PM »

On acoustics, I set the string height above the first fret as follows: E - .022", A - .021", D - .020", G - .019", B - .018", e - .017". 

I got curious and measured one of mine.
Low E- .018"
high e- .017"

That's with no buzz either.

L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2012, 10:24:17 AM »

I got curious and measured one of mine.
Low E- .018"
high e- .017"

That's with no buzz either.
Jeremy, thanks for those measurements.  I have to set up an older MIJ dreadnaught and I'm going to use the method you suggest to set the string height at the nut.  I'll post my measurements once I am done so we can compare.

Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2012, 11:52:06 AM »

I set mine like Jeremy. I fret the string between the 2nd and 3rd fret and the gap between the string and the first fret really isn't measurable, I tap the string lightly against the first fret with my index fingernail and I can't see it move but I can hear the distinct sound of the string hitting the fret. So I know it is not laying on the first fret and there is a gap although a very small one.  This method may not work for everyone but I don't experience any back buzz, or any front buzz.

+1 that works for me too - I use the "magic click" method as well when I measure action at the 12th fret together with a feeler gauge - it is very acurate.

As for Brian Kimsey's articles: "the truth and nothing but the truth"

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
maLavvo

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2012, 08:38:32 PM »

On acoustics, I set the string height above the first fret as follows: E - .022", A - .021", D - .020", G - .019", B - .018", e - .017". 

Hi, just a follow-up question.  Are these measurements good for different type of body sizes accoustics, e.g. Dread, OM, Parlor etc.  Or there will be variations.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

-Paul

L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2012, 12:14:55 AM »

Hi, just a follow-up question.  Are these measurements good for different type of body sizes accoustics, e.g. Dread, OM, Parlor etc.  Or there will be variations.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

-Paul
I couldn't really say with any authority.  The measurements have worked out well on any steel-string acoustic I've set up.  I've mostly been dealing with dreadnaught types though, and haven't had much to do with smaller bodied guitars.  I don't imagine a difference of a couple of thousands either way would be that obvious and even though I'm pretty meticulus with my measuring, there's no doubt my final results won't be exactly the same on every guitar.  I'm more hung up on using a consistent and repeatable method than the actual final measurements.

Thanks for your interest.  I've still got lots to learn before I could be considered an expert on this stuff.

jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2012, 03:35:20 AM »

They'll probably work. Like L07 said a couple thousandths of an inch shouldn't make a huge difference. Guitars can be finicky though. I've got guitars where on one the action is set a couple notches (~.010") higher than the other but they feel the same. I also don't have the relief set the same. That's why I like the method I mentioned earlier. It's kind of like the guitar is telling you how high to set the nut slots. You just got to find what works for you.

maLavvo

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2012, 05:47:57 AM »

Well said guys. Thanks.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: