Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Tele lovers out there?  (Read 4015 times)
HAMFIST

Ignore
« on: February 12, 2012, 04:12:22 PM »

Since Larrivee has that new Tele-style guitar, I figure they have some inside understanding of what their customer base likes.

So any Tele players out there? Larrivee or otherwise?

Not sure I'll be in the market for a Larrivee Bakersfield as I am kind of cheap and tend to build my own FrankenTeles. Here is my homebrew Thinline ... Musikraft body with black korina top over ash, Dimarzio Twang Kings and wiring that allows you to run the pickups in series for a thicker tone when you want it.

So go ahead ... regale me with tales of your Teles!

"Soulshine is better than sunshine, better than moonshine, damn sure better than rain."
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 05:32:48 PM »

I have been a devout teleguy since 1974.Yes I have used other guitars but always had a tele.Now the only electrics I have are teletype's that I've built.I would love to add a Bakersfield to my tools as its the first factory made teletype that has felt and sounded right to me.I wish I had the quid to have a couple of Fenders but have you seen the price's on 56 tele's and finding let alone affording a 61 tele I could pay off my house and have money left over to get a couple of Bakersfield.As far as I'm concerned tele's are the perfect workhorse for a working played.My main teletype has 3 EMG pu's 2 bridge and a standard neck pu,my other one has a Fralin SP in the bridge and a Kent Armstrong dogeared P90 in the neck,a MIDI pu with a Bigsby.So adding a Bakersfield with a standard pu configuration would round out my tools nicely.I'd post pix but my old computer with all my pix on is down almost for the count and I haven't figured out how to download pix on the new computer.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
HAMFIST

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 05:46:10 PM »

Look forward to seeing some photos, Unclrob.

"Soulshine is better than sunshine, better than moonshine, damn sure better than rain."
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 07:58:09 PM »

My one-and-only electric is a USA Made G&L ASAT Classic Bluesboy.  I love the sound and hope one day to play it for all it's worth.

[attachment deleted by admin]
HAMFIST

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 01:46:41 AM »

My one-and-only electric is a USA Made G&L ASAT Classic Bluesboy.  I love the sound and hope one day to play it for all it's worth.

nice guitar

Yeah -- George Fullerton and Leo Fender knew how to build some guitars, boy let me tell you what.

Have always been impressed with G&L.

Ian

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 09:41:42 AM »

I'm a fellow Tele-nut!!
My main workhorse is a Blonde Fender Roadworn, with Joe Barden pickups, a Joe Barden Bridge, and a Black pickguard.
I've played Telecasters for 25 years or so....absolutely love them!!

Larrivee L-05[brGitane' DG-300 & DG-250 ] 2009 Fender RW Telecaster (Barden pickups/bridge)
97 Telecaster Plus
87 Telecaster
01 Warmoth Tele

01 Danelectro Baritone
  DR.Z MAZ 38 SR,
Visual Sound Route 66/H2o[Breedlove 00 Mandolin,Banjo's,

"...never could stand that dog..."Tom Waits
SouthpawGuy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 10:40:40 PM »

I'm a fan of tele style guitars, but as I'm a left handed player and Fender don't make a lefty tele with a rosewood board, ( seems like such a simple thing to ask for ), I went and bought a G&L ASAT Bluesboy semi hollow in '08. And as G&Ls are extremely addictive I now have quite a few ASATs. I also have a Fender Am Std Tele that I bought new in '98 but I seldom use it, poor thing doesn't stand a chance since I discovered G&L.

A few of the ASATs

Bluesboy semi

Bluesboy solid

ASAT Classic Custom

ASAT Special

ASAT Special Deluxe

Ian

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 12:48:41 AM »

Those are beautifull!!!

Larrivee L-05[brGitane' DG-300 & DG-250 ] 2009 Fender RW Telecaster (Barden pickups/bridge)
97 Telecaster Plus
87 Telecaster
01 Warmoth Tele

01 Danelectro Baritone
  DR.Z MAZ 38 SR,
Visual Sound Route 66/H2o[Breedlove 00 Mandolin,Banjo's,

"...never could stand that dog..."Tom Waits
HAMFIST

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 02:40:34 AM »

Okay -- F&L seems to lead this informal straw poll of Tele preference.

Some really cool axes there, Southpaw!

pabloX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 08:00:26 PM »

This is MY only electric guitar and I love her madly!  (wanna be her daddy...)  Don't ya love her face?  She's not all looks either, this California girl has tone to spare.

Larrivee L-03R -- Harmony Parlor -- Larrivee Bakersfield -- NACE M2-7R
randmag

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 10:52:45 PM »

This is MY only electric guitar and I love her madly!  (wanna be her daddy...)  Don't ya love her face?  She's not all looks either, this California girl has tone to spare.

Don't ya love her as she's walkin' out the door...to my house. I wish. That's a beauty. I have the same in Tobacco Burst so I can attest to the tone.

Those G&L's and homebrew Thinline are also very stunning.

RS-4 Forum V Mini's,
RS-4 Goldtop HB's,
Bakersfield burst,
L03,
HAMFIST

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 11:03:22 PM »

What are your impressions of the Bakersfield, pabloX? Where do you see the differentiation from a Fender or Partscaster?

With Tele style guitars, the basic structure is the same. I tend to find myself wondering about what makes one different from the other.

pabloX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 08:09:37 PM »

@HAMFIST

I can't speak to the "other" tele-style guitars.  I've only been playing about 6 years, and I honestly have never played another brand enough to say much one way or another. 

I do know that this guitar gives me the ability to create sounds that I have appreciated since my youth.  I was a drummer in several bands through my college years (almost cost me graduating a couple of times) and I got to know what I liked and what I did not.  Now, playing what I wanted to hear turned out to be a whole 'nuther row to hoe.  I really appreciate Billy Gibbon's funky growling Les Paul and SRV's soaring and sometimes gritty Strat sounds, but for me the Bakersfield with the mini in the neck allow me to make MY music and that 's all anyone can fairly ask of their instrument.

I had a Korina Reverend that I loved but could never quite get the hang of the P90's tone to my satisfaction.  I think Rev's are one of the great underrated guitar companies out there today and I'll probably own another some day.  Incidentally, they just came out wit the "Eastsider", a tele clone that does an out of phase thing with a push-pull volume pot.

That said, for now this is the best guitar I could have. 

pabloX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 09:25:47 PM »

By the way, your thinline PartsCaster looks pretty sweet.      I've thought about a Franken-Cabronita build, just have to store up some cash you know.

steam-powered

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 12:51:23 AM »

I think that anybody who grew up watching Hee-Haw has an affinity towards the tele sound.

Here's Buck playing some nice licks on his tele:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8Fceovsarw

GUITARS: Larrivee P-05, Dupont MC-50, NRP 12-fret "B", Robert Sayers custom flat-top, Cervantes Crossover 1, Todd Korup custom banjo-uke, McSpadden dulcimer, PRS 22 semi-hollow ltd, PRS DC3
AMPLIFICATION: RA-400, Rivera Venus 3
HAMFIST

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 02:20:10 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBeOddejiGw

HAMFIST

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 02:26:48 AM »

Here is one of my heroes, Robben Ford ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmPn_yVguhA&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL715B47C5571C8188

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2GeLEHAaEQ&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL715B47C5571C8188

He tends to play some fancier guitars a good deal of the time, and I don't think he gets the best tone out of a Tele through those Dumble amps. But he's still Robben Ford!

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 02:43:11 PM »

A "Tele" style guitar is a wild beast, you have to learn how to tame it somewhat, and also how to work with it! It's not for the faint of heart (or ears!).

The Strat is like the nice girl who smiles and is easy to get along with, the Tele is the girl who doesn't take any guff from you and talks back, but she's the one you're most attracted to because of her attitude!

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 03:15:46 PM »

A "Tele" style guitar is a wild beast, you have to learn how to tame it somewhat, and also how to work with it! It's not for the faint of heart (or ears!).

The Strat is like the nice girl who smiles and is easy to get along with, the Tele is the girl who doesn't take any guff from you and talks back, but she's the one you're most attracted to because of her attitude!

So true,so true......

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
HAMFIST

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2012, 03:06:04 AM »

Dunno. The tele is a low output guitar, so you don't get a lot of compression to smooth over your sloppy playing. There is a reason a guy like Jimmy Page played an LP rather than a Tele.

But not every Tele has to have that ice pick to the forehead tones to it. The Dimarzio Twang Kings I have are nice and bell-like. Not harsh in the least. I have played some standard Teles that also just sound very balanced and pleasant.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: