Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Sharp' strings in DADGAD?  (Read 623 times)
gracem

Ignore
« on: February 06, 2012, 12:42:34 AM »

Funny thing at church this morning - I was leading singing - I had another acoustic guitar player, so I tuned down to DADGAD so we would sound somewhat complementary.  All seemed fine, but then I started hearing some sharp string sounds during warming up - checked tuning and all was fine - and figured out that I was the source of the sharp sounds.  Long story short, I had changed strings a few weeks back - trying out some different I was given at Christmas - the lower couple strings were a bit lighter gauge than I usually use (I think) - combined with de-tuning - and bingo, my 'normal' fretting could cause the lower strings to sound quite sharp - somewhat easily.  Came home, played around a bit and re-strung with EJ17's and the 'problem' went away (in DADGAD).  I had heard of this before, but it was a very different thing to experience it, and to compensate by fingering 'lightly', etc while playing.  Nice to figure it out.   
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 03:34:21 AM »

Another couple reasons to use thicker strings.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 04:47:56 PM »

It also could have been caused by using too much pressure on frets that are tall. With a detuned light gauge string you can pull them sharp inadvertently. That's probably why so many people like the heavier strings.

Check your grip pressure and maybe you can save wear and tear on the guitar (not to mention your fingertips).

f

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: