Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Artist Are You Most Influenced By?  (Read 6821 times)
wyodeb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2004, 04:48:18 AM »

another Moodies fan!
Saw them at Red Rocks Amphitheater in Colorado in the early eighties. Simply Awesome!! I need to get a turntable!

Deb

Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R
poki
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2004, 08:20:35 AM »

At least in regards to playing the guitar, my musical tastes are of slower, mellow songs like Jim Croce's Time in a Bottle or House of the Rising Sun (don't know who wrote that song)...i think i'd like to learn some Beetles songs like Here Comes the Sun, Let it Be.  These are the artists/songs not chosen for their technical prowess but for the way they make me feel and are therapeudic to the mind and soul...
poki B)  

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor
brachurricane

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2004, 06:34:03 AM »

I dream about playing like Sean Watkins of Nickel Creek.
Akustik

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2004, 07:30:03 AM »

My influences are John Mayer, Dave Matthews, SRV,Jonny Lang, Sean Watkins, really just a bunch of different type of players!
hcole

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2004, 02:42:15 PM »

I am pretty new to the guitar (8 months or so) but the music I enjoy the most (and subsequently like to play the most is) is the dreaded Dave Matthews.  I also really like Chris Isaak and have tryed to learn some of his stuff.  I have also tried my hand at some Bowie,Beattles, Stone Temple Pilots, Tom Petty, Blue Oyster Cult and others.  
G-Man777

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2004, 01:27:43 AM »

When the music bug hit me first in the 60's...it was the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, Glen Miller & Count Basie (my dad was a huge Big Band fan)...then in the 70's it turned to the Eagles, Moody Blues, Rush, Scorpions & Led Zeppelin. Then in the 80's, Phil Keaggy, Randy Stonehill, Rez Band and Petra...the 90's it was The Cult, Metallica, & Scorpions...Nowadays I can't get enough of listening to Michael Hedges, Doyle Dykes, Scorpions and I still enjoy listening to the acoustic stuff Zeppelin did. Matt Redman is a big influence now as well.

Naboz mentioned about listening to a song that transports us to the past...for some reason Jim Croce's music does that to me...as much as it is beautiful music, I seem to get sad for some reason and can't listen to it without my eyes tearing up...LOL, and for that same reason I get weird feelings when I listen to Eddie Money...seems everytime the guy had a hit, some gal was breaking up with me.

David
mcozma

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2004, 01:40:36 PM »

For the music, lyrics, and atmosphere, Roger Waters is my #1 reference.

Mike
OM-03R
atlantic

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2004, 10:23:18 PM »

The older I get, the more musical discoveries I seem to make. Impossible to narrow it down to even just a few. I went through an obssessive Zep faze during the eighties, Beck, Hendrix, Allman Brothers, etc. Been really into Clapton over the past couple of years in particular, as well as the blues guys (Guy, Kings, Bloomfield, Collins, J. Vaughan, ......). Also getting more into R. Thompson, Prine, Waits, John Martyn, etc. Getting away from guitars, I love Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Sinatra, ...

Oh yeah, can't forget RAY CHARLES.
guitarcrazy

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2004, 02:10:46 AM »

Some great artists listed here.  Poki mentioned Here Comes The Sun, which is one of my favorite George Harrison (with the Beatles) tunes, and it is surprisingly easy to play.  Once you figure out the capo position, it is mostly open chords.  There are a few quicker runs in the break, but mostly pretty easy.  For years and years I wanted to play that one, but never tried because it sounded hard.  One day I opened up Acoustic Guitar Mag, and they had a version that was pretty close, and pretty easy.  That got me into a lot more songs that I had never bothered to try (blackbird, dear prudence).  As you can tell I like the Beatles.  I also really like Neil Young, Ryan Adams, Lucinda Williams, and most blues rock.  That is why I like the guitar so much, you can always learn something new, and there are tons of great songs that are fairly easy to pick up.  Even when I get too busy to play real regular, I can go back and it is like resuming a conversation that never really ended.  Anyway, thanks for posting these great influences.  Now if only I had talent!  Jason.

P.S., Chris, how did the top polishing come out?

http://www.notableguitars.com
My guitars:

Larrivee OM-50
Fender Strat
Larrivee OM-03MT
kwakatak
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2004, 03:44:12 AM »

My influences are a mish-mash of conflicting types of music. I may have no taste - I can't tell. Sometimes I try to draw influence from music that is not necessarily guitar-oriented. I prefer to focus on melodies and rhythms over technique. I rely on tab, play by ear and generally look to get the 'gist' of the musical arrangement. Call it what you will, but I'm just doing this for personal enjoyment for now. Here's my list:

Jimmy Page
Randy Rhodes
Mark Knopfler
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Peter Gabriel
Cat Stevens

BTW - I've recently discovered fingerstyle guitar and and am currently obsessed with Tommy Emmanuel, Chet Atkins, Laurence Juber and Martin Taylor as well.

Neil

2009 Martin D-16GT

2006 Larrivée OM-03R

1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish

1989 Kramer 610

1973 Takamine F-360 ("Martin Lawsuit" all-laminate D-28 clone)
Dr. LJ

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2004, 08:46:43 PM »

For fingerpicking, Mississippi John Hurt.  I used to wear out the recordings learning his songs.
For flatpicking, without a doubt, Dan Crary.  His style of playing fiddle tunes and Celtic numbers just blew me away first time I heard him.  Of course, Tony Rice set my mind to thinking a bit, too!

LJ
hcole

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2004, 12:27:51 PM »

P.S., Chris, how did the top polishing come out?
Jason,  after getting the guitar I decided I liked it the way it was and decided not to polish it.  Like you told me when it first arrived, the top has a kinda vintage look to it and I didn't want touch it.  The rw is also beautiful and I decided that since I was happy with how it looked there wasn't any need to change it.
BlueWing

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2004, 05:36:52 PM »

Neil Young, Maybelle Carter & Dave Alvin.

I like guitarists who are good but not so good that I could never figure out how to play their songs.

Dave Alvin is more known for his electric guitar playing (with the Blasters) but his acoustic playing is pretty amazing.  Check out his CD's "King of California" or "Public Domain".  He must have listened to a lot of Carter Family stuff because his acoustic style is a variation on Carter picking using a thumb pick and index finger.

BlueWing
Larrivee SD-50
Fisherman

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2004, 07:17:59 PM »

Am I going to get shot down for saying James Taylor?! :o Phil Keaggy, Sting Bowie, Knoffler.
hcole

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2004, 04:19:39 PM »

Am I going to get shot down for saying James Taylor?! :o Phil Keaggy, Sting Bowie, Knoffler.
I don't think anyone will shoot you down for saying JT.  No one shot me down for saying Dave Matthews, which is a popular thing to do on other forums I visit.:o
Dr. LJ

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2004, 11:29:29 PM »

Fisherman, James Taylor is a very interesting and talented guitarist.  Nothing wrong with listing him as an influence.

LJ
dbirchett
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2004, 01:40:06 AM »

When I was first starting to play the guitar, the people I listed to the most were the Ventures. Still listen to them from time to time.

Don

Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP crying
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi
GTR Florentine Special
SR

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2004, 02:09:40 AM »

Like most here I have a wide range of people who have had an impact on me. Fisherman it's ok to say James Taylor  :D one of the Artists that I've been inspired by Paul Baloche was also influnced by James Taylor  :) sometimes I even think I hear his style in Paul singing  :D  which is a cool thing in my books  

Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2004, 11:36:26 AM »

How about Tom Rush. Great mellow voice and open tuning finger style.

I had been thinking of the influence his early works had on me when I was learning to play guitar. I had to go looking, but he appears to still be going strong.

http://tomrush.com/

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
mnewton

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2004, 04:04:24 PM »

Shane Barnard
Dave Crowder
Derek Webb
Caleb Caruth

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: