Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Artist Are You Most Influenced By?  (Read 6819 times)
hatman

Ignore
« on: January 08, 2004, 04:17:41 PM »

I think I have probably been most influenced by Eric Clapton.
It starts with his involvement in Cream, Derrick and the Dominos, etc. Then progressing through his years as an independent artist, his playing with his blues greats, playing both electric and acoustic.
I have only been really playing guitar for about four years, but have almost always had a guitar around to plink A,E,&G chords on.
But, I have always loved music. Particuarly blues and blues-rock music.
My credit to E.C. as a major influence is because he has been there all these years putting out music that I have been able to relate to since my very early years.
I don't think I try to play like him really. And I sure don't sound like him. But, I think in some ways we have the same love of the music.
Does that make sense. I hope so.
This is not an invitation to flame someone elses pick or choice, but hopefully to share our inspirations.
I'm looking foward to your responses. :rolleyes:  
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2004, 07:27:58 PM »

Been doing this for a long time.Started with the acoustic blue's player's,moved on thru folk.Beatle's,Stills,Crosby,Young,Havens,Kottke,Jorma.Got electric..Cropper,Motown,Bland,electric blue's of Muddy,Howlin,Allman,Betts.Really anything that make's me HUMMMMMM B)  

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
wyodeb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2004, 12:30:28 AM »

Peter, Paul & Mary, Simon & Garfunkel, Gordon Lightfoot, Arlo Guthrie...

Just an old folkie at heart.

Deb :D  

Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R
hatman

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2004, 04:26:42 AM »

Thanks unclrob and Deb.
Keep'um comin'. :D  
GIGGLER

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2004, 06:05:28 PM »

First song I learned was Little Red Riding Hood (Sam the Sham). Influences, in time order:
Beatles, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Loggins and Messina, Johnny Cash, Kristopherson, Riders in the Sky, Merle Travis, Chet Atkins, a bit of Rory Block, a bit of Lindsay Buckingham....still being influenced, but not much by new stuff.

Don't take no wooden nickles, and don't put beans in your ears.
hatman

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2004, 06:33:03 PM »

Wow, looking at all these artists and influences is so cool to me.
I keep saying to myself: Yes, Yes, and Yes that one too.
Isn't it interesting how we are influenced and/or effected by so many different things in life.
One of the things that still surprises me from time to time is when I hear a particular song or a particular artist and am almost transported back to a time or incident in my life. There are songs that represent different eras of my life. Heck, maybe that's a topic for another thread.
Barry. :D  
GIGGLER

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2004, 10:38:52 PM »

Hatman, start it! I'll post! I do the same thing....memorable times and the songs I relate to those times!

Don't take no wooden nickles, and don't put beans in your ears.
wyodeb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2004, 03:52:32 AM »

That's one of the best (and sometimes worst) things about music--its ability to  transport us to where we were and what we were doing when we heard it! I often wondered if everyone's life has a soundtrack, or if it was just me...

Deb

Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2004, 03:04:50 AM »

I listen to a lot of diff. music,that way my life has been a long strange tripp :D  

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
hatman

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2004, 04:36:05 PM »

And there is another thing.
Even a lot of our language, our phrasing, sayings, are influenced by songs.
"What a long strange trip it's been" is a very real discription of my life that I relate to and does about the best job of saying a lot in as few words.
It's probably been said in many different ways that are just as descriptive, but it is the one I relate to.
Just thoughts. I guess I am in a reflective mood lately. Lots of changes in my life, and I think this probably is bringing them on.
Barry.
Play2praiseHim

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2004, 08:18:58 PM »

I have a wide variety of influences. Growing up a first generation MTV  viewer, I was exposed to alot. I was influenced by the first ladies that I saw with a guitar..... Wendy Melvoin of Prince and the Revolution, Nancy Wilson of Heart, Wynonna Judd. Then later, I came to admire the poetic style of Ani Difranco and Jewel.  Then I discovered that most of the female gutiarist that I admire all noted someone named Joni Mitchell as an influence on them. WOW!!!!!  What a fanominal talent!!!!  No one does it like Joni!!!  I am still in awe of her.  I am greatly inspired by soul music of the 70's.  I love Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin, Natalie Cole, Donny Hathaway, Roberta Flack, and Curtis Mayfield.   I liek the new soul movement that is happening now. Alicia Keys, India Arie, Jill Scott, and Lauryn Hill.   Real music that sends a positive message, and can really touch the soul. With all that being said, Praise and Worhip is my reason for being....therefor, Jesus is my biggest and main influence.  In the words of Kirk Franklin  " He is the reason why I sing"
Play2praiseHim

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2004, 08:21:30 PM »

I forgot to mention that I love the art of true songwriting. No one does it like some of the ladies of Country like Dolly and Loretta.  
sc morris

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2004, 12:59:31 AM »

my playing is HEAVILY influenced by SRV....pretty original, huh??  but that seems typical of Texas guitar players.  

I was/am also very influenced by Clapton.  

Although my guitar playing doesn't even compare to their's, it's still fun to try.  

"I would never join a club that would allow me to be a member"
 Groucho Marx

Larrivee D-03 Blackwood w/ K&K Pure Western
Tony Capri

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2004, 06:13:05 PM »

An unusual mix perhaps, but probably mostly Michael Hedges & Jerry Garcia.

bino

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2004, 05:43:25 AM »

How about Townes Van Zandt???

Bino

Guild Maple Dreadnaught D30 (2001)
Morgan Mahogany OM (2003)
Larrivee Mahogany L-Model L05 (2008)
Larrivee Rosewood Dreadnaught D-03R (2012)
Guild Mahogany Sunburst Dreadnaught D40SBL (1977)
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2004, 04:42:14 PM »

Tony I can see the Hedges/Garcia thing.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
naboz
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2004, 01:58:35 AM »

I  see many that I have in my collection.  CSN, and Y were the best early influence, along w/Beatles and E.C. but also message and lyrically, the Moody Blues. Then I "discovered" jazz, or more so, the jazz fusion stuff;  Pat Metheny was/is and may always be my favorite influence, along with the giant leap that Michael Hedges took us with his treatment.  I say, when people ask  :rolleyes: , that my sound is an emulation of Metheny and Crosby.
Most recently, Alex DeGrassi is getting a lot of air-time too.

naboz
naboz
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2004, 02:04:57 AM »

Oh, and while we are juggling this thread,
It is sometimes really spooky where a song will transport you from your past.
Even seemingly ordinary instances are super-flashed when the music hits the hallways of Memory!  Whether sad, poignant, happy, or "altered" I wouldnt want to not have them.
p.s. I had Metheny playing in the Birthing Room when my kids were born!

naboz
Tony Capri

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2004, 02:10:36 PM »

Tony I can see the Hedges/Garcia thing.
 :D  

naboz - another Moodies fan! My first album, when I was a kid, was a hand-me-down copy of On The Threshold Of A Dream. To this day, they too are my most treasured artists. And Pat Metheny was also the first concert I saw when I was about 6. He is the reason I picked up the guitar. How do you like them apples... very cool.

I still keep up with everything they do, but I've always been a Mike Pinder kinda guy  ;)  .

naboz
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2004, 02:57:15 AM »

Tony,
Sounds like we have similar tastes, thems cool apples!  Now I am trying to place your age (sorry), as you went to Metheny at 6yrs.  I have seen him almost every time he has been near me in Mich.  And The Group's first album I took w/me to Cal. in 1979.

naboz
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: