Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many still have their first guitar?  (Read 9128 times)
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2012, 02:28:42 PM »

It doesn't get much play, but I still have my 1985 Peavey Milestone.  Technically it's not my first guitar, because I had a Washburn strat copy for a few weeks and the neck was still 'green' according to the store - they set it up 2 or 3 times over a 2 week period and it wouldn't stay in tune worth a darn.  They bought it back and I got the Peavey.  Pix:

High School graduation present - with a little Peavey 'backstage' amplifier.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Michael T
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2012, 03:15:51 PM »

Long, long story but for the sake of this post I'll cut it short. No pics of it in the file but it's a 3/4 size I gave to my then girl friend some 35 plus years ago. Married someone else and after she passed away my high school sweety and I got together long distance at first and then married. Low and behold, she still has it. Needs some tuners and saddle work but it is intact and doesn't seem to be damaged in anyway. I haven't got around to fixing it up because it is in storage and you know how it is, out of sight out of mind. I will get it taken care of one of these days if the good Lord gives me the time and I remember it when I take one of the others in. She never did learn to play but someone in her past must've started on fixing it up DIY style and didn't have  the parts.

08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2012, 03:40:58 PM »

My first guitar is long gone.

It was a Stella Harmony 12 string with 6 strings on it.  I think I had it for a week or two.

Here's a picture from the Harmony database

--==::Please click the picture for more details ::==--

lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2012, 12:53:02 AM »

Nope, sold it two years ago. It was a Taylor 110 which was WAY too big for me. Went out and bought a Larrivee PV-09 instead.

'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"
247hoopsfan

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2012, 01:52:06 AM »

Still got my first guitar, a 1972 Yamaha FG200 made in Japan.  At the time I was 16, so it was all I could afford with my limited income from mowing lawns for $2 an hour.  Cost me a whopping $115.  I have cratered out the fretboard on the first 5 frets, but I still play it.  What I would have liked at the time was  Martin D18, but I couldn't afford it.  The FG200 was the closest sounding to the D18, so I bought it.  Serenaded my high school love with it, and she is my wife of 36 years.

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2012, 02:00:08 AM »

I only hope my first guitar is in a landfill or has long since gone up a brick chimney. The f-hole arch top guitar had resided in a Missouri attic for years and when I got it the action at the 12th was a hefty 1/2"+. Luckily I was only learning the first position chords and it proved that I really wanted to play guitar because I practiced until I had bloody stumps but would not give up.

I've been through many "real" guitars since and really appreciate a well set-up guitar.

f

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2012, 05:42:25 AM »

Nope, sold it two years ago. It was a Taylor 110 which was WAY too big for me. Went out and bought a Larrivee PV-09 instead.

Welcome back Lynda!

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2012, 06:18:34 AM »

Still got my first guitar, a 1972 Yamaha FG200 made in Japan.  At the time I was 16, so it was all I could afford with my limited income from mowing lawns for $2 an hour.  Cost me a whopping $115.  I have cratered out the fretboard on the first 5 frets, but I still play it.  What I would have liked at the time was  Martin D18, but I couldn't afford it.  The FG200 was the closest sounding to the D18, so I bought it.  Serenaded my high school love with it, and she is my wife of 36 years.

I love that story (and I can relate to the last sentence). 

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2012, 05:34:37 PM »

My first was a electric, not sure of brand but it came with a Kalamazoo amp so maybe it was of the same. Took lessons for a few months but didn't stick with it because I wanted to play music not learn to read music. My dad ended up selling it to someone he worked with but I kept the amp. After that I had several generic twelve strings that I learned chords on and could sing along, each one of those became unplayable when the neck heals separated from the body. Then came the nylon stringed guitars my brother brought home, one of which had a twisted neck. I was taking woodshop at the time so I separated the fingerboard from the neck and installed a wedge and did the same for the nut and it was a great player after that. No idea what ever happened to those guitars. In the mid seventies I bought a twelve string Yairi DY-68 that was the easiest playing guitar I had ever come in contact with, learned a lot of songs and played with many friends but eventually got interested in other things (golf I think) and so it just sat in its case for 25 years, oh and I also had a Ibanez 6 string (Japan) that my youngest daughter now has.. Flash forward to a new wife and a much better life, she had it set up for me as a Christmas present. I had totally forgotten everything I had ever learned and it took a while to get back into it but I decided I wanted to learn how to play a six string without a pick so I got a Guild D-40 and a fingerstyle book and taught myself and shortly thereafter got my LV-19E. I sold the Yairi for twice what I paid for it and picked up a Crafter to take up north for campfires but sold it to my neighbor when I replaced it with a seagull folk which was recently replaced with my Recording King ROS-16 (000 12fret slothead). After the LV-19 I got a OM-03MT which I still have, a P-05MT that now belongs to queequeg  and my F-III which has turned out to be my favorite guitar and the one that I would grab if I was running out of a burning house.

Long story short, I don't.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
sayheyjeff

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2012, 03:25:05 AM »

Still have my 1st guitar.  Its a 64 Gibson LG1.  Not counting the guitar that was rented for my 1st 2 lessons.  The guitar is in really nice condition.  Has a bridge plate added to protect against belly development, and an LR Dual Source.  Has some checking, but nothing serious.  Case was replaced a couple of decades ago.  The guitar still gets plenty of playing.

jeff

Santa Cruz PJ
Martin om28v
Martin 0018vs
Bourgeois 'Alan Simpson' Slope Dread
Martin LXM (on loan)
kvader

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2012, 03:54:59 PM »

I still have my first, an Alvarez classical that is falling apart. Or maybe it was that Epiphone I had. I can't remember which guitar was first, but the Epiphone was terrible! I upgraded to a $60 Rogue Dread after that guitar.  bigrin
el guitana
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2012, 12:51:30 PM »

Not my first, but in 1981 or 82  I bought an Augustino (LoPrinzi) spruce/mahogany dread, made in 81. This was my main guitar through the early days of my band, and has seen a lot of action, including a punch in the back (repaired) by a rowdy bar patron. It suffered some finish damage from mosquito spray, and a friend helped my refinish it. Then the friend had it...for maybe 15 years.
It came home to me recently. What a great guitar, so glad to have it back. I had the bridge shaved by 3rd Coast; plays like a dream.
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2012, 01:59:33 PM »

plays like a dream.

And looks like one too!!!!  nice guitar

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
sailadams

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2012, 01:06:51 AM »

I don't have my Sears electric, but I do still have my first acoustic guitar, a Mexican-made Epiphone dreadnought. Still a beautiful deep round sound out of that old strummer. I reworked it last summer and it sounds better than ever, plus is a little easier to play.

Larrivee OMV-09e, Martin O-18v, Martin OO-DB, Martin LXM, Parker Fly PM60, Kurzweil PC3
ewalling

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2012, 03:52:01 AM »

My first guitar was a nasty Kay dread-type thing that wouldn't stay in tune and had a crippling action. It served its purpose, though, in that I learnt my basic chords on it. It is, alas, no longer in the world of the living - I broke the neck off with my head when I was an undergraduate. Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time!    
naboz
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2012, 04:20:06 PM »

You want a story?!
I was going into my senior year of high school.  My friend, who had graduated the year before, was a drummer and teaching at a music store (he had studio drummed for Cat Stevens!). 1977, I was really getting into jazz/rock fusion (RTF, Metheny, Shadowfax, etc.) and loved the full sound of 12 strings being used.  Got what I could afford (even with his discount); a Crestwood 212.  Learned my chords w/CSNY songs and started playing with open/altered tunings.  Wooed the ladies and took that guitar everywhere. It went with me when I traveled the country (all 48 continental states) my first two years out of h.s.--busses, hitchhiking, my vehicles. I settled in Santa Cruz for a couple yrs. and on a return trip home left it w/a friend in S.C. Came back to find it needed some work (house hadnt been heated while I was gone).  When I went to pick it up at (I believe) Union Grove Music, there was David Crosby plucking around in the shop!  Upon return to MI. I had many musicians offer to trade straight up for bigger name guitars (one a Martin D-18)--it played and sounded that good (for a laminate body yet). Jammed one night (more like watched in awe) with Darol Anger and Mike Marshall in Ann Arbor.  I kept that 12 and one of my "wooed ladies" gave me a Yamaha FG 335 II that became my traveler.  [Fast Forward a few yrs.] I'm sitting on my rental porch when this beautiful lady keeps walking by each night as I am playing that 12, and then finally had the nerve to come talk to me.  Eight yrs. later we later will marry (I wasnt done travelling yet)!
A few more years...That Yamaha was traded when I discovered Larrivees.  Uncle Rob took it in and sent me one of the blackwood LVs!  When my ears had "matured" and I wanted a new 12 string (D03-12), my daughter said there was no way I could get rid of the Crestwood, and she paid for needed tuner replacements and some bridge work and it became hers!
She is away to college now, so it is held in trust in my room.  The bridge has bulged a bit, and I keep it in DADGAD to let it have a happy semi-retirement.  Until its next adventure, with my daughter.
Calmandcool

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2012, 03:20:16 PM »

Nice story :)

Still got my first one. It's a nice classical guitar beginner instrument.
Dru Edwards

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2012, 03:38:03 PM »

I still have mine. A cheap Series A electric I got for Christmas back in 1987. I still have my first acoustic also, a Yamaha 12 string I bought new in Jan 1989. Don't play either anymore but not something I want to get rid of either.
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2012, 04:30:52 AM »

She is away to college now, so it is held in trust in my room.  The bridge has bulged a bit, and I keep it in DADGAD to let it have a happy semi-retirement.  Until its next adventure, with my daughter.

A bridge doctor might fix that right up.

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
B chas

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2012, 01:59:11 PM »

Hagstrom I got at Mongomery Ward, in 1967. It's the black one. Got the 74 Strat (natural on the right) in 78 from a band mate. Still have both.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: