Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pete Huttlinger's illness...  (Read 3318 times)
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: September 22, 2011, 08:08:34 PM »

I don't remember seeing anything about Pete Huttlinger on this forum. For those who don't know Pete has had some life-threatening heart issues recently and is awaiting a transplant at Vanderbilt Univ. in Nashville.

I found a website (CaringBridge.org) that has the most information I've been able to glean from the net. Does anyone know anything more about how he's doing?

Here is a post on CaringBridge from his wife Erin dated Aug. 24, 2011:

WE ARE HOME!!!!!!

Back in Nashville!  I know it was sudden.  It was sudden to us too.

We had been back in Houston nearly a month since the benefit in Nashville.   Since then we had a fall (5 stitches) and another hospital stay (having nothing to do with the fall).  Actually Pete continues to have issues with an infection in his blood.  So he was readmitted for about 8 days.  That was 2 weeks ago.  They think there is infection attached to one of his devices (pacemaker or pump) which means that it never goes away, but can be kept out of his blood with massive antibiotics. 

On Monday we checked to find out if the infection was finally gone and it was.  So they cleared us to come back home.  Vanderbilt isn't 100% ready for us, but they are close.  When we got the news on Monday afternoon that we could come back to Nashville, we couldn't pack fast enough.  A lot gets accumulated in 4 months.  We split Houston like our tails were on fire.  It was pretty funny actually. 

Honestly, we will miss everyone at St. Lukes / Texas Heart.  Pete and I both owe our lives to so many people there.  Truly.  And I do hope we can go back at some point, in a healthy way, and play them some music.

Meanwhile, it is so good to be home.  Pete is sitting in his studio and I'm at my desk.  Sean started back to college today and we could be here for it.  This Friday, we'll go see James march at the first football game of the season for Father Ryan. 

And on the medical front....well, our first appointment at Vanderbilt is tomorrow.  Nobody is wasting any time!

Erin

f

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 09:36:40 PM »

I saw Pete in a show with Tommy Emmanuel in Anniston Alabama if I recall correctly. And have a couple of his tutor DVD's. He was at Swannanoa too.

A great all around guy as well as an amazing guitar player. I've been saddened to hear of his ongoing health problems.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 11:19:39 PM »

Extra prayers can never hurt.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 03:14:41 AM »

I've only got one album of his on my iPod but that's all I listened to today. On some of John Denver's YouTube performances you can see Pete as John's sideman. To see him live, though, would be special.

Yes, an extra dose of prayer is in order.

f

abalone at last

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 04:32:11 AM »

Thoughts and prayers with you friend.......hope for many more years of whats important to you......

2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric
SMan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 12:54:39 PM »

Pete and Erin have been in my prayers for some time.  He's been on a tough road.

Steve ....aka the SMan
tubeornot2b

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 04:28:59 AM »

bump for a good guy
String Cheesehead

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 05:37:26 AM »

Pete has an update on his website in his blog section.  In short, Pete is NOT a candidate for a heart transplant at this point in time.  He will have to live with the heart pump for now...he is getting stronger and gaining weight, and working out more... In fact he will be walking a half marathon in the future.  Pete is the reason I am selling my Larrivee Lacewood Parlor.  I need money to help me pay for the Collings Pete Huttlinger Special Edition OM1 I ordered several months ago.  His story touched my heart, and I  met him before his medical problems....in fact watching him play is what got me back into playing!  Collings is only building 50 OM1's in Petes name and they are donating $1000 from each sale to Pete to help with the medical bills.  He is an awesome player, and awesome human being!  I should be getting the Collings any week now and I can't wait to play it in honor of his great talent.  Pray for this man...he is definitely worth it!
RoundLakeDT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 02:28:43 PM »

There is now a benefit CD, "For Pete's Sake".  Check it out - there's a lot of great guitar music on it and the proceeds are being used to help defray the heavy medical costs Pete is getting hit with.

http://truefire.com/albums/for-petes-sake/

Artists include
Muriel Anderson
Iker Cedeno
Michael Chapdelaine
Antoine Dufour
Phile Keaggy
Mark Kroos
Sungha Jung
Keith Miller
Gareth Pearson
Jack Pearson
Al Petteway
Ben Powell
Bryan Rason
Don Ross

ryler
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 12:33:49 AM »

This was posted on AGF today regarding Pete:

http://blogs.tennessean.com/tunein/2012/01/23/peter-cooper-on-music-pete-huttlinger-picks-his-way-back-into-shape/
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 05:16:55 PM »

Thanks for the link ryler, I'm really glad to hear things are looking "up" for Pete.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
robwms

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 10:02:12 PM »

This past Tuesday evening, Pete spent an hour doing a live webcast with Nashville session player and guitar teacher Steve Krenz. Steve is the guy behind the "Learning and Mastering Guitar" DVD series.

They play some tunes together, and talk about his career, recovering from his medical problems, and a host of guitar related topics. It's a great way to spend an hour. Check it out here:  http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/20294099

Rob

Larrivee D-05
Larrivee RS-4 Custom (Arctic White)
ryler
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 06:43:44 PM »

Rob,

I watched that interview after you linked it and really enjoyed it.  Thanks for posting it.  If you like Pete, then this is a good watch.
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 08:20:59 PM »

I watched that interview after you linked it and really enjoyed it.  Thanks for posting it.  If you like Pete, then this is a good watch.

I watched it also and am thrilled to see Pete back in the saddle. What a great talent!

SMan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 12:24:39 AM »

I watched it also and am thrilled to see Pete back in the saddle. What a great talent!

+1

Steve ....aka the SMan
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 12:36:32 AM »

+1

[attachment deleted by admin]

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: