Eastman E20D Review

Started by SMixon, January 16, 2012, 07:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nice review... thanks  :nice guitar:

I have owned an E 20 om for a little over a year....  the tone gives me shivers!!!!!!!  just a wonderful tone!!!  :+1: 

It sounds great strummed but I primarily play it fingerstyle...  :guitar

They are outstanding, well made guitars.... bobw   :coffee:donut  Have a cup of joe... while you sit and play a while...enjoy today!!!! :guitar

very nice review. you covered key points very well, and the result was "real world" info that would most likely add an Eastman to the "seriously considering" list of anyone looking for a well made, value packed mid-priced guitar.
i used to agitate for sedition. now i advocate sedation.

In complete honesty,  If this guitar were made in the USA it would have a 1800-2000 price tag on it. 
Whenever I think about selling it due to my shoulder getting tired, I just listen to the tone, and I always say it just sounds to nice to sell. 
I would trade or sell it for a Larrivee SD03R though.  I really like those. 
Taylor 410 L2 (Rosewood)
Gibson Custom Shop J-45
Partscaster Tele
Partscaster Strat
Therdrail Amp
LR Baggs
Pedals and What Not

Quote from: SMixon on April 25, 2012, 07:56:17 AM
In complete honesty,  If this guitar were made in the USA it would have a 1800-2000 price tag on it. 
Whenever I think about selling it due to my shoulder getting tired, I just listen to the tone, and I always say it just sounds to nice to sell. 
I would trade or sell it for a Larrivee SD03R though.  I really like those. 

Some people say even 3-4 times than what it is.

Was gonna put my E20D up on the e-bay or craigs list , but still trying to decide . Great review by the way . One thing I'd like to add is that I use phosphor bronze strings on all of my guitars except for the E20D, it sounds way better with 80/20 bronze . I found that out today when I changed strings to 80/20 elixer nano . I had read somewhere that Martins use 80/20 as well.  You can get these guitars used for $800 - $850 . Other than the 80/20 vs Phosphor  thing , I also dont care for the string spacing . I much prefer Larrivee 's string spacing even with there electrics, they feels good on the hands .

:gotdonuts:I,ve been considering purchasing a high end eastman acoustic rosewood model.They have a sound all their own and apparently hand made .It seems though,that when we see guitars from china we,atleast I,picture them being made on some assembly line and sort of thrown together then lacquered up to look shiney and new.See,I recently had an eastman 184mx thinline hollowbody electric,it is stunning to look at and sounded incredible.Traded it on a 95 maple larrivee d10 .Anyway,I tried to sell the eastman on 4 different sites with 6 pictures and a good write up,I got 2 responses both very sketchy and no legitimate responses after 3 weeks.I can only assume that people were reading made in china on the eastman site that I suggested they go to.But hey,I,m certainly not suggesting that you shouldn,t buy eastman,in fact I will be purchasing a high end eastman acoustic,I love fingerpicking and these guitars are right up there in sound,look and quality for the money.Cheers

Welcome.  Just read the review of the guitar.  This thread is of the guitar which you want to buy. Everytime I sit down to play it I am blown away.  I think the tough thing is that in America we assume that Made in China means crap.  I think we forget tha many oriental instrument makers have generations of exerience and in the case of The Eastman Traditional series we're getting truly handmade, high quality craftsmanship.  Check Ebay as these are being bought for $850.00 lighty used when they rarely do come up for sale.
Taylor 410 L2 (Rosewood)
Gibson Custom Shop J-45
Partscaster Tele
Partscaster Strat
Therdrail Amp
LR Baggs
Pedals and What Not

I don,t own an Eastman,yet,but I have tried them and was very impressed with the sound[tonal qualities].I did though,just trade for a blueridge 73as[adi top]and I find it to be quite responsive to fingerstyle touch and when flat picking It,s loud and clear and balanced.In your opinion,hpw would you compare them to eastman?

Eastman is definitely making some incredible guitars in Beijing.  A quick review of the reviews ( :winkin:) clearly shows many happy folks.

I just acquired a pre-owned Eastman E20D and compared it to my Larrivee D-03R, both strung with Martin 545 PB light-mediums.
The D-03R is one of my favorite dreads btw.

The Eastman has a warmer bass and lower midrange and has a lush quality compared to the Larry, which sounds more direct wuth more midrange presence.

Comparison only fingerstyle. I'll have to try a pick later....