Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fan fret guitars  (Read 1648 times)
Ardon

Ignore
« on: January 15, 2012, 04:00:15 AM »

Fan fret guitars
Anyone here own one, play one...
If so... Uh... What's up with 'em?
From the reading I've done on 'em they've the advantage of deeper/fuller sounding bass due to longer strings. Allowing the builder more control in tone balance-- bass strings longer treble shorter.
Is that true? Is there much audible difference, it seems very feasible, but I've no first hand experience. What about playability?

Any info would be much appreciated!

Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 11:19:43 AM »

My Canteri has a relatively subtle variable scale length with the bass side 26" scale length vs the 25" at the high E but yet noticeable.
The first half an hour with it took some getting used to with the fan-fret configuration, however past the 6th fret bar chords are actually easier with the natural shape one's fretting hand takes.
I hardly notice the fan frets now.

Yes, the longer scale length of the bass side allows for better dropped D playing (relatively speaking) without buzzing. With normal tuning the added tension provides deeper and snappier bass response.
The short scale of the treble strings allows for great bending, playability is great - I love my guitar.

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=35427.msg339393#new

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: