Easy Strumming Songs To Teach Beginners

Started by hatman, January 07, 2004, 11:46:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ok, how about posting the easiest song you know how to play?

A simple chord progression would be nice.
Such as:
A Horse with No Name
Em & D#m13

The song is easy, just take the two fingers you are playing the Em with and spread them one string out from the A & D strings to the E and D strings, staying in the second fret area. Return to the Em and back. Repeat on the one beat of a 4/4 count.
Put the song on and strum away.
Barry. :D

You mean 022000 to 202000?

Lime in the Coconut by Harry Nilsson. Play E7. That's it. Keep playin' E7.

022130 or 020100 or 020130....your choice. :lol:  
Don't take no wooden nickles, and don't put beans in your ears.

I love Nilsson,I think I have everything he recorded in record form.I've got to get into the 20 cen.
As for songs...The weight by the band C Am F,throw in a G once in a while. :rolleyes:  
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

GIGGLER,
You were very close.
022000 to 200200.

I didn't even think about showing it that way. Thanks.

Put a lime in the coconut, and mix'em both together
Put the lime in the coconut, then you feel better

I never read any interviews with him. Did he really? :blink:  

Thanks.

BTW, Unclrob: You're breakin' my heart, you're tearing' it apart, so (fill in)!

The guy was a riot.

Lawrence Juber wrote a song (When Harry got to Heaven) I saw him play at a guitar clinic. Lawrence said that Harry died the day before the Northridge (CA) earthquake, and that the earthquake was actually Harry in heaven when he found out there wasn't a bar!

Cat Stevens wrote many songs using simple chords.

GIGGLER..LOVE THAT TUNE.
sneaky...Forgot about his stuff
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Hatman...I strummed those two chords last night for awhile....then showed 'em to my son. So simple, but they sound cool. America had some great tunes. I heard their biggest was "Sister Goldenhair".

Giggler,
I'm glad you like them. I found that song on an "Easy Songs for Beginners" search.
America always seems to play open/airy chords to me. And I like the strummers a lot.Sooooooooo.
Also, I have just begun teaching a beginners guitar course at one of our City Parks Programs.
What fun. I hope to be a part of people's beginning relationship with guitar. How cool is that? You don't have to answer. I already know.
I looked up tab for "Sister Goldenhair". A bit more difficult. Probably too much for the beginning guitarist, I played it using barre-chords and then you have the minor and sharp issues.
The class I am teaching is for the very,very beginning guitarist.I am looking for the easiest of the easiest right now.
Please keep'em coming.
Thanks, Barry.

Jet Plane... John Denver
If I were a Carpenter... Tim Hardin
Scarboro Fair... traditional
Poor Little Fool... Rick Nelson
Lucky Man...ELP

sneaky,
Thanks, how about the chords? :blink:  

all are available on the net... thats where I got em. Just do a search. Sorry...I assumed you knew that.
http://www.guitarnotes.com/

I'm working on Robert Petway's version of Catfish Blues, which has essentially one chord, E, some hammerons, and a great driving beat. The IV chord is the fourth string second fret  E and the open third string, and there isn't a V chord. I'm not technically astute, but I'm sure that there are mp3s of this public domain tune available online.

I wish, I wish I was a catfish
Swimmin in the deep blue sea
I'd have all you pretty women
Settin out hooks for me
Settin out hooks for me

I've also had success teaching Charlie Patton's Green River Blues to a beginner. It is a 12 bar blues in E, with 2 chords, some hammerons and pulloffs, and a turnaround. I think the key is to pick music that grabs their interest so that they are driven to learn that tune. In my experience anyway, its rhythm, not melody, that gets people's juices going earlier and easier.  

Yes, I agree about the rythum(sp). That is why I started the class with the America song. Straight 4/4, easy to strum. Can strum on the one, the one and three, the 1-2-3-4, or eighth notes. I had the whole class strumming at the same time tonight. Several on different times, but still able to all be strumming. It went pretty well.
My next song for them is "Soul for Every Cowboy" by Big Head Todd and the Monsters. G,C,D, with an Am and an Em thrown in. Pretty much a strummer too.
Thanks for the tips above. I sure am interested in "Catfish Blues".
I heard it done by Jimi Hendrix, Taj Mahal, and several of the old blues masters. It does sound like it ought to be easy enough.
Arcane, would you have any tabbed versions of either of the above? Are you fingerpicking or flatpicking?
Thanks, Barry.

Hatman,

I'll try to chart it for you, as I have never written out tab. I play it fingerstyle, and bare thumb and one finger is all you need. Essentially its  some deliberate hammeron/pulloffs, some short brushes with the thumb, and an occasional upwards brush on the 1st string with the finger. Its all within in the E shape: you can make it more complicated by varying the hammerons, but it isn't necessary. Try to find the recording. Petway does it with the capo at 4th.

Richard

Arcane,
Thanks, I'll go looking for it.
Barry.

For strumming, here's a good one: Me and Bobby Magee.

I use C  G  G7  C     C   C7  F    F7  C  G  C  C7

Chor: F   C   G    C   C7  
       F   C   G..........C

Pretty much in that sequence. I'd teach without the 7ths the first time.

They can sing along with the strummin' easily once they get the chord changes down.  

Thanks Giggler,
I'll have to use that one.
Here's an easy one:
Warren Zevon's "Werewolves of London"
The chord progresion is D,A,G
You strum D twice, A twice, G six times.
How's that?

Barry. B)