Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amps for an RS-4  (Read 13123 times)
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2012, 12:55:04 AM »

What do you guys know about a Fender Deville 2x12?   Also the VOX AC30.   These are listed in my local Craigslist and will be needing something for the F-V.

A lot of amp there Friend, need something as big as those

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Frasier1

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2012, 01:14:20 AM »

A lot of amp there Friend, need something as big as those

Probably not, I just figure I could get it for about the same price as other decent amps without having to pay for shipping.  I was just looking at your Jet City Amps you had mentioned and it is probably more of what I need, but after I paid for shipping I would probably be better off buying the Fender. 

Right now I'm shopping and just trying to find something decent!
TomRC

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2012, 01:37:43 AM »

I recently stumbled into a Fender Superchamp XD (the older version) and snatched it up. Now I know why it is so highly recommended. Wow…..what a great little amp for the money.
Frasier1

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2012, 02:59:13 AM »

I recently stumbled into a Fender Superchamp XD (the older version) and snatched it up. Now I know why it is so highly recommended. Wow…..what a great little amp for the money.

That Fender Superchamp XD looks like a nice little unit that would be perfect.  But again after shipping to Alaska it comes out close to the Fender Deville that is local.  Decisions Decisions!   
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2012, 04:23:37 PM »

That Fender Superchamp XD looks like a nice little unit that would be perfect.  But again after shipping to Alaska it comes out close to the Fender Deville that is local.  Decisions Decisions!   

Y'know, there's something to be said for "buying locally, living globally" or something like that. Suport your local economy and recycle and reuse something from your own neighborhood. IF you can carry those amps around (they're both pretty heavy), they will both sound good.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
bacchus

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2012, 03:51:31 PM »

So my dad directed me towards the Vox Night train. Does anyone here have any experience with it?  The stuff I have seen on youtube has piqued my interest.  I like that it has some nice Voxy chime with a bit more gain than, say, an AC15.  The price looks pretty good too.

Also, I am here to do the monthly wake up in the electric section.  whistling 

Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18
PM33AUD

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2012, 05:45:03 AM »

So my dad directed me towards the Vox Night train. Does anyone here have any experience with it?  The stuff I have seen on youtube has piqued my interest.  I like that it has some nice Voxy chime with a bit more gain than, say, an AC15.  The price looks pretty good too.

Also, I am here to do the monthly wake up in the electric section.  whistling 

As I mentioned in the other thread, I am in with the AC30.  I also played an AC15 with the RS-4 and both of these amps are awesome.  The night train I have only heard a friend's band using... sounded good although it was at a crappy bar and the guitar volume was a little low in the mix.

Either way, be sure to check out the AC15 and if you really need the volume (and that's an emphasized 'really'), the AC30.  The problem with the AC30 is that you need to have an attenuator in a lot of cases.  I was surprised at how loud it was and it's not one of those amps you can kinda turn down and have it sound like you want...  That being said, it's super fun to play, sounds great, and relatively easy to control once you get how it wants to work... I'd really recommend smashing it in the face with a boost (most OD pedal will work or a booster); it eats em up.  Also, I plugged mine into a bunch of different cabs - makes a huge difference as well... I need more tight so I ended up on my 4x12 with V30s.  The Greenbacks and the Wharfdales were a little too blues/rock for what I need.  Didn't even bother with the Blues...  depends on what your after.  Oh, and it doubles as a frying pan or as I've been finding out, a beer warmer  mad
bacchus

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2012, 04:41:05 PM »

As I mentioned in the other thread, I am in with the AC30.  I also played an AC15 with the RS-4 and both of these amps are awesome.  The night train I have only heard a friend's band using... sounded good although it was at a crappy bar and the guitar volume was a little low in the mix.

Either way, be sure to check out the AC15 and if you really need the volume (and that's an emphasized 'really'), the AC30.

... I need more tight so I ended up on my 4x12 with V30s. 

I totally intend to give the ac15 a good go.  These seem like they are right in line with what i want.  My only issue is in high gain settings.  I have been using an ac15 (line6 digital modeler) that i have really been liking, but once i get into fairly gainy territory it kind of gets flubby and starts to break down.  Im sure a lot of that is just that i am using a digital model and not the real deal, so i need to go spend some quality time with the real thing.

Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18
PM33AUD

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2012, 04:33:12 AM »

I been playing hard prog rock/metal with my AC30 so unless you're doing death metal or something even heavier (?), I highly doubt you'd need more gain.  I wouldn't recommend the combos for heavier, tighter stuff.  They can get PLENTY of gain with the right pedals.  Like I said, boost the hell out of the input... that's where all the leprechauns hide.   If you don't want flub, you might need a more 'substantial' cabinet... at least this is what I've discovered from testing (probably mostly due to the open/closed back differences I'm guessing).

I thinks you need a demo video of the RS-4 with the AC30... maybe it give you some idearss.  

Phil

bacchus

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2012, 01:52:02 PM »

I been playing hard prog rock/metal with my AC30 so unless you're doing death metal or something even heavier (?), I highly doubt you'd need more gain.  I wouldn't recommend the combos for heavier, tighter stuff.  They can get PLENTY of gain with the right pedals.  Like I said, boost the hell out of the input... that's where all the leprechauns hide.   If you don't want flub, you might need a more 'substantial' cabinet... at least this is what I've discovered from testing (probably mostly due to the open/closed back differences I'm guessing).

I thinks you need a demo video of the RS-4 with the AC30... maybe it give you some idearss.  

Phil

Good to know, I don't have any pedals or anything so haven't been able to try that out.  I have been playing acoustic pretty exclusively for the last 5 - 6 years, so my electric chops and gear are lacking right now.  

I have a pretty wide variety of music that I am into from blues, beatles and radiohead to tool, opeth, porcupine tree and really everything in between.  If I could cover all of that ground, I would be thrilled.  Of course I know that I will have to make some sacrifices, for example, I could probably hit about 85% of opeth stuff, but they can get pretty heavy, and I don't expect to get all the way there.  That is OK.

I would LOVE to see a video of an RS-4 with an AC30.  That would be great to tide me over until I have an RS-4 of my own and can try some amps out.  I would definitely appreciate it.

Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18
bacchus

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2012, 10:39:32 PM »

So I may have just come into an amp.  I went a little over budget, but I got a pretty good deal on a used Morgan DAG15.  Ill post about my experiences when it arrives.  Now to wait for the FV...

Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2012, 10:53:32 PM »

Here good things of the Morgan dag15 but have never played one. Looking forward to hearing your impressions.

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2012, 02:11:19 AM »

I sold my Fender Blues Deluxe when I got these. Mackamps' HS-18 Heatseeker and a 4/.4 watt Gem with a 1x12 cab containing a 12" Eminence Red Coat Wizard. Great stuff!

SouthpawGuy

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2012, 10:27:45 AM »

And a shot of the RS-4 with the Blues Jnr.

Any excuse !

Plays great at very low volumes. I don't use the amps overdrive, I set it for the clean tone required and then use pedals for od. Mine is a tweed model with a Jensen speaker from 2006, an anniversary model. I was looking for a regular Blues Jnr at the time but there were none in stock  and as this one had been in stock for quite some time I got a great deal on it. 

One more for good measure ...

bacchus

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2012, 01:31:58 PM »

Cool stuff everyone!  I feel left out not having my electric yet.  crying

Here good things of the Morgan dag15 but have never played one. Looking forward to hearing your impressions.

I will absolutely update with what I think about it.

I have been really liking the idea of a Vox (ac15) for a while.  That turned into serious consideration for a VoxAC15hw.  Then I saw the Morgan for not much more, liked the idea of a one man "boutique" (I kind of hate using this word), loved the tones I was hearing in the videos and demos, and decided to give it a try.  I figure at the price I got it, I could probably sell it for little to no loss if, for some reason, I don't like it.

Anyway, I am super pumped to have a new amp coming, and I assume very soon, a sweet new guitar.

Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2012, 02:03:03 PM »

And a shot of the RS-4 with the Blues Jnr.

Another RS-4 owner who wraps the strings over the top of the stoptail piece...love it! (I do it on my RS-4 and my SG Standard.)

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2012, 06:28:09 PM »

I just put them straight through from the back of the stop tailpiece on my RS-4. I have a little copy of a Les Paul Jr. that I wrap strings around like that but why would you do it that way when you have a tun-o-matic bridge? Just curious. 
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2012, 06:42:28 PM »

So ... as mentioned earlier, I've been totally satisfied with my Carr Rambler for around five years...that's the longest I've gone without buying a new piece of gear EVER!

But I've already confessed on here that I've been lusting (there, I said it) after a Dr Z Maz18 Jr NR head (no reverb). I ordered one a few months ago, and it should be here any day now (it's already a week or two late). The store where I ordered it got a red one in last week; I ordered a black one, so still waiting!

I sat down and played the red one for awhile again - dang, they're just very nice sounding amps. I don't use reverb (much) when playing live, so I saved around $150-200 getting the non-reverb version, and according to Mike Zaite, adding the reverb changes the gain structure somewhat.

It will be interesting to put it next to the Carr and compare the two...I will probably decide to keep only one - so unless I really favor the Maz 18, it will go back, giving me a very healthy down payment on a custom Larrivee C-09 I have in mind...

...and that's not all...  ohmy

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2012, 06:51:20 PM »

...no, that's not all...  ohmy

Back in February or so, I also ordered an Ethos Overdrive Amp which is a 30 watt version of their Ethos Overdrive Pedal.

This is supposed to be a Dumble-replicating tone machine, and all the You Tube demos I've seen have been impressive (in the right hands).

Well, it wasn't supposed to be finished until November or so, but they said they were ramping up production and it might be ready earlier. Yeah, like NOW, the same week as my Maz18 is supposed to be ready! Yikes!

So I just mailed payment for the Ethos, and again, if it's everything they say it can be, it will be silly for me to have the Carr, the Dr Z and one of these Ethos pedals - just can't justify all that horsepower!

Tone reports coming soon (I'll probaby have the Ethos by around August 1; the Maz 18 should be here 'yesterday'!).

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2012, 06:54:41 PM »

I just put them straight through from the back of the stop tailpiece on my RS-4. I have a little copy of a Les Paul Jr. that I wrap strings around like that but why would you do it that way when you have a tun-o-matic bridge? Just curious. 
duck,

Most people do it so that they can keep the tailpiece all the way down on the body (for better vibration/tone transfer) but not have the strings catching on the backside of the tune-o-matic bridge before they go over the saddles - both to avoid tuning and buzzing/wrattling issues. Some folks also claim that the extra string length from wrapping them over lowers the tension somewhat, making them easier to bend.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: