Amps for an RS-4

Started by bacchus, January 05, 2012, 12:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FWIW, I am an amp junkie.  I even got my ECE degree due to the fact that I love audio electronics so much.  Since I started tinkering and even making a few of my own over the years, I've honed in on some very interesting amps these days that I use regularly.

1)  Egnater Mod50.  This is one of the coolest amp concepts.  No matter what 'tone' you end up loving, it will change.  You'll get used to it and want something else.  Easy, just pop another module in it.  The amp also sounds absolutely great.

2)  Crate GX-212+.  This amp I also love.  It's 100 bux of the craig's list, all SS, and really supposed to just be an entry-level amp.  I don't care, I love it.  As a matter of fact, I would possibly use this over my Egnater if it sounded better at full volumes.  I may pick up a 2nd one and see how that compares in a live scenario.

Point is, there are really great sounding amps that are very cheap.  THe Egnater is 1500-2000 head, no cab.  The Crate is virtually free.  I wouldn't get too tied up in it.  If you play the right stuff, anything should sound great... especially with the RS4... my god, a helluva guitar.

Quote from: PM33AUD on March 21, 2012, 08:05:23 AMCrate GX-212+
:+1:

I played a Crate GX-40D for many years - the same series but only 40W, 2x8" stereo.  It was an amazing little amp.  I have since moved on the another "Crate" - the V30 1x12 (v3112) - which, for those who don't know the amp, is from the last series of USA made Crates before they were taken over by LOUD.  I put Crate in quotes because the amp doesn't say Crate anywhere on it, just "V-Series Amplification".  It's a 30W class A tube amp and has something of a cult following.  Anyway, I digress...  In some ways I miss the GX - it had a really sweet, warm, clean sound that you wouldn't think was solid state.

I would highly recommend those older GX Crates and others like it - especially the USA made ones (they are from the period when Crate started making some things overseas - some GX models are not from the USA).  As PM33AUD said, they can be had for next to nothing.  Crate always gets a bum rap it seems, and I suppose they have put out some crap especially in later years, but these are seriously underrated IMO.
Gord

Larrivée C-09 | DeArmond M-75 | Squier '51 (modified) | Ibanez AF105 | Takamine EF360SC | Yamaha BBG5S (modified) | Rockbass Corvette Classic 5 Active

Quote from: GGBB on March 21, 2012, 09:56:25 AM
:+1:

I played a Crate GX-40D for many years - the same series but only 40W, 2x8" stereo.  It was an amazing little amp.  I have since moved on the another "Crate" - the V30 1x12 (v3112) - which, for those who don't know the amp, is from the last series of USA made Crates before they were taken over by LOUD.  I put Crate in quotes because the amp doesn't say Crate anywhere on it, just "V-Series Amplification".  It's a 30W class A tube amp and has something of a cult following.  Anyway, I digress...  In some ways I miss the GX - it had a really sweet, warm, clean sound that you wouldn't think was solid state.

I would highly recommend those older GX Crates and others like it - especially the USA made ones (they are from the period when Crate started making some things overseas - some GX models are not from the USA).  As PM33AUD said, they can be had for next to nothing.  Crate always gets a bum rap it seems, and I suppose they have put out some crap especially in later years, but these are seriously underrated IMO.

Exactly!  I thought I was the only one!   :laughin:  Imma grab a couple more of these when I see em pop up on CL.  The clean is indeed great and the harder rock stuff I do distortion is excellent as well.  Once you get over the whole name thing and aura Crate seems to have, it's a really awesome amp.

Quote from: PM33AUD on March 21, 2012, 11:12:39 AMdistortion is excellent as well

Very true also.  I don't know what specifically it entails design-wise, but the "FlexWave 5" technology they used in the distortion channels of some of the older amps really does sound quite good - like a really good distortion stompbox.
Gord

Larrivée C-09 | DeArmond M-75 | Squier '51 (modified) | Ibanez AF105 | Takamine EF360SC | Yamaha BBG5S (modified) | Rockbass Corvette Classic 5 Active

I hope this isn't a silly, naive question, but I have a couple acoustic amps, one of which is an older version of what I think is now the Ultrasound DS4.  The Ultrasound has a great clean sound, so in an effort to use the gear I have, is there anything technically wrong with running an electric through something like a Line 6 POD and channel it through the Ultrasound as a PA?  This is mostly for home use and playing with friends, so I'm not pushing the dials to 11.  The POD would have all the effects I would need, so it seems to make sense, but I'm not sure if ultimately running an electric through an acoustic amp is sacrilege, or at worst, damaging to any equipment.  The alternative for me is probably a SS modeling amp like something in the Mustang series. 

I just want to get the set-up right as I venture deeper into the world of electrics, so I appreciate anyone's input.
Matt
All Lefty:
Acoustic:
Larrivee OMV-10
Larrivee D-05E
Martin CEO-7
Taylor 416

Electric:
Larrivee RS-4, Forum V #2
Fender American Standard Tele
Fender Aerodyne Strat
PureSalem Elevation
Epiphone Joe Pass, modified with Gibson '57 classics

Matt,

As long as you hook up everything properly, you won't do any damage to your UltraSound amp, and as you said, it can work like a PA to amplify your POD models...should sound pretty good once you tweak everything.

The Fender Mustang amps get a lot of good press; so it sounds like you're on the right track there. If you want a tube amp, there are plenty of choices - new and used - and it really depends on your style of music and whether you will mostly use the amp for home use or need something for moderate to loud gigs (these days, not too many people really need a Twin Reverb or a Marshall stack!).
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Rev (I hope I can call you that).

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.  I definitely don't need the Marshall stack, but then again I am a guy and I do like gear!  I think I'm aiming for a POD (maybe 400) or I'll take a look at the new Fender Mustang Floor system.  This way I can either plug into an amp or right into my computer for composing and playing over material I like.  That should cover me for most of my needs of playing at home and on the odd occasion I play out. 

Out of curiosity, did you go for the Forum V?  I did, and it would be nice to know that there is another lefty...there aren't many of us so we need to stick together!
Matt
All Lefty:
Acoustic:
Larrivee OMV-10
Larrivee D-05E
Martin CEO-7
Taylor 416

Electric:
Larrivee RS-4, Forum V #2
Fender American Standard Tele
Fender Aerodyne Strat
PureSalem Elevation
Epiphone Joe Pass, modified with Gibson '57 classics

Quote from: MC13 on March 25, 2012, 09:58:21 PM
Rev (I hope I can call you that).

Out of curiosity, did you go for the Forum V?  I did, and it would be nice to know that there is another lefty...there aren't many of us so we need to stick together!
Matt

Sure, you can call me Rev ... lots of people in my church just call me "PM" for "Pastor Mike."  :winkin:

Unfortunately, I didn't get in on the Forum V.   :crying:  Just didn't think I could make the financial commitment right now. I'm trusting that Larrivee's electrics are going to stick around this time (compared to the late '80's when they only lasted for a few years...not really sure how long?). I've dreamed of getting an RS-4 goldtop with mini's someday... but the new Lancaster would fit a guitar "demographic" I don't have yet, a "super-strat" style with HSS pickups.

So we'll see what's next...

Back on the topic (of amps)...

I'm now "down to" three tube amps, and a couple SS amps (and one SS bass amp which is seldom used - it's out on loan right now).

1) Carr Rambler 2x10 - This is a great amp - kind of a beefed up Fender Deluxe Reverb, which takes it way beyond the DR. It's 28/14 watts switchable (I usually keep it on 14), unlike the DR it has a mid tone control - VERY USEFUL, plus trem and reverb. The 2 10" speakers help spread out the sound. Takes boost and OD pedals wonderfully, and is built like a tank. I've had this amp for around 5 years now, and it's kept me from gassin' for much else. It stays on the platform at church most the the time with a mic in front of it for our praise band.

2) Gibson Goldtone GA15-RV - another great amp; if you can find one of these, BUY IT. I should add one caveat to that; early ones had problems with the tube sockets, mine's a later one with that issue addressed. 15/5 watts (I use it most of the time at home on the 5w/triode setting); 12" Celestion V30, which I've recently replaced with a GWS Reaper - still not sure if it will stay or the V-30 will go back in (the Reaper tames the highs a little). This simple amp has 3 knobs on the back: Volume, Tone, Reverb. Plus a "Normal/Bright" switch, the Triode/Pentode switch, and a plug in for a reverb fs. The only downside some people see in this amp is that the controls on are the back by the floor, but this is really a "set it and forget it" amp; you can control volume & tone nicely from your guitar. Just a wonderful sounding amp (1,000 times better than a Fender Blues Jr. to my ears - I sold mine after comparing the two), and also - if you get a later one - bullet proof. I plug into this one a lot at home..

3) This is my frankenstein. It's an old Peavey Classic 50 head (came out of a Classic Blues 1x15 amp that they only made for a couple years in the mid-90's!). It's in a Trutone Custom cab (made by Rob Hebert in Louisiana) that holds 2 10" Reverend All-Tone 1025 speakers. I didn't want a huge 410 amp to lug around, and I like a 210 setup, and this works well. I recently put in a new Accutronics 3-spring reverb tank, and it has much better reverb now than the stock Classic amps. The Reverend speakers are GOLD, and give a nice high end shimmer, even to these EL84 tube amps. Sometimes I think I could sell my Carr and be happy with this amp, but I know myself pretty well - I'd be gassin' for something else real soon (like a Dr Z MAZ18... there, I said it!).

These three amps provide some variety and the ability to be pretty mobile (the GA15-RV) or have more volume and beef (the Carr & the Peavey). And gettting rid of some others is helping keep man-land uncluttered (at least ... I have room for more GUITARS!!!).

The one SS amp that gets some use is a Vox Pathfinder 15R that I keep upstairs in my home office (where I also have a couple guitars hanging on the wall, just in case I need to play something or get inspired!). I couldn't leave it alone, so I replaced the speaker in the Vox with a Jensen...sounds a little bigger, but the stock speaker wasn't to bad for the price point. The other is an old Peavey Envoy with a bad input; I robbed the reverb cables out of it to fix up the Classic 50 above...it sits in the closet most of the time.

ALL of my Larrivee's sound great through ALL the above amps!

(Pics of the Trutone Custom - sorry: I need to take some better pics!)

[attachment deleted by admin]

I had one of those Peavey's with the 15" speaker I can't remember its modal name,anyway it was a cool amp and I think its still available.The one I used wa 35 watts and Tele's sound great played thru a 15" speaker is amazing nice sounding.I also add that I owned a great solid state amp for a while with a 15 in it,again I can't remember the modal.It was an Evans though pricey new used not so much.Better know by jazz players it was a very flexable amp.They make smaller modals and I'm not sure how available they are but I thought I'd mention them.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: SouthpawGuy on March 20, 2012, 06:56:24 PM
Don't have pictures of it with the RS-4, pictured with an SBG2000.

Southpaw Guy,

Where O where did you find a lefty like that!?!?!?!?   :drool:  :arrow

I WANT ONE!!!

I've looked for something like that for years, couldn't find one (currently looking into an SG Standard...).

Please do tell...thanks!

Quote from: unclrob on March 26, 2012, 10:03:45 AM
I had one of those Peavey's with the 15" speaker I can't remember its modal name,anyway it was a cool amp and I think its still available.The one I used wa 35 watts and Tele's sound great played thru a 15" speaker is amazing nice sounding.I also add that I owned a great solid state amp for a while with a 15 in it,again I can't remember the modal.It was an Evans though pricey new used not so much.Better know by jazz players it was a very flexable amp.They make smaller modals and I'm not sure how available they are but I thought I'd mention them.
unclrob,

You're referring to the Peavey Delta Blues 115, and yes, it's still made (Peavey also makes a Delta Blues with 2 10's from time to time). Two channels, 30 watts (four EL84 power tubes), reverb and two-knob tremolo. Footswitch changes channels and turns trem on/off. These amps have a button on them - called "boost" - that most people don't bother with. But if you're playing out, you can turn on the boost, turn your treble tone all the way up, and bass and mid contols all the way down, and it's a very useful gigging tone! It absolutely transforms the amp, especially the drive channel.

This amp had the Classic 50 head, and a 15" speaker in the cab that they use for their Classic 50/410. And it was called the "Blues Classic". There weren't a lot of them made - I've seen and played a couple. Very cool amp, as you can imagine; Peavey really ought to reconsider reissuing this one.

Quote from: bacchus on March 20, 2012, 05:21:25 PM

Side Note:   Test driving amps at my local music stores sucks.  There is an awful mixture of having to listen over other people's crap, forcing them to listen to your crap, and generally drawing the ire of the employees trying to sell you their crap.  I don't consider myself a particularly good player, so this is always an exercise in humility and embarassment.  Im sure this has been discussed since the beginning of time (as it pertains to instrument shopping), but I figured that I would throw my voice in the mix.

This is SO TRUE! I consider myself an intermediate player, and I'm not embarrassed to play in a store (most of the time), but it's still a hassle trying to really hear and experience an amp in that setting. Very frustrating!

On another 'note'  :rolleye: another amp that's coming out in a few months that has me intrigued (speaking of 15" speakers, unclrob) is the Fender Excelsior. It's release date is supposed to be April 20, 2012 (according to Musician's Friend).

Thirteen watts (two 6V6 power tubes) into a 15" speaker, volume control, tremolo control and a bright switch, that's it! This will be Made in China, no doubt, but it's a very interesting package - a fairly low watt amp with a big speaker and an old fashioned trem effect...and an old fashioned "radio style" cabinet...perfect for the corner of your living room! Price at MF is $299 - that's pretty easy on the wallet.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/fender-pawn-shop-special-excelsior-13w-1x15-tube-guitar-combo-amp

Rev thanks my ability to remember things isn't what it use to be.As for the Fender looks cool but I'm set on amps as I just don't play much electric these days.I have a 72 Fender Princeton Reverb 12 watts and a 10" Jenson reissue speaker a Fender Champ 12 with an old reconed Celestion 12" and I'm using a GK Backline 250 head with a 12" bass speaker in an old Peavey 112 extention cab which went with my Peavey Classic 30.I do miss playing thru a single 15" for both guitar and bass but I'm old and have a bad back. :bgrin:
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: Mikeymac on March 26, 2012, 10:15:50 AM
Southpaw Guy,

Where O where did you find a lefty like that!?!?!?!?   :drool:  :arrow

I WANT ONE!!!

I've looked for something like that for years, couldn't find one (currently looking into an SG Standard...).

Please do tell...thanks!

Not wishing to derail this thread I'l start a new one with more pics ...

Well, wading in here even though I don't have and RS-4 (I'll take one, however!)

This is a relatively newcomer to the guitar amp market.  I just like the packaging and YouTube sound demos (which are a terrible way to audition an amp IMO).

http://www.ztamplifiers.com/products/

Anyone tried these yet?
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on March 26, 2012, 04:24:53 PM

This is a relatively newcomer to the guitar amp market.  I just like the packaging and YouTube sound demos (which are a terrible way to audition an amp IMO).

http://www.ztamplifiers.com/products/

Anyone tried these yet?

Actually, I just tried one about a month ago. It does have impressive volume, but I found it tiring to my ears. There's more bass that should be on tap for a 6.5" speaker, but I actually found I prefer the tone of my Pathfinder 15R (8" speaker), even though it probably doesn't get as loud. When I plugged the ZT Lunchbox into a 210 cab, I actually like that less than the ZT's internal speaker. 

The ZT Lunchboz only has one tone control; the larger version with the 12" speaker has the full T-M-B tone section, but it's also a lot bigger and a lot more money. There's not a lot of actual overdrive distortion on tap; to get anything usable, in my opinion, you need to use a stompbox, but those work pretty well with the amp.

It does make a lot of volume, and it's pretty focused, so in a band situation with a bass player, it might actually be okay, but most decent tube amps don't have to worry. I sent it back after trying it out for a couple days - and mine was a "used" one from MF that was $235, I think. Didn't think it was worth keeping; someone else might really like it.

For a cheap bang around amp, I bought a Jet City 20 head and 1-12" bottom for about $300 new.  I also have a Dr. Z Galaxie that ran me over $1500, but the Jet City is not bad.  With the preamp and master volume, you can get lots of dirt but still be at relatively low volume.  There are a ton of amps out there today that are good "at home" choices.

Quote from: pete12string on May 22, 2012, 05:03:43 PM
For a cheap bang around amp, I bought a Jet City 20 head and 1-12" bottom
Luv my Jet City!!!!!!
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

What do you guys know about a Fender Deville 2x12?   Also the VOX AC30.   These are listed in my local Craigslist and will be needing something for the F-V.

Thanks for any input!

:wave :wave