Amps for an RS-4

Started by bacchus, January 05, 2012, 12:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: madoclake on January 06, 2012, 09:00:42 PM
um... Are you saying that you take guitar lessons from Randy Bachman? Can anyone join?!

The Guess Who in the 80's??? Not so sure it would be Randy
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: fritferret on January 06, 2012, 10:11:13 PM
forgive the spam, but i'm actually selling what was my bedroom/home studio amp.  a traynor darkhorse head and cab.  it's a great little combo.  def. soft enough for bedroom use, but you can actually gig it, too.  great platform for pedals, too.  pm me if you're interested or check them out brand new.

Luv Traynor - If you were near by I would be taking you up on that deal
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: unclrob on January 05, 2012, 02:44:47 PM
I have played them thru mostley tube amps and since I prefer tube amps I say TUBE AMP.The amps I have played thru so far have been a Silver Face Fender Vibrolux,72 Fender Princeton Reverb,75 Fender Delux Reverb and a Peavey Classic 30.If I was in the market for a humbucking guitar and since I own a 72 Princeton Reverb I'd play it thru that and be very happy as not only is it a great home amp I gig on it too.

There are no Larrivee electrics near me to try.  I'd love to hear an RS-4 thru any of the amps you just mentioned.  I developed a new appreciation for single coil pick ups a few years ago and stumbled into a 73 Princeton Reverb along the way.  It's been serviced and has some mild upgrades including a Weber 10f150t.  Compared to the Deluxes and Twins I've played,  the PR has a warmer tone, not overly bright like some of the larger Fender amps.  Sings with the volume at 4 or so,  more "hair" up around 6 to 8 and plenty capable of making my ears ring.  

Quote from: bacchus on January 06, 2012, 04:09:22 PM
I suppose that I ought not be too dismissive of SS amps.  I just really have this romantic notion, pervasive in the gear hound communities, and internet forums, of having a sweet tube amp with all of it's vintage mojo, warm tones, and unicorn tears. ..............
Don't get me wrong, I didn't mean to imply tubes were not the way to go.  I think so much depends on what the ultimate use is going to be.

You wondered if 5 watts was enough power for your at home playing.  I don't really know the answer to that, but I would say you might want to get at least enough power to enable you to jam with a small group and be heard in a home setting.  You never know if you might run into a situation in the future where a few people want to get together and make some music.  Just a thought.

And I should put a caveat on my general opinions in my previous post.  And that is I am not an experienced tube amp user to start with and never did quite figure out all the nuances and subtle relationships between adjusting the knobs on tube amps in conjunction with the knobs on the guitar to get the tone I thought I would like to get.   :wacko:

Good luck in your search.  Looking and trying out stuff is half the fun.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on January 06, 2012, 10:19:04 PM
The Guess Who in the 80's??? Not so sure it would be Randy

No, it isn't Randy Bachman. The gentleman's name is Brian Tataryn and he's the genuine article. He played with the Guess Who in 1981. If you Google him you'll see he was also the musical director for the "Osmond's" movie that was shot here in Winnipeg. He owns a small, used guitar shop in Winnipeg called Ultimate Guitar Works. If you ever stop by Winnipeg you must stop in to see Brian. He has rooms full of guitars and amps, all used, many vintage. Last week I went into his shop and he had a Trainwreck amp sitting on top of a pile of other very nice vintage amps.

I took lessons every week for a year with him but had to stop just a few weeks ago due to a change in my work. The best part of the lessons were some of the stories he would tell; opening for the Allman Brothers, sitting in the green room with Billy Gibbons and playing his guitar, growing up with some of the best musicians that came out of Winnipeg in the 60's and 70's. I found myself grinning at every lesson just knowing that I found the holy grail of guitar teachers.

Anyway, I can go on and on about this guy but maybe that could be another thread? Who was your favorite guitar teacher and why?
RS-4 Forum V Mini's,

Quote from: bacchus on January 06, 2012, 04:09:22 PM
What are some thoughts on 5W tube amps?  I don't need a lot, I am really only a bedroom player, but I don't want to be too lacking.

I think the main issue with a 5w tube amp is the speaker: bigger and more efficient is the key. I have a Gibson Goldtone GA15-RV that I play on the triode/5W setting all the time, and the volume is usually set at around 9-10 for basement playing, and even then my wife will tell me I'm too loud (from upstairs in the living room). Turn it up to noon and it's really getting cranked (even when I use it - miked - for worship, I don't have it turned up halfway). It has a Celestion Vintage 30 (12") speaker in it; I assume there are other speakers that would even be louder/more efficient.

If you eve see one of these GA15-RV's for sale, GET IT! One of my all time favorite amps, and it compares very nicely to my Carr Rambler. On the used market they go for around $350-500. Worth ... every ... penny.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Regarding the 5W amps, it sure seems nice to have a sweet boutique for a reasonable price, but generally when something seems too good to be true, it is.  Though, I suspect 5W would be enough for 90+% of what will do.  I definitely don't need any more than around 15 or so watts.  My dad has a 50W and I never took the volume past 1.5 - 2.  Mikeymac brings up a good point regarding the speaker size so I will keep that in mind as well.   

I am still keeping the swart 5W in mind, I only wish I could try some of these.  We have a few decent stores to get guitars and gear here in Albuquerque, but I haven't seen anything with a heavy selection of boutique or rarer amps yet.  I also wish I could try an RS-4, though I have nothing but confidence in it's execution.

I looked in to the carr and the traynor.  Both sounded great, the carr seems fantastic, though the price made me quiver a bit.  If I do boutique it will probably have to be a while down the line.  This is likely to be a crazy year for me as I am getting married, starting a new job, etc....  We'll see where that takes and leaves me.

@fritferret - I will keep the traynor in mind, but first I am going to go around and do some playing, I'll let you know if I become more serious about it.

Thanks everyone
Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18

BTW, for those of you who were thinking about the Forum V RS-4, the specs are included in the vote thread.  I don't know if they are finalized yet, but the options are there and if you are serious you may be able to cast your vote for final specs (things like laquer vs. poly finish, headstock inlay, etc...).  This is probably the wrong place to post this, but I noticed a couple of people mentioning in this thread that they were looking at it and thought I would point this out.  I think that this is going to be a sweet and special guitar.

Cameron
Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18

Whatever you decide on, spend a couple of extra bucks and get one of these.  Lets you fool around wherever you may be.  It's a hoot.

www.ampuplugnplay.com/

Quote from: Walkerman on January 09, 2012, 07:28:32 AM
Whatever you decide on, spend a couple of extra bucks and get one of these.  Lets you fool around wherever you may be.  It's a hoot.

www.ampuplugnplay.com/

Walkerman, do you own one of those?I listened to the clips at the website...sounds about how you'd expect.

It does look like a nice solution for portability...not sure I'd want to use it on a regular basis in the man cave though...
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I often try and learn new tunes by sitting in front of my computer and playing along with Youtube "lessons".  Many of these songs are covers of classic rock, rock n roll, etc.  Unless I go to the hassle of hauling up an amp from my basement and setting it up in my computer room, I am limited to using an acoustic for songs I will end up playing on an electric.  This might be a good solution for me.

Walkerman, I assume you have one?  How loud can it reasonably play and how long between battery changes?

Quote from: Mikeymac on January 09, 2012, 09:01:04 AM
Walkerman, do you own one of those?I listened to the clips at the website...sounds about how you'd expect.

It does look like a nice solution for portability...not sure I'd want to use it on a regular basis in the man cave though...

Yes, me and my sons each have one.  No, it's not a practice amp, it's an amp you can use when you can't use a real one.  In a car, on the stoop (if you get my drift)...around the camp fire.

There's been some talk here of Randy Bachman..here's what he says...

I love the AMP-U-PLUG-N-PLAY"
Randy Bachman-formerly of:
Bachman-Turner-Overdrive
The Guess Who

I guess what I would call it is a personal amplifier.  You use it when you are writing, or kicked back on the couch and you want to play your electric and not your acoustic.  But, you are mainly playing for yourself.

Any comments on battery life?

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on January 10, 2012, 01:03:37 PM
Any comments on battery life?

They use a 9volt, and it lasts well, depends upon how much you play. Mine seems to last quit awhile.

Check out Art Nace's amps at http://www.naceamps.com/.  Last month I sold my Tweed Blues Jr. and got one of these honeys.  Check out the vids on his website, this amp reminds me a lot of a 60's Princeton that will overdrive and dirty up nicely at peak volumes.  Also, it is one of the quietest amps I've ever heard. 

Paul
Larrivee L-03R -- Harmony Parlor -- Larrivee Bakersfield -- NACE M2-7R

I saw a demo of an RS-4 played through a Laney VC-15 which sounded great. Any opinions on the Laney for a small "around the house" amp.

Back in 1997 I too was dead set on getting a nice tube amp.  What did I end up buying?  A Tech 21 Trademark 60.  It's not a tube amp, but its tone is great and it's very versatile and it's plenty loud.  It currently resides in a closet because even turned down to 1.5-2 my wife will still ask that I turn it down.  So, for bedroom jamming my main amp is a little 15 watt Peavey Vypyr.  I bought that for $95 and swapped out the stock (POS) speaker with an Eminence Alpha 8-A ($45), and that little amp sounds amazing considering how little it cost.  I can't really speak to the best choice for a tube amp, since I've never had the pleasure of owning one.  They do have a certain magic that a SS amp will never fully emulate, but for me the added benefit simply wasn't worth the additional cost.  Back when I was in search of a great tube amp Mesa Boogie was near the top of the wishlist, so you might check a few of those out. Hope you find an amp that delivers what you're after.  Good Luck, and let us know what you end up with.  Bart
2010 RS-2 w/ P-90s and flamed maple top
2002 Les Paul DC
2007 MIM 60's Strat
2012 MIK Steinberger Spirit GT-Pro
1995(6?) MIJ Jackson Soloist
1989? MIK Washburn KC-60V w/ DiMarzios
2013 YRG-1000 Gen 2 Guitar Synth
2004 MIJ Takamine AN10

Just an update, since I noticed new activity.  I have been playing around (as much as I can, which isn't a lot these days) with some amps and some modelers.  Though I am no where near finding the amp for me, I have learned a lot.

I have taken the advice given here and played with as many amps as I could find, though I have only gotten to play a very small selection: some Vox's, Fenders, a Blackstar, an Egnater, etc...  To be honest, these were all very nice and each had something that I liked.  The ones that surprised me the most, however, were a Blackstar and the Vox AC15 and 30.  I found these to be nicely versatile and generally liked them a lot at high gain settings as well as clean. 

Side Note:  Test driving amps at my local music stores sucks.  There is an awful mixture of having to listen over other people's crap, forcing them to listen to your crap, and generally drawing the ire of the employees trying to sell you their crap.  I don't consider myself a particularly good player, so this is always an exercise in humility and embarassment.  Im sure this has been discussed since the beginning of time (as it pertains to instrument shopping), but I figured that I would throw my voice in the mix.

Anyway, I have also had a surprising amount of fun playing with the amp models included on my POD XT.  This models several different Mesa, Vox, Fender, Marshall, Orange, and other amps of all varieties.  Although I know that this is nowhere near the the real thing, it has done a lot to inform me about various types of amps: what I like, what I don't, and what general kinds of amps to keep an eye out for.  I don't know why I never did this.

Finally, I have really tried to squeeze the most out of my current amp, a hand-me-down Laney EA 120 2x12 acoustic / electric solid-state amp.  @TomRC - This isn't the greatest amp in the world, but honestly, for an acoustic/electric combo, it is pretty versatile and can sound pretty good when eq'd correctly.  Good (not great) clean, and a pretty beefy distortion.

So, until I get the RS-4, spend some time with it, and pick up a little cash; I think that I am happy to just get the most out of what I have and do some research about what I really want.  This is my plan.  As soon as the Forum V gets here though, all bets are off.  This can't happen soon enough since my current electric is on the outs.   :crying:

Thanks everyone for the input.
Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18

I have an AC30CCII, a Blues Jnr 60th Anniversary, and a Laney TT50.

All great amps but the one I use the most is a Super Champ XD. It's a fantastic little amp and loves pedals, plays very well at low volume levels and sounds good with any guitar or pickup I've used with it.

It was also the least expensive of the lot.

Don't have pictures of it with the RS-4, pictured with an SBG2000.

... any excuse  :nanadance

This is the actual Laney I was considering (Laney VC-15) and would love to hear others input. From what I've read it seems like a great option for the $

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8_DXkCeIjA