Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lefty Bakersfields  (Read 5051 times)
Matthew Larrivee
Admin

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2012, 07:03:39 AM »

So, Matthew ... any idea when it will ship? And ... is this the first lefty out of the chute, or have there been a couple others (other finishes)?

Appreciate all you are doing for us lefties!

@ Anders451: Why would I want a 2nd pickguard - what I'll probably want is either a Butterscotch or a Transparent Red Tele with the standard pickup... 

This is the first one made, and assembled.

There are others in the works now Including copper, butterscotch, and seafoam green. Also there are lefty rosewood fretboards.
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2012, 09:54:19 PM »

There are others in the works now Including copper, butterscotch, and seafoam green. Also there are lefty rosewood fretboards.

bigrin

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2012, 09:57:18 PM »

bowdown  Mikeymac

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2012, 04:30:39 AM »

bowdown  Mikeymac

rolleye

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2012, 04:50:49 PM »

The first lefty Bakersfield has landed ... but I won't be able to check it out until this afternoon! I have a funeral this morning ... first things first.

They called and left a message on my home phone yesterday ... I gave them my cell number, but they always ignore my instructions!!!  mad

I could have picked it up yesterday. As it stands now, I'll have to wait until Monday to get to the bank and get the money to take 'er home! Oh well, I have so much going on, I wouldn't get to spend much time with 'er anyway...

...but she's here!!! 

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Cybercanyon

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2012, 07:59:55 PM »

The anticipation.  It will all be worth it once you open the case.   

Seek perfection of character!
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!
Refrain from violent deeds!
LeftyBlake

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2012, 08:44:06 PM »

Two tone tobacco burst is one of my favorite looks for a Tele style guitar. That looks amazing! nice guitar Congrats mikeymac.
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2012, 12:06:17 AM »

Okay, I finally got to see it/touch it/play it/hear it this afternoon!

All I can say is it exceeded my expectations (which were very high)! The wood and finish is beautiful - the coloring is exactly like the one on the website, and not washed out looking, like the pics we've seen here (darn flash). Just amazing; gorgeous - I don't know what else to say...

...except that the neck is also amazing. Impeccable fretwork, nicely cut nut, and the neck is a little bigger than most "strat/tele" necks; feels great in your hand. The action is adjusted very low - for light playing you can fly up and down the neck. When you hit the strings with more force though, there's some buzz, so I'm going to have the action adjusted a little before I bring it home and I can tweak it from there.

The pickups ... all I can say is WOW  unclrob, you were right, these pickups sound wonderful. The bridge is that perfect tele twang and snarl, but the neck mini-humbucker really surprised me - not boomy, not weak, lots of character. It's great for chording and leads - I'm very happy with it. Middle position is typical Tele, but with a little bit "more" (you might say it goes to '11'). BTW, I was playing it through a Carr Rambler 210 that they have in the store - which is the exact amp I own and use every Sunday for worship.

Just one mistake, easily fixed: the pickup selector is set up backward (no jokes about it being a lefty please - I got that from the guys at the store); so hopefully we can just pull up the control plate and flip the switch around; their tech is going to look at it on Monday before I bring it home.

I am a happy camper, and can't wait to finally bring it home for good!

Here's the pic from Larrivee's website once again: this is exactly how the finish looks...rich, deep nice burst:

[attachment deleted by admin]

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
SMan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2012, 12:49:20 AM »

Tasty!  nice guitar

Steve ....aka the SMan
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2012, 03:34:21 AM »

Oh, pardon my manners, I forgot to say...

THANK YOU MATTHEW!!! THANK YOU JEAN!!!
THANK YOU GOOD PEOPLE AT LARRIVEE!!!

And for everyone else... 

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
randmag

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2012, 04:51:20 AM »

Okay, I finally got to see it/touch it/play it/hear it this afternoon!

All I can say is it exceeded my expectations (which were very high)! The wood and finish is beautiful - the coloring is exactly like the one on the website, and not washed out looking, like the pics we've seen here (darn flash). Just amazing; gorgeous - I don't know what else to say...

...except that the neck is also amazing. Impeccable fretwork, nicely cut nut, and the neck is a little bigger than most "strat/tele" necks; feels great in your hand. The action is adjusted very low - for light playing you can fly up and down the neck. When you hit the strings with more force though, there's some buzz, so I'm going to have the action adjusted a little before I bring it home and I can tweak it from there.

The pickups ... all I can say is WOW  unclrob, you were right, these pickups sound wonderful. The bridge is that perfect tele twang and snarl, but the neck mini-humbucker really surprised me - not boomy, not weak, lots of character. It's great for chording and leads - I'm very happy with it. Middle position is typical Tele, but with a little bit "more" (you might say it goes to '11'). BTW, I was playing it through a Carr Rambler 210 that they have in the store - which is the exact amp I own and use every Sunday for worship.

Just one mistake, easily fixed: the pickup selector is set up backward (no jokes about it being a lefty please - I got that from the guys at the store); so hopefully we can just pull up the control plate and flip the switch around; their tech is going to look at it on Monday before I bring it home.

I am a happy camper, and can't wait to finally bring it home for good!

Here's the pic from Larrivee's website once again: this is exactly how the finish looks...rich, deep nice burst:

I just received my Bakersfield Friday and I completely agree with Mikeymac. I also have the mini in the neck and it's a great sounding combination.

I know this is a thread for Lefty guitars but I wanted to post my first pic here; I'm very excited about my Larrivee guitars. I hope this works

[attachment deleted by admin]

RS-4 Forum V Mini's,
RS-4 Goldtop HB's,
Bakersfield burst,
L03,
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2012, 02:23:14 AM »

Follow up report...

Stopped back in to the store this afternoon and sat in while their tech flipped the switch and tweaked the neck a hair. He had to unsolder a couple wires because they were wired perfectly with no slack. The extra wire he added was also vintage cloth wrapped - match!

Played it some more, and now the action is perfect, and the tone continues to make me smile. The neck just feels great in your hand; beefy but not too much (like some '50's Gibsons that have a lot of "shoulder" on them - this is a lot like the Warmoth "boatneck" profile; I have three other guitars with that neck on it, so this feels like "home").

Pics when I pick it up Friday...I looked more closely at it today, and noticed that it has a two-piece body, with a typical, "old school Fender style" off-center seam (noticeable on the back, but not the front unless you look really close). Callaham bridge and string ferrules - very cool, and the wiring inside was immaculate, with upscale pots labeled "Seymour Duncan" and what looked like an "oil in metal case" capacitor (.0.47). Old school Kluson tuners complete the hardware package.

It was so hard to leave it there today (banks were closed today, so I couldn't deposit a business reimbursement check I'm using to pay off the balance...darn holidays!)...but I've got so much going on this week, I wouldn't have time to mess with it (much!) tonight anyway! Not if I want to get out of town tomorrow!

Oh well, the week will go fast; my wife is going with me, and we're going to see some old friends, so it will be a refreshing week in some ways (even though it's a "business" trip).

Pics Friday afternoon ... I promise!

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2012, 04:11:10 AM »

Is the mini hb produced by Larrivee?I can't remember.Everything you've said is what I thought when I tryed the one out here in town.Wish I had the quid its one of the best T-style's I have evr played.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2012, 04:14:31 AM »

unclrob, the mini is also a Seymour Duncan. I like it a lot...almost sounds like a good Strat neck single coil.  I'm looking forward to spending some more time with it, tweaking through my own amps, pedals, and playing situation.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
SouthpawGuy

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2012, 01:00:50 AM »

unclrob, the mini is also a Seymour Duncan. I like it a lot...almost sounds like a good Strat neck single coil.  I'm looking forward to spending some more time with it, tweaking through my own amps, pedals, and playing situation.

nice guitar

Congrats ! Any further impressions of the new arrival ?
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2012, 09:26:32 PM »

I picked it up on Tuesday morning before we went out of town for three days  crying - just couldn't stand it, leaving it at the store all week! But of course, then I had to leave it at home all week while we were in Topeka! With nothin' but a ukulele and my wife ...  whistling rolleye

Anyway, I played it at home quite a bit last night when we returned (my wife's so sweet, letting me go hide in the man cave for awhile! Buying her that box set of old I Love Lucy shows at Pamida sure did the trick, though!  )

Anyway, I lowered the strings at the bridge (after the guy raised them in the store!); now the action's perfect! Also had to give it its first good cleaning - get all the fingerprints off!

I've compared it to my other 3 Tele or Tele style guitars, and it's definitely the number one. Interestingly, if you want brash bright Tele spank, the $59 SX from Rondo (got it on sale at that price!) is really pretty good (that's an amazing bridge pup in that thing), but the Larrivee does that, yet in a more refined way, and with a much much nicer set up and neck (the SX has some rough fret ends and uneven fretwork - the Larrivee fret ends are as smooth as a baby's bottom and leveled to perfection!).

I'll post a few pics here after a bit; I've got some more "real work" to do yet this afternoon, especially since I've been gone for three days!

But I'm still 100% satisfied with the guitar ... and Dietze Music said that, based on the quality of mine, they're going to order a couple more Bakersfields (righties of course) for their inventory. Several right-handed players were very interested in checking mine out! It's definitely Fender Custom Shop quality (or better...) without the Custom Shop price.

Pics soon, I promise!

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2012, 03:24:38 AM »

As a tele player I don't use the bridge pu much by itself mostley a neck player but I did find that the Bakersfield I played had a very usable tone and I'm not a Duncan pu fan.I got some nice pop out it.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2012, 06:12:54 AM »

As a tele player I don't use the bridge pu much by itself mostley a neck player but I did find that the Bakersfield I played had a very usable tone and I'm not a Duncan pu fan.I got some nice pop out it.

Wow, unclrob; that surprises me! The only players I've ever heard of who played Tele's primarily on the neck pickup have been jazz players, like Ed Bickert and Ted Greene (there may be a few others).  The neck mini on the Bakersfield sounds very good, but if Matthew makes some Larrivee mini-humbuckers, I'll HAVE TO try one in this guitar at some point; I won't be convinced I have the best until I try Larrivee's version.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2012, 02:39:20 PM »

Well he convince a life long hater of humbuckers to go over to the dark side.I still haven't heard another hber that I like and I've installed a lot.Thats why I thought he was making the mini when you praise it.I'm sure he will start building his own.As for the use of the neck pu I'm mostly a rythm player and as an R+B player the neck works great for those single note line's combined with chords.Plus everyone plays in the bridge position and they always sound brittle to me.Its not that I don't use it but not as much and mostley with the neck or by itself with the tone rolled off.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2012, 06:44:43 PM »

I do like the neck mini pickup on this thing, very usable tones, with nice clear highs, even mids and lows that aren't boomy. Very usable for rhythm or lead parts, and drives nicely, too. I tried lowering it a little, but then raised it back up some, because I was losing some of it's clarity.

I'm still in for a Larrivee mini when Matthew starts winding them! I have no doubt it can and will sound even better than this one.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: