Bo Diddley. Early "right hand man" What kind of Guitar?

Started by flatlander, January 03, 2012, 06:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My music partner started out as a student and recently has picked up interst in learning again.  So showing chords and such. Of course the right hand is at least as important.
Told her we would start playing "Iko Iko" more and I'd teach her "not fade away" and Buffets "volcano" All of which have a Bo Diddley type rhythm. (actually I'd say it's more from New Orleans via Carribean via Africa but anyway.....)
So I pulled up a couple of Bo Diddley U-tubers.
1. Classic Diddley rythym. But what kind of guitars are he and soul chick playing? Pretty sure his trademark rectangular guitar was his design custom made for him by Gretch. What about these?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMTUHNTmAWc&feature=related

2. Diddley going crazy with nothin but right hand energy. I don't know if he's trying to hit those dissonent grinding notes on "breaks"  or if he means to be out of tune on half the stuff he does, but it doesn't matter! He's just playing afro drums across strings. Seriously I do think that type of rythym is one everyone should include in thier arsenal.
BO GONE WILD with crowd in palm of right hand.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFpv1LKrA9s&feature=related
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Those are all Gretsch guiitars.    I think they are Jupiters in the first video.    and his signature cigar-box shaped Gretsch in the 2nd video

There is a version of the Gretsch Jupiter that is called the Billy-Bo Jupiter Thunderbird.  Named for Billy Gibbons of ZZ Topp and Bo Diddley.    You can see Billy using his on various videos.

I did see something about a builder that made custom guitars for Diddley and ZZ top but it was somebodies name, not Gretch. Maybe he is/was a part of Gretch? wait a minute and I'll get his name...--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ok, Here
"Although he had other odd-shaped guitars custom-made for him by other manufacturers throughout the years, most notably the "Cadillac" design made by Tom Holmes (who also made guitars for ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons, among others)

From Wiki

The Gretsch G6199 "Billy-Bo" Jupiter Thunderbird is a reproduction of a guitar designed by Bo Diddley (1928–2008) in 1959 and produced by a former Gretsch employee. Diddley built his first guitar in 1945, it was trapezoid shaped since Diddley felt that the regular shaped Gibson L5 he was playing were hindering his live performances. The smaller trapezoid and rectangular guitars allowed him to keep jumping around on stage while still playing his guitar. Diddley went on to play a number of rectangular guitars built by himself and others, which soon became one of his trademarks throughout his career. In 1959 Bo approached a former Gretsch employee known only as "Juliano" to build him some guitars from his own designs using Gretsch necks and hardware. The resulting three guitars (Jupiter Thunderbird, Cadillac and Cigar Box), two of which were named after popular automobiles became synonymous with Diddley and his '60s stage partner "The Duchess".

The Jupiter was later donated as a gift to ZZ Top frontman Billy Gibbons who used it on some ZZ Top recordings. Since Gibbons didn't want to risk subjecting the rare guitar to touring and live performances, Gibbons approached Gretsch with the idea of reproducing the Jupiter Thunderbird. The end result was the G6199 "Billy-Bo" Jupiter Thunderbird which Gretsch launched in 2005.

"Some time ago, Bo gave me the guitar as a gift. It was during the recent ZZ Top recordings when the engineering crew and I snaked through the guitar vault searching for that 'certain-something' guitar and there it was! We didn't risk subjecting such a rare instrument to the rigors of the road so this new, reproduction model was recreated with some BFG Mojo thrown in for good measure. It's now the main stage guitar with a groove." -Billy F Gibbons

Later Gretsch also launched the G6199B "Billy-Bo" Jupiter Thunderbird Bass which is a four string bass identical to the guitar, the G5810 Bo Diddley inspired by Diddley's rectangular guitars and the G5850 Mini Diddley a miniature version of the rectangular guitar.

So,it sounds like a former Gretsch employee named Juliano made Bo a guitar to Bo's specs using Gretsch parts.   I don't know what you'd call the guitar that he produced.    :bgrin:

But, to your other point in your original post;    yes, the Bo Diddley beat is a weapon every guitarist has to have in his arsenal.    Long Live Ellis McDaniel and his classic riff  :thumb

I have no insight or comment on "what kind of guitar", is being used: sorry.  I did notice the amps being used and I deduced they were fenders but can't say what model.
But that aside, I must say Bo gives the definative clinic on how to get the most out of one chord.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on January 04, 2012, 01:02:08 AM
But that aside, I must say Bo gives the definative clinic on how to get the most out of one chord.
Indeed, and that was really my main thought (I am not really a gear/guitar type nut) John Lee Hooker of course a one chord king as well as shown here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM3PuXDpKiA&feature=related
A quite mellower and cooler groove with Hooker but both of them show how to lay down a groove with right hand. Well in Diddley's case, beat out a groove!