1980's Larrivee electric

Started by madoclake, December 19, 2011, 02:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Here is an unusual one. There is a website image that shows this guitar next to a Voodoo and gives it a name, but I can't find the website again. Does anyone know what name Larrivee gave to this Gibson Explorer type shape? It is a relatively early model (serial number 3778). Mike Kitchen at Larrivee estimates production as 1982-83 for those of you who might have some older brochures or images.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Peter
Larrivee L-09
Larrivee RS-2 2010
Larrivee RS-4 1983 "Explorer"

The year seems about right as I have a 3592 ( I think) and have 1983 in my head for some reason.

Re model name:

Neck Configuration:   R = Neck thru and L = Bolt on
Body Style:  S = Strat and T = Tele
Pickup Configuration:  A number was used such as 1, 2, 3, or 4 depending on the PUP set up - this one would be a 4

I have not heard of any electrics called anything but RS, LS, RT, LT.  Interesting question.

Anyone :?

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

It is a neck through. So as a model it is an RS-4. It does have a name - in the same way Larrivee Voodoo has a name. I wish I could find that web image of six Larrivee electric guitars in two rows of three. The bottom row shows the Voodoo, the red guitar pictured and a white guitar (also in a non-standard shape). I'll find it again eventually!

BTW This red RS4 is very playable. The neck and fretboard are exactly the way you expect a Larrivee neck and fretboard to feel. I can't tell how Larrivee assembled the body, but my guess is the neck goes all the way through and the "fins" are glued above and below. If it is all one piece it wouldn't be a terribly efficient use of the wood, but maybe?  How did larrivee make the Voodoo? Probably the same method, yes?
Peter
Larrivee L-09
Larrivee RS-2 2010
Larrivee RS-4 1983 "Explorer"