Help.. Humidity Trouble!

Started by ziggy, December 17, 2004, 12:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey gang - I'm having some trouble trying to keep my parlor properly humidified. The apartment I live in has forced heat and there's no way to control it, needless to say it's really dry in there. Right now my hygrometer's been showing 27% humidity. :o  I'm starting to feel the sharp edges of the frets very slightly sticking out on the neck.  I'm already using a Holmes humidifier, which I've placed close by and I keep a Dampit and Planet Waves in the soundhole. Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks for the help!
2003 Taylor 314ce
2000 Larrivee Parlor Walnut
2003 Taylor Baby Bubinga

Put a bucket of water under the air intake,keep the guitar in the case with the planet wave and make sure the units are keeped moist.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

is the holmes humidifier a little thing, or a larger, more high output kinda thing? I use a 'whole house" humidifier (8 gallon wick-type) in my family room where the guitars are, and in cold snaps I have to refill it every couple of days.

bottom line, you gotta get an accurate hygrometer to show you a number at least in the high 30's or the guitar's gotta go in the case at all times with the planet waves, dampit etc.

Rob 

Larrivee OM-03R
Art & Lutherie Cedar/cherry Parlor (the best 200-dollar guitars in the world, made in Canada by real guitar craftspeople) :-)
Click to Read About Art & Lutherie Guitars
Peavey Generation EXP

I agree on the room type humidifier.  I have an 8 gallon unit that I picked up at ACE for $100 or so, and it goes through a full 8 gallons a day.  I am in Montana where wintertime humidity is low, and also have forced air heat.  The hygrometer on the unit stays about 47% with my setup.  Keep in mind though, the hygrometers are notoriously inaccurate.  I use 3 different kinds, a spring type analog that I don't even remember where I got it from, the one on the humidifier, and I keep one of the Planet Waves digital humidifier hygrometers out also.  That way I can average the three results and get a reasonable accuracy.  Hope this helps.  Jason
http://www.notableguitars.com
My guitars:

Larrivee OM-50
Fender Strat
Larrivee OM-03MT

I agree with the above suggestions.

Another thought...it's easier to humidify a smaller room...such as a walk-in closet.  You may need to keep your guitar in the case, in the closet, with the door closed when not playing it.  Your humidifier may be able to keep a smaller area such as this moist.  Another consideration, though you would have to be very careful...generally speaking, the bathroom is probably the most humid room in the house/apartment.
Jerry  #698

2001 Larrivee D-09
2001 Seagull M-6
1992 Alvarez 5040
c. 1995 Yamaha CG-150CA
1998 A&L Ami

Hey Ziggy,

I've got one of these:

Bionaire
Model# W12-UC
Console Humidifier with Digitals
* 10 gallon output/humidifies up to 1700sq ft
* Programmable humidistat
* Dual air filtration
* Patented quiet airflow system and GE motor
* Rubberized handles and large casters
* 2 2.5G removable tanks with side fill caps

I think it does a great job.  I keep it programmed at 50% and keep a couple of extra hygrometers from Radio Shack placed around the house just to be safe.   :)
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions!

The humidifier I have is a 1 gallon unit. I'm going to go out and buy a better one this weekend (probably the one you're showing me HangFire... thanks!). Hopefully that will do the trick.

Thanks again and HAPPY HOLIDAY'S to you all! :D  
2003 Taylor 314ce
2000 Larrivee Parlor Walnut
2003 Taylor Baby Bubinga

Normally, here in Floriduhhhh, we have the opposite problem, as this is generally the humidity capital of the world.  Given that we've had a cold spell, the heat has been on here.  For climates that use heat regularly, and for serious musicians, I recommend a whole house humidifier attached to the furnace plenun.  This is great for the instruments, and is also quite people friendly, as it prevents the "heating season" colds and sore throats from excessive dryness.
Love those fine guitars:
Larrivee L-05
Martin D-18 (1947)

Taylor 610

Gibson S.G. '61 reissue
Clapton Strat
Ovation Balladeer
 Martin SPD 16 K2
Gretsch Historic Series Sychromatic Slim-Jim
Martin D-41 special[b

Ziggy, sorry to hear about your misfortune. I too live in apartment and gets very dry in there. I used the planet waves in my guitars, and once a week or so even took them into the bathroom when I showered. However am grateful to hear such concerns as yours because is only thing going to get me through regret of not getting forum guitar. My CA should never have problems with humidity-its the only thing that gets me through the night. Patrick  
CA Bluegrass Performer, Larrivee D-02 (sapele),  Martin LXK2 \"If we weren't all crazy, we would go insane"

Try this too...it worked for me....i filled the tub with hot water and opened the guitar case and put it in there....without the guitar in it....the humidity there was 60% to 62%...i did this for 3 or 4 nights...the wood in the case gets well humidified and helps maintain the humidity in the case when you put the guitar back in it....i think when i first got my guitar that the wood in the case was absorbing the moisture from my planetwaves humidifier...however, after trying the above, i find it much easier to maintain a good humidity in the case...just need to "recharge" it every now and then if you find the humidity getting too low again....actually when my guitar was extremely dry i left it in the case in the bathroom with the humidity around 60%..haven't had any trouble since at maintaining a good humidity.

I would recommend moving to the Florida Keys.
At least when guitars get TOO moist... there's no permanent damage.
Usually, only a slight swelling and rising of the bridge.
( I've noticed that Mahogany & Koa seem most immune to this )

It's a lot nicer for humans, too!

good luck.

best regards,
Ra
[a href=\"http://surfpick.com\"] surfpick.com [/a]

Try So. California.  I live in Oxnard (sound familar?)...Not too dry, not too wet; not too hot, not too cold ....but just right..... :D