Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying advice?  (Read 3339 times)
SouthpawGuy

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2011, 11:06:03 AM »

If Larrivee ever does a Strat-style, I'll be in a quandry ... I have a couple (okay...four) excellent Warmoth Strat's I've built over the years, so the last thing I need is another ... but the Larrivee will probably have a couple unique features that will tempt me into it ...

Nice lefty geetars !
SouthpawGuy

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2011, 11:21:42 AM »

All it would take for me is a green offering similar to yours  drool

Some green goodness ....

My advice to the op for a first electric would be to go for something like a Strat or Tele and go from there.

There are lots of variations on the basic strat, tele, Les Paul style guitars but you can't go wrong with one of the "usual suspects".

None of the guitars pictured are typical of the basic strat, tele, Les Paul style guitars, but they're all green  bigrin 
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2011, 06:59:13 PM »

SouthpawGuy now you're jus' showin' off!!!  drool

All it would take for me is a green offering similar to yours  drool

That green one has been through several configurations ... my favorite - for looks, playability and tone - is with the all maple neck on it:

[attachment deleted by admin]

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
SouthpawGuy

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2011, 10:47:13 PM »

SouthpawGuy now you're jus' showin' off!!!  drool

Moi ?

shirley not !
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2011, 06:16:48 AM »

Moi ?

shirley not !

Oh, yes, definitely ... and don't call me Shirley!!!  rolleye

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
SouthpawGuy

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2011, 09:49:06 AM »

Oh, yes, definitely ... and don't call me Shirley!!!  rolleye

Of the guitars shown none are typical re pickup configuration, woods, hardware and construction. There are so many styles and sub styles of electric guitar it's very easy to get confused when trying to choose a first one. Les Paul types typically are a lot heavier than the average acoustic guitar, my own weighs 10lbs, I've noticed acoustic players tend to like strats or teles. Even then there are maybe two million different Fender Strat and Tele models at this point !
wilblee

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2011, 09:12:15 PM »

I own 4 Strats and 2 RS-4s with a 3rd in the works.  I love my Strats.  I love my RS-4s. 

But...

Only one of my Strats is anywhere near stock and it was a very special limited edition.  The other three have different pickups and controls (at least), than what they came with.  One is on its fourth (and final - thank the Lord) set of pickups/controls.  All four of my Strats started life as American Deluxe Strats - so really nice Strats.  They all needed modification to be what I wanted them to be.  It was a lot of fun modding them, but it was also very expensive.

My RS-4's, on the other hand are bone stock and I have no plans or even desire to modify them.  Everything about them is just right.

So, my advice is get the RS-2.  Play it. Love it (oh yes, you'll love it).  Then get a Strat when you want an electric as temporary hobby that will eventually result in an instrument.

How do you make God laugh?  Tell Him your plans.

bigonpig

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2011, 03:18:24 AM »

Just an update: earlier today I placed my order for the RS-2. Very excited and can't wait until next Friday when it is scheduled to arrive. I'll get some pics up when I have it. Thanks to all for the great advice and I'm really looking forward to playing the electric. Now if I could just figure out how to transform desire into talent... 

LS-03MT Island Edition
RS-2
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2011, 02:56:12 PM »

Congratulations on your incoming RS-2! We look forward to the pics!

Now if I could just figure out how to transform desire into talent... 

Just spend lots of wonderful time playing, my friend! Practice, practice, practice! (Like that old adage about real estate: location, location, location!)

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
madoclake

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2011, 03:16:14 PM »

Just an update: earlier today I placed my order for the RS-2. Very excited and can't wait until next Friday when it is scheduled to arrive. I'll get some pics up when I have it. Thanks to all for the great advice and I'm really looking forward to playing the electric. Now if I could just figure out how to transform desire into talent... 
great choice and congrats!!!!

Peter
Larrivee L-09
Larrivee RS-2 2010
Larrivee RS-4 1983 "Explorer"
bigonpig

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2012, 08:48:28 PM »

Just received my (new to me) RS-2 via UPS--it is a beaut! I'll get some pics up later today or tomorrow, that is, if I can put it down long enough to take some! Really looking forward to getting to know this guitar. And as my daughter said: now I can play some rock-n-roll!

LS-03MT Island Edition
RS-2
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2012, 10:32:26 PM »

gotpics?

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: