Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying advice?  (Read 3176 times)
bigonpig

Ignore
« on: December 20, 2011, 04:05:17 PM »

Question for the electric players: RS-2 or Fender Strat? A little background first, I've only played acoustic (~3-4 years) but am interested in going electric. I've played a few Fenders (a couple of strats and one jazzmaster) with my instructor, who also plays a strat; and I, like many others here, don't have a Larrivee dealer close to me to try out the RS-2. I found a used strat (MIM) at a local dealer that is right in my price range and a used RS-2 online that would stretch my price range. So should I just start out with the strat and see how things go from there, knowing I could move up to a RS-2 in the future or pull the trigger on the RS-2? And I do realize to whom I'm asking this question so I expect some bias but I would really appreciate your honest input. Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays to all.   

LS-03MT Island Edition
RS-2
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 04:28:16 PM »

My only thought would be don't think of it in terms of "going up" from a strat to an RS-2.  One is not necessarily superior to the other.  They are different guitars in terms of sound and feel.  I would say think more in terms of what sound you are after and what type of music you want to play, and maybe even with what other players/instruments you plan to play with.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 05:08:12 PM »

My only thought would be don't think of it in terms of "going up" from a strat to an RS-2.  One is not necessarily superior to the other.  They are different guitars in terms of sound and feel.  I would say think more in terms of what sound you are after and what type of music you want to play, and maybe even with what other players/instruments you plan to play with.

^^^THIS^^^

A Strat is a great all around, versatile guitar to start with. You haven't mentioned what styles of music you're into, but if you've been playing acoustic, a Strat is a good place to begin electric.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my RS-2 - right now it's at the top of my rotation...it gets a lot of playing time. It would also make a great first guitar, but if it stretches your budget, that's got to be your call. You've played a Strat, so there's a comfort level of familiarity there; that's important, especially when starting out.

Hope that was an unbiased opinion!!!

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
bigonpig

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 05:17:17 PM »

My only thought would be don't think of it in terms of "going up" from a strat to an RS-2. 

Good point; probably a poor choice of words. Have you played both? What do you like about them? My instructor recommends the Strat for many of the same reasons Mickeymac outlined. I like to play a variety of styles but am very interested in blues and heavily influenced blues-rock. Thanks for the input so far--keep it coming! 

LS-03MT Island Edition
RS-2
bacchus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 05:36:16 PM »

My opinion is this:  first, what people are saying here is absolutely correct.  These are going to be very different guitars, your preferred styles of music can, in large part, dictate your decision.  I have not had a chance to play any of the Larrivee electrics, but, for what it is worth, I have decided for various reasons that my first real electric will be an RS-4.  

I came from a similar situation in that I have been playing acoustic for a while (~5 years) and wanted to move into electric.  In many regards, the Strat is great for that; Strats can have a wonderful, fat, lovely clean tone.  Likewise, they can do blues like no one's business.  On the other hand, humbuckers and and mahogany based guitars have an attitude all their own.  They have a completely different kind of clean that is well suited for other styles of music, and there is nothing like that throaty growl you can get from and overdriven HB + Hog guitar.

One thing that I struggle with on Strats is that I just find them a bit awkward to play sometimes.  Many have a super tight radius which causes me problems, and that middle pickup is always getting in my way.  This is entirely due to my own abilities, mind you, but comfort and playability is something to consider, especially coming from acoustic.

TL;DR - both are great for different reasons, let the music be your guide.

Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18
PM33AUD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 08:06:54 PM »

This one is easy... what sound do you want (this, to me, is highly independent of the genre) and what 'feel' guitar do you like?

I played the hell out of strats coming up but I mostly did mild distortion/clean in the blues areas.  Then I went into some crazy metal and the strat couldn't 'keep up' and didn't have enough juice so I went Ibanez (which are also awesome guitars).  Now I am more close to prog/hard rock and don't need as heavy of a guitar (or 7 strings!) which is why I got the RS4.  Still got plenty of tone but handles higher gain and plays somewhere in the middle of a strat and ibby.

That being said... you can play blues, rock, death metal, etc... with a LP although I think strats are little more limited once you go high gain... then again, you put some HBs in it, and your there sound wise but maybe not as playable for speed licks.

IMO, if I were doing blues again, EITHER of these guitars would work just fine... question is, are you a BB or an SRV  :D   OH! almost forgot... I can't do 24.75 scale guitars which is why I never went Gibson.  The RS2 is 25.5" scale so it's a little closer to a strat than you might expect.  To me, the RS4 doesn't play at all like a Les Paul, which I love!  It's somewhere between a chunky strat and one of my Ibanez.  I don't have an RS2 but I am guessing dollar for dollar the workmanship is better than a similarly priced strat... Either of these guitars would be perfectly suitable.

Phil
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 12:46:05 AM »

OH! almost forgot... I can't do 24.75 scale guitars which is why I never went Gibson.  The RS2 is 25.5" scale so it's a little closer to a strat than you might expect.  To me, the RS4 doesn't play at all like a Les Paul, which I love!
Phil

This (scale length) is important, as well. I'm like Phil; I'm not a 24.75" scale guy; I only have one electric (out of around a dozen) that is LP scale; my MIJ Elitist Les Paul (also have two 25" scale Carvin neck through's, but they're both for sale). The Elitist is a great guitar, and sometimes it's the right sound and feel, but most of the time, I prefer 25.5" scale - which is why I also love the Larrivees. There's just more clarity on the low end, and if you back off the RS's tone controls, you can still get that thick, liquid, juicy lead tone that sounds so sweet.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
BLTQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 05:37:20 AM »

My MIM Strat hardly gets played these days while my RS-2 gets used 95% of the time.  It has P-90s and is incredibly versatile.  Hope you get a guitar you love as much as I love my Larrivee.  Good Luck!

2010 RS-2 w/ P-90s and flamed maple top
2002 Les Paul DC
2007 MIM 60's Strat
2012 MIK Steinberger Spirit GT-Pro
1995(6?) MIJ Jackson Soloist
1989? MIK Washburn KC-60V w/ DiMarzios
2013 YRG-1000 Gen 2 Guitar Synth
2004 MIJ Takamine AN10
bigonpig

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 07:41:14 PM »

Great advice from everyone; thanks for adding your $0.02 worth. Not sure if it's helped much though  . I'm leaning towards the Strat right now, mainly because I've played a few and I don't have access to a RS-2. It's also good to buy local, right? Maybe it's good to diversify my lineup as well (he said, ducking for cover!  ).   

LS-03MT Island Edition
RS-2
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 12:02:02 AM »

Great advice from everyone; thanks for adding your $0.02 worth. Not sure if it's helped much though  . I'm leaning towards the Strat right now, mainly because I've played a few and I don't have access to a RS-2. It's also good to buy local, right? Maybe it's good to diversify my lineup as well (he said, ducking for cover!  ).   

No one here can fault you for choosing the Strat - just put the RS-2/4/Bakersfield on your list for "someday"...

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 12:12:54 AM »

Like mine I Bet everybody in your neighborhood got a strat, an RS would set you apart. Wouldn't trade my RS 4 for a custom shop strat. Strats are nice heck I have one too ( Jeff Beck model) but if my house was on fire and I only have two hands an RS 4 would certainly be in one of them and maybe Gibson ES in the other. Sorry strat boys 

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
GGBB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 12:44:57 AM »

Buy the one you like playing the most.  If you have no preference, buy the one that you think sounds the best.  If you have no preference, buy the one that you think looks the best.  If you have no preference, buy the strat because it's cheaper and spend the money you save on a nice pedal or two (I love the sound of a strat squeezed through a good compressor - but that may just be me).

Gord

Larrivée C-09 | DeArmond M-75 | Squier '51 (modified) | Ibanez AF105 | Takamine EF360SC | Yamaha BBG5S (modified) | Rockbass Corvette Classic 5 Active
GGBB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 12:53:58 AM »

And I forgot to say - if it was me I'd get a tele, because I think everyone's first electric guitar should be THE first electric guitar (okay - I know it was actually an Esquire with only one pickup, but the tele configuration is sooo versatile).

Gord

Larrivée C-09 | DeArmond M-75 | Squier '51 (modified) | Ibanez AF105 | Takamine EF360SC | Yamaha BBG5S (modified) | Rockbass Corvette Classic 5 Active
bigonpig

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 02:53:17 AM »

And I forgot to say - if it was me I'd get a tele, because I think everyone's first electric guitar should be THE first electric guitar (okay - I know it was actually an Esquire with only one pickup, but the tele configuration is sooo versatile).

Oh great, another option to throw into the mix! 

LS-03MT Island Edition
RS-2
madoclake

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 03:49:49 AM »

I recently did the acoustic to electric thing. And it feels uncomfortable! I have a strat. And a Larrivee. The Strat came first. I say get the RS-2. Try for a used one to help fit the budget. I found it came down to the fret board. The technical aspects of electric and the various configurations, etc are all still very new to me so they don't mean much yet. But the fret board does. And the Rs-2 fretboard feels more like home to an acoustic player gone electric. Enjoy the changes!

Peter
Larrivee L-09
Larrivee RS-2 2010
Larrivee RS-4 1983 "Explorer"
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 04:48:49 PM »

More options a Larrivee Strat from 1983 

Many out there who prefer the strat style I am sure Larrivee could do every bit to this style as they have to the tele style

[attachment deleted by admin]

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 05:28:47 PM »

More options a Larrivee Strat from 1983 

Many out there who prefer the strat style I am sure Larrivee could do every bit to this style as they have to the tele style

Won't surprise me one bit if we see this reborn in the next 18-24 months...it will be interesting to see (if they do it) what unique tweaks it might have...

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
bigonpig

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2011, 07:47:41 PM »

Well, I think I'm more confused than ever!  wacko Luckily, it's a good kind of confusion, as getting a new guitar is always a good thing! Now I'm back leaning towards the RS-2 but am going to play a Strat again today. Probably won't get one until after the new year. Maybe I'll ask Matthew if he could do the custom Larrivee Strat for me! 

LS-03MT Island Edition
RS-2
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2011, 08:44:40 PM »

If Larrivee ever does a Strat-style, I'll be in a quandry ... I have a couple (okay...four) excellent Warmoth Strat's I've built over the years, so the last thing I need is another ... but the Larrivee will probably have a couple unique features that will tempt me into it ...

[attachment deleted by admin]

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2011, 10:00:04 PM »

If Larrivee ever does a Strat-style, I'll be in a quandry ... I have a couple (okay...four) excellent Warmoth Strat's I've built over the years, so the last thing I need is another ... but the Larrivee will probably have a couple unique features that will tempt me into it ...

All it would take for me is a green offering similar to yours  drool

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: