Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aftermarket iMix Installation  (Read 718 times)
GGBB

Ignore
« on: December 19, 2011, 04:38:08 PM »

Hey Gang.

Yesterday I changed the strings on my 1995 C-09 which I acquired in August.  At some point in time it had an LR Baggs iMix no-cut installed at one of the better shops near Toronto.  During the restring I took the opportunity to have a good look inside hoping to find the source of a slight low-E string rattle noise (which I was unable to rectify).

I noticed that the cable guide which holds the leads to the iBeam and the Element is mounted directly to the soundboard.  The other cable guide which holds the output jack cable as well is mounted to the side of the body, which seems more appropriate. 

I was a little dismayed by the soundboard mount.  Is this the recommended position?  Should I move it to the body side?  For those of you who have a factory installed iMix - where are your cable guides mounted?

Gord

Larrivée C-09 | DeArmond M-75 | Squier '51 (modified) | Ibanez AF105 | Takamine EF360SC | Yamaha BBG5S (modified) | Rockbass Corvette Classic 5 Active
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 06:30:36 PM »

Body side's and back{if you have too}.Putting anything that holds wires on the top is just wrong.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
GGBB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 09:22:35 PM »

Body side's and back{if you have too}.Putting anything that holds wires on the top is just wrong.

Thanks unc - I was hoping to hear your opinion on this.  That was my gut feeling too - even the iMix installation manual indicates that the pickup leads are sensitive to contact with the guitar body so I would assume that attaching them to the part that vibrates the most would be a bad idea.  Plus there's the whole problem with weighing down the soundboard (even if only sight).

I contacted LR Baggs asking about new adhesive and velcro because I want to move the preamp and because the volume control and one of the cable guides (the other one) don't stick properly anymore, and they were kind enough to ship me what I need.  Great service - just like Larrivee!  As soon as they arrive I'll be moving the guide.

Gord

Larrivée C-09 | DeArmond M-75 | Squier '51 (modified) | Ibanez AF105 | Takamine EF360SC | Yamaha BBG5S (modified) | Rockbass Corvette Classic 5 Active
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 04:22:17 AM »

You can go to a hardware store and buy some heavy duty velcro.They may also have some small wire hooks,I got some at Radio Shaq,I also mount the batteries on the back of the guitar body towards the lower bout waste and you can pick up some 3M double adhesive tape which will hold the volumn control.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 03:17:02 PM »

+1

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 03:18:21 PM »

I contacted LR Baggs asking about new adhesive and velcro because I want to move the preamp and because the volume control and one of the cable guides (the other one) don't stick properly anymore, and they were kind enough to ship me what I need.  Great service - just like Larrivee!  As soon as they arrive I'll be moving the guide.

This is nice to hear.  Thanks for letting us know that. 

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: