Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RS-4 Pickup configuration  (Read 4176 times)
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 03:43:40 PM »

Since the Forum V is now officially a 'go,'  I wanted to bring this back up with one additional question.  Many of you who have played the RS-4's seem to express that the middle switch (combo of both pickups) is particularly sweet.  This makes me wonder whether, in the situation where one would have a mini and full combo, the full might overpower the mini.  Does anyone know anything about this?

I cant wait for this guitar, btw, my current electric has become mostly unusable and I am really missing having an electric around.

I don't know if "overpower" is the best word for it, but they will interact differently than two pickups of similar design and output. That's what separate volume knob are for - you can reign in the larger humbucker and get a more "balanced" tone (again, maybe not the best choice of words). Having both pickups selected will always change the tone from just a singe pup selected...but the tweaking and discovery is half the fun!

I don't use the middle position with both pickups "full on" that much (I'm always dialing back one volume or the other), so my first priority would be to make sure I'm happy with each individual pickup selection (am I getting the best tone I can at the bridge and at the neck?), then work with the middle position from there.

Some folks spend most of their time in the middle position, so they might answer this differently...

P.S. I'm also very excited that this build has finally been nailed down ... I'm pretty much "in"!

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 06:29:48 PM »

I have one guitar that has a Full HB in Bridge and a Mini in the neck. This setup is hotter than if the Mini was a full HB. Not sure of the reason for this maybe Matthew or Uncle could chime in for the reasons. I just know it is so and luv this configuration. It could be because of the focus of the coils. The full in the neck seems to focus more on the low to med end  ( more mud) where the Mini focus is more on mid to High. It is simply louder. Really can't understand why this setup isn't more popular. Gibson seems to have recently caught on to this with the issue of the AMS SG. Not aware of another builder offering the Full and Mini Combo. It really is the middle position where they shine together.

Having said all this tone is subjective and one size does not fit all. No denying tho the Full and Mini Combo is louder than two Fulls from everything I have tested thru the years. Even louder than two full dirtyfingers BUT only in the Middle.

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
bacchus

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 07:30:09 PM »

The full in the neck seems to focus more on the low to med end  ( more mud) where the Mini focus is more on mid to High.

This is exactly why it seems like such a great combination to me.  I guess that I am going to just make my decision and say that I will go with mini at the neck and full at the bridge for the Forum V.  As you said, tone is very subjective, but this just seems like too good an opportunity to pass up (the mini).

Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18
PM33AUD

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, 05:04:00 PM »

If the Larrivee mini is like other minis, I think it will be even more a match to the FS bridge HB... hopefully it's less OP, though (at least from the point of view of the amp) since I really want sth closer to SC/P90 cleans for my neck.  The bridge PUP, in my uses, seems brighter than the FS neck... some of this is position, of course, but there is a pretty wide range from neck to bridge... I suppose this is a good thing in a way since you have individual tone controls...

I just miss my SC cleans... I think the mini is a real good compromise since I can't use just single coils for the music I'm doing... I need to make a guitar with both a HB and a SC in the neck... :D  4 position on a strat through a twin = bliss.

Phil
bacchus

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2012, 05:20:39 PM »

If the Larrivee mini is like other minis, I think it will be even more a match to the FS bridge HB... hopefully it's less OP, though (at least from the point of view of the amp) since I really want sth closer to SC/P90 cleans for my neck.  The bridge PUP, in my uses, seems brighter than the FS neck... some of this is position, of course, but there is a pretty wide range from neck to bridge... I suppose this is a good thing in a way since you have individual tone controls...

I just miss my SC cleans... I think the mini is a real good compromise since I can't use just single coils for the music I'm doing... I need to make a guitar with both a HB and a SC in the neck... :D  4 position on a strat through a twin = bliss.

Phil

@PM33AUD - As I have said many times (ad nauseum, I am sure, to the many fine folks here kind enough to indulge my curiosity), I am seeking the (probably) unattainable - pure versatility without sacrifice.  Since I can't have that, I want to know what I am sacrificing to gain what I can only imagine is improved versatility in the neck mini / full bridge combo.  I am totally with you in wanting something close to a nice single coil neck pickup.  Less muddiness on the neck would also be great as a purported benefit of mini's.

Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2012, 11:30:33 PM »

Although I'm still struggling with what configuration to order,  I've pretty well decided to go with 2 P90s in my Forum V.  Anyone else seriously considering this option?  Am I making a mistake in anyone's opinion?

Kurt

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2012, 12:58:35 AM »

Although I'm still struggling with what configuration to order,   Am I making a mistake in anyone's opinion?

Kurt

I have an RS 4 with 2 P90's it's one beautiful in all ways guitar

This top is the nicest top I have I cannot imagine the Forum V being nicer ( excuse my photo skills) than this one BUT according to Matthew it is coming from a Special Reserve stock - in all lilihood the nicest RS-4 to date

Sorry - the P90's the Larrivee P90 is wonderful - you won't be sorry at all with this configuration

[attachment deleted by admin]

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
bacchus

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2012, 01:22:44 AM »

Kurt, I dont think that you are making a mistake at all, P-90's are a solid choice.  Honestly, I feel like I am being overly risky choosing the mini/full combo, but I am very excited for what I expect to be an awesome guitar.

Andrew, that is a sweet looking guitar, the wood, the burst, everything...  Oh man, this is going to test my patience.

Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18
bigbluesdaddy

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2012, 11:40:39 PM »

:donutt2

I know I maybe new to the forums but been playing for about 30 years, just recently got my first real acoustic, but with that said I hope I didn't miss anything but if you want a perfect configuration I think a triple humbucker with coil tap would be the perfect all around axe, you would be able to get any tone your looking for, could be a hard wire job, not to sure, but it would be a first, I personaly love the sound of a single coil in the neck postition, to me is the sweetest tone, but thats just my opinion

Tom:

Peace and LONG LIVE THE BLUES...

2011 Larrivee Wildwood Custom Dv03re
1994 Fender Stratocaster
1964 Fender Duo Sonic ll
2009 Highland Royal Deluxe
Line 6 flextone original model
Mesa Maverick Dual Rectifier
Vox Pathfinder 15r
bigbluesdaddy

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2012, 12:41:35 AM »

oops, I just realized that is probably something they don't offer, and I was thinking in terms of what would be a great set up and not thinking about what they really offer, my bad

Tom:

Peace and LONG LIVE THE BLUES...

2011 Larrivee Wildwood Custom Dv03re
1994 Fender Stratocaster
1964 Fender Duo Sonic ll
2009 Highland Royal Deluxe
Line 6 flextone original model
Mesa Maverick Dual Rectifier
Vox Pathfinder 15r
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: