Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larrivee L-02  (Read 1710 times)
CraigB

Ignore
« on: December 15, 2011, 05:50:24 AM »

Just bought a new L-02, what a stunning guitar. I have a Taylor and Martin but L-02 is the best of the bunch.  The 02 range is being sold as a limited edition in the UK but I know they have been on sale across the pond for many years.  The one I got came with Daddario EXP16 which sound great but I just wondered whether anyone had any strong opinion on what strings Sound good on a Larrivee.  Obviously strings are a personal thing and I will try various brands etc but I thought I'd see if i could get a bit of a lead.  Also wondered if there are any other Brits who have recently bought an L-02 and what they think of them so far.

craigb
Michael T
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 06:04:14 AM »

http://www.maurysmusic.com/dr_sunbeam_strings___todd_s_review

http://www.maurysmusic.com/dr_sunbeam_strings___tony_s_review

Here are a couple reviews (there are several more available on Maury's site, thank you sir). I use the 13's and custom gauge the 13 & 17 with 14 & 18 on my dread. They are round core (not just round wound) so you need to tune them to pitch before cutting and don't stretch them much if at all. Long lasting and hold the note during sustain instead of trailing off. I really like them!

08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

hatofthecat

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 10:02:57 AM »

The 02 range is being sold as a limited edition in the UK

I was a bit shocked when I saw about five 02's in the PMT (Professional Music Technology) shop in Oxford last week.  Larrivee's are a very rare sight in UK stores.  They'd positioned them at the "posh" end of the wall, just beyond the Taylors and Martins plus one in the window  bigrin  ...sales guy was pretty keen on them so hopefully they'll sell a few  

I use GHS Bright Bronze on my L-09 Koa, light gauge.  I like the "bright" edge to them and they are super smooth on fingers as I only play fingerstyle and never use a pick (I can't stand the "cheese grater" feel of Martin and some other "old school" strings).

Pete

1992 Larrivée L-09 Koa
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 10:50:54 AM »

http://www.maurysmusic.com/dr_sunbeam_strings___todd_s_review

http://www.maurysmusic.com/dr_sunbeam_strings___tony_s_review

Here are a couple reviews (there are several more available on Maury's site, thank you sir). I use the 13's and custom gauge the 13 & 17 with 14 & 18 on my dread. They are round core (not just round wound) so you need to tune them to pitch before cutting and don't stretch them much if at all. Long lasting and hold the note during sustain instead of trailing off. I really like them!
+1 I agree that Sunbeam 13's sound exceptional on my L-09. I really like the DR Rare 13's on mahogany.

But most strings sound good on Larrivee's b/c all Larrivee's sound good!

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 03:30:58 PM »

My experience with sunbeams was not good (would not stay in tune after only 3 weeks) but I had to loosen them several times to make nut slot adjustments so it was probably not a fair assessment. I really like the Curt Mangan strings so not sure if I'll give the sunbeams another shot or not.

Edit:  The sunbeams did sound really nice right out of the gate. I forgot that I also changed saddles shortly after I put them on so maybe they came unwound or something while they were removed from the bridge, I wasn't thinking about the round core when I loosened them.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
rounder

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 08:53:58 PM »

I like D'addario EXP 80/20.  Add a little sparkle. 

WELCOME to the Forum!      
peterh

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 02:33:19 AM »

HERES SOME MORE 

I'm in the UK and play an OM 05 and I always come back to Phos Br. Newtones  which seem to suit the guitars  sweetness and balance, and they last well too , and like being cleaned! But will they work for you????
 Mine came pre owned from the dealer near Chester...who always had new and used.

Hope that helps

CraigB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 07:12:21 AM »

Thanks for all the responses - sunbeams and newtones definatley seem to be worth a try.  Which newtone strings single or double wound?

Just looked up GHS and they look interesting too !

Thansk for the welcome

craigb
peterh

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 04:34:38 AM »

Re Newtones , I had to think for a sec. but I've not tried their double wrap , string noise isn't a worry at the moment, but  I also appreciate the looser feel of their strings especialy on my 05

kind regs etc

Old Blue

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 07:27:08 AM »

I always come back to Phos Br. Newtones  which seem to suit the guitars  sweetness and balance, and they last well too , and like being cleaned!

Me too on my D-03R. They are the 'Masterclass' ones shown here:

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/991-newtone_master_class_phosphor_bronze_acoustic_strings

Would like to try an L-02, but the nut width would prevent me from buying it. I wonder if there are any D-02's around.....?
Dru Edwards

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 11:25:37 AM »

Congrats on the new Larrivee Craig - and welcome to the Forum!
dependan
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 12:50:45 PM »

Congrats on the new Larrivee Craig - and welcome to the Forum!
  Yup.

Forum III #1 
OO-40R
D-02 (2000 model)

Danny
CraigB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 05:23:22 AM »

Thanks for all responses and replies.  I have now ordered the newtone masterclass strings from stringsdirect, so I'm looking forward to trying them.  As I mentioned in my original post the Daddario EXP16 sound good but there's no harm in trying to improve on things.

I was a bit concerned about the nut and given that I ordered the L-02 purely on reputation without playing or hearing one (I know, I can't believe i did that either  ) I was  bit nervous whilst i was waiting for it to arrive.  When i got my hands on it I was over the moon, the gamble paid off (and I don't normally gamble other than the odd lottery ticket!) I got used to the 46mm nut width in less than 20 minutes and now switch easily between the L-02 and the  Taylor with its 43 mm nut width.

I'll let you know what I think of the newtones and then try some of the others that have been suggested.

What's the significance of doughnuts, is it good or bad?

craigb
dependan
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 09:08:10 AM »

Thanks for all responses and replies.  I have now ordered the newtone masterclass strings from stringsdirect, so I'm looking forward to trying them.  As I mentioned in my original post the Daddario EXP16 sound good but there's no harm in trying to improve on things.

I was a bit concerned about the nut and given that I ordered the L-02 purely on reputation without playing or hearing one (I know, I can't believe i did that either  ) I was  bit nervous whilst i was waiting for it to arrive.  When i got my hands on it I was over the moon, the gamble paid off (and I don't normally gamble other than the odd lottery ticket!) I got used to the 46mm nut width in less than 20 minutes and now switch easily between the L-02 and the  Taylor with its 43 mm nut width.

I'll let you know what I think of the newtones and then try some of the others that have been suggested.

What's the significance of doughnuts, is it good or bad?

Well here they are very good +1 

In the real world, well they can be detrimental to ones health blush

Forum III #1 
OO-40R
D-02 (2000 model)

Danny
CraigB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 09:47:37 AM »

Thansk that's good to know

craigb
Old Blue

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 10:03:21 AM »

In the real world, well they can be detrimental to ones health blush

We don't have proper donuts in the UK. Oh how I miss Tim Hortons..... drool
hatofthecat

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 02:53:52 PM »

I used to use the Newtone's myself.  Nice smooth strings    ..only stopped using them as with some dropped tunings I found their lower tension led to an occasional fret buzz  crying on my original L-03 and I didn't want to raise the action or mess with the neck any.

Pete

PS a  and a rubber band also make an excellent emergency capo  bigrin

1992 Larrivée L-09 Koa
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: