Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: # of Larrivee F33's?  (Read 5129 times)
toydesign

Ignore
« on: December 10, 2011, 02:58:17 AM »

Anyone have any idea how many F33 mandolins Larrivee has produced?
They seem very scarce, and I can't seem to find any for sale online...new or used.

Just curious...are these even still in production?

Thanks
Greg
CZERO9RW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 09:09:45 PM »

There's this one...

A33 at Buff Bros.
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 07:14:15 PM »

There's this one...

A33 at Buff Bros.

That's an A.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
CZERO9RW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 03:40:07 PM »

Really?   

There's no difference in tone, or volume between an A and an F. I thought he may be interested.
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 04:07:02 PM »

Well, the OP was asking specifically how many F-style mandolins Larrivee produced. I wasn't trying to be a smart a$$, just clicked on your link expecting to see a beautifully shaped Mando and saw a rather plain looking one.
Can you tell my preference of body shape? 

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
CZERO9RW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 04:12:35 PM »

Gotcha.

Most folks do like the F style body better. I was for many a year. That was until I realized you can get much more for your money with an A style.
I had to cure myself of what they call "Scroll Envy" 

There is no tone difference from the body style. The sound holes do make a big difference.
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 04:21:35 PM »

I think it was Bill Monroe that popularized the "F" model, wasn't it? I just bought my girlfriend an "A" and I can't tell the difference between the two. CZERO9RW is right: no tone difference.

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
CZERO9RW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »

I think it was Bill Monroe that popularized the "F" model, wasn't it?

Yessiree, and there are folk still lurking in the nook and crannies that feel you can't play bluegrass on anything but...  rolleye

I just bought my girlfriend an "A" and I can't tell the difference between the two. CZERO9RW is right: no tone difference.

Good for you! There really is no difference. The only difference between the two is price. The A's are a much, much better bang for the buck. I hate to say I learned this the hard way.

I have been lucky enough to compare Weber Bridger A & F (I actually had both in my stable for a short period), Collings MT & MF, and Gibson A9 vs. F9 and there was very little, if any difference in any of them.

The subject has been pounded beyond submission over on the Mandolin Cafe forum.

tulk1

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 05:45:07 PM »

I'm waiting for a Larrivee 2-Point. Because we all know they embody the spirit of both the A and F models. Making them superior in all ways. ...... uh, right?  whistling

Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."
CZERO9RW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 04:31:18 PM »

2 points are my favorite style. I have a 2-point octave mandolin that is the nicest acoustic instrument I have ever owned.

Enough of that dreamy talk!

There is a very nice, used F33 for sale on the Mandolin Cafe Classifieds. He is blowing it out at a pretty amazing price! 
singbird

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 01:25:54 AM »

excellent
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 04:12:20 AM »

OK I gotta disagree here the F style's are straight foward volumn monster with a sharp highend a rather brittle mids to me.Were as the A style's with the oval sound hole are more earthy sounding with a better balance even over the A style with F hole's.I never found a difference to my ears between an F with an oval hole or F hole's.My favorite mando was my 1921 Gibson A1 and if I ever have any money I will add a Larrivee A modal with an oval hole.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
CZERO9RW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 05:41:57 PM »

OK I gotta disagree here the F style's are straight foward volumn monster with a sharp highend a rather brittle mids to me.Were as the A style's with the oval sound hole are more earthy sounding with a better balance even over the A style with F hole's.I never found a difference to my ears between an F with an oval hole or F hole's.My favorite mando was my 1921 Gibson A1 and if I ever have any money I will add a Larrivee A modal with an oval hole.

Oval holes definitely are sweeter sounding than ff holes. That's why ovals are chosen more by players that play solo, or accompany old time singing, or jazz. ff holes have less sustain and are dryer sounding. That's why bluegrassers like them. Less sustain gives better differentiation between notes... since they play a million notes per measure.  bigrin

Here is a link to just one of at least a dozen forum threads on this subject over on the mando Cafe:

Mando Cafe Link

I think you'll see the majority of the mandolin community disagrees with you.

You might want to sit down with your mandolins again. There is a pretty big difference in ff and Oval holes. Regardless of body style.

The loudest mando's I've played, or owned (one of I which I currently own) have been A style. But body style has little effect on volume.

Wood choices have the biggest effect on volume. 

dlsteel

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 03:02:59 PM »

I have been Play'n Wendy's A for about 2 months now. Very sweet, great chunk lots of vol. My F33 is almost finished. The F's I have played ( Larrive ) to me are easyer to play and just have more of everything that the A has. I have played many other F's and non of them compare to the Larrivees. Tone, wood selection and finish, JCL's mandos always come out on top
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: