Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RS4 Pickup Nuance Resolved! Larrivee = TOP NOTCH.  (Read 1855 times)
PM33AUD

Ignore
« on: October 31, 2011, 11:02:13 PM »

So this all began here:
http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=38025.0

where I couldn't figure out why these pups were squealing on my lead channel.  So Matt Larrivee PM'd me instantaneously and told me he was going to send me a set after I posted I was thinking about potting them.  He had me a new set within 2 weeks.  I put them in and they were a little better but still squealed with med-hi gain and volume (I play this thing loud).  Damnit.  So I call up Larrivee to find out what else I can do and within 30 seconds they had me on the phone with none other than Matthew Larrivee.  

He explained to me that these were vintage-style pups modeled after old-school PAFs which all squealed mercilessly.  Turns out the set he sent me he brew up custom, just for me, where he slowly heated the wax over several hours and vacuum potted the set!  . GET OUT .  WHOA MAN!

+1

I explained they still were squealing although it did improve.  He suggested I try popping the nickel covers off as that was the only other variable that could induce microphonics.  So tonight after work I pulled off the covers and boy was I delightfully surprised to see an 'odd' zebra cream-black neck and a black-black bridge.  Sick:

When I plugged it in I was surprised to find that absolutely all of the squealing disappeared!  Not only that, but the guitar's newlyfound 'quirkiness' suits me just fine!  I don't know as of yet if I can accurately pinpoint a difference in tone... that'll take a few more days but thankfully they still sound flippin' AWESOME and now I get the added boost I been looking for!

Thanks Matt and all the folks at Larrivee.  I am still in shock they put me through to one of the head-honchos!  This company I am really diggin'.  Keep up the stellar work!

Phil

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 09:53:49 PM »

Great story, and I also love the "uncovered" mix 'n' match look of the covers, just like what often happened in the '70;s when guys pulled their covers off! Matthew has ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS been very responsive to customer concerns with these wonderful guitars...just a great guy - and company - to do business with.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
roscoesmusic

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 02:50:06 PM »

i had pup problems and they fixed me up PRONTO! hats off to mr. L
roscoe
eureka springs ar
markslife

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 06:12:04 PM »

I have a little squealing at 10 full volume on my Larrivee bridge pickup p90. I will have to look into fixing it as well, not a major issue for now.

Mark
Larrivee D03R
Larrivee RS4 tobacco P90's
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 06:33:39 PM »

I have a little squealing at 10 full volume on my Larrivee bridge pickup p90. I will have to look into fixing it as well, not a major issue for now.

A "little squealing at 10 full volume" with a P-90 pickup sounds fairly normal!

How many watts is the amp you're runing through? How claose are you standing to the amp while you play at this volume?

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: