Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: varnish vs lacquer  (Read 8611 times)
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: July 10, 2011, 08:21:31 PM »

Apparently Larrivee has decided to go with varnish rather than lacquer on their mando's and has new product names of F-33V and A-33V to differentiate them.  The text at Buffalo Bros reads: 

New! Larrivee A-33V: This is a spectacular "latest generation" of Larrivee mandolins. Further enhanced tonally by Jean Larrivee's  constant desire to improve his instruments, and also because this is a varnish finished mandolin. Devotees of all things mando will quickly recognize the sonic advantages of varnish over lacquer and will also realize that over years, the difference in tonal quality will widen. Get in on the ground floor with this one, and reap the tonal rewards as the years go by.

what do you think? lacquer is already quite thin compared to the gloss UV finish on the guitars.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
abalone at last

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 10:57:27 PM »

Love varnish finishes...its what Godin uses on alot of their guitars....sonically a mando with sitka spruce top and no central sound hole may need the extra breathing room.....guitars being unfinished on the inside also but with the big soundhole...the whole thing brings up what is refered to as sympathetic theory...as in when you hear the wind....do you hear the wind or the sound the wind makes in the trees? this theory is applied to stringed instruments and quantifies the importance of things like dovetails and varnish.....ie. the string is the equivalent of the wind and the instrument is the tree. Very deep stuff...but for me highlights the importance of touch and picking attack and minimizes the need for nitro-cellulose, and brazilian rosewood........in a nutshell not that important to me what finish type used as long as its thin but nice to see things still being made by test of time ,traditional methods.

2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric
Matthew Larrivee
Admin

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 12:23:09 AM »

With the exception of the first 20 mandolins, all mandolins have been varnished. The Model names are A-33 and F-33 for the F-hole versions, and A-34 and F-34 for the Oval hole versions. We have not sprayed Nitro in over 20 years. The Varnish we use is not a a true Varnish, but modified to our specs. It's designed for ultra high sheen, and enhanced durability. Production wise, varnish is alot more difficult to use due to its Month cure time (versus UV Polyester's 1-3 day time), but it is an exceptional finish. Look to see it used on more Larrivee instruments in the near future.
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 01:03:47 AM »

With the exception of the first 20 mandolins, all mandolins have are varnished. The Model names are A-33 and F-33 for the F-hole versions, and A-34 and F-34 for the Oval hole versions. We have no sprayed Nitro in over 20 years. The Varnish we use is not a a true Varnish, but modified to our specs. It's designed for ultra high sheen, and enhanced durability. Production wise, it is alot more difficult to use due to its Month cure time (versus UV Polyester's 1-3 day time), but it is an exceptional finish. Look to see it used on more Larrivee instruments in the near future.

Thanks Matt. It would appear the Buffalo Bros web page is outdated.

Can you tell I'm thinking about getting a mando?

Randy R., Georgia, USA
abalone at last

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 02:11:20 AM »

Great info from headquarters....thats what I love about varnish is it just does a wonderful job of bringing out the grain and making the wood look pretty...I can remember my dad using varnish on the many boats he made....Great to hear Matt L. has got the secret formula for musical instruments.....

2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 06:23:34 PM »

I was bidding on a F-34 on ebay. The price got too high for me and off it went to another happy ebayer. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a deal on one another time.

so. Did anyone here buy the F-34?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260814044670

[attachment deleted by admin]

Randy R., Georgia, USA
hadden
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 06:50:58 PM »

it is an exceptional finish. Look to see it used on more Larrivee instruments in the near future.

L-03 Italian Spruce
Johnny M
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 03:51:10 AM »

My A-33 that is at least a couple of years old has a varnish finish and is starting to mature nicely (both in appearance and in tone).  I like the fact that a varnish finish is usually done lightly and really allows the soundboard to vibrate. Did I also say that it matures nicely    I don't baby my mandolin, or abuse it, and protection wise it has held up nicely.

...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/
roscoesmusic

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 04:33:16 PM »

hi. i have owned a lot of mandos over the years and the a33 i am playing now is one of the best! period!
thanks mr. L
roscoe
tulk1

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 01:15:42 PM »

Would love to be able to put hands on a Larrivee mandolin. Wonder if anyone has an idea of how many are out there, currently. Or how many they produce in a year? Owners must love 'em, since they're kinda rare in the used market, near as I can tell.

Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."
CZERO9RW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 07:07:10 PM »

Would love to be able to put hands on a Larrivee mandolin. Wonder if anyone has an idea of how many are out there, currently. Or how many they produce in a year? Owners must love 'em, since they're kinda rare in the used market, near as I can tell.

You might want to try a search of the forums over at the Mandolin Cafe. I believe there were a few threads that popped up on the Larrivee mando. Especially when they were first introduced.

I agree with ya, there certainly aren't many floating about on the used market.

I'd love to have a go with an F34.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: