12 fret Larrivee's

Started by cbarclay, December 04, 2011, 02:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm no expert on amplifying acoustics in a mix for a band, but wouldn't there be enough tone adjustment available through a typical preamp, amp, PA or combination of these to create a sound that would cut through?  I realize most of us want to create as "natural" acoustic sound as possible, but if that particular realistic natural sound doesn't stand out enough in a particular mix situation then it has to be modified in some way anyhow.  To me, the more difficult way would be to go on a quest to find the right guitar that just happens to work for this purpose in a particular mix, and the easier way would be to simply adjust the electronics on a guitar that already sounds great "unplugged".

Otherwise, one would theoretically have to find a different guitar everytime the combination of other instruments (or their tones) changed, not?
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: cbarclay on December 15, 2011, 11:59:34 PM
Thanks guys.   :thumbsup
I've been using K&K Mini Western's for several years and really like them especially when I use my Orchid muting DI which seems to be perfectly matched for that pickup.
The reason I asked that question is because the piano I play with seems to match the tones of my guitar (OM03M) and I can't seem to cut through.  Turning up the volume doesn't help either.  Also, I enjoy playing through a mic because I can get a more nuance out of the guitar by adjusting the proximity of where I stand as long as I'm not standing within range of a drum set!
I would say not to choose an all mahogany model, if you are playing through a mic only.

Quote from: dependan on December 16, 2011, 04:12:10 AM
  I would say not to choose an all mahogany model, if you are playing through a mic only.
Yup, I experienced that with my wonderful L-05MT.  Great tone but it got lost.

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on December 16, 2011, 02:17:11 AM
I'm no expert on amplifying acoustics in a mix for a band, but wouldn't there be enough tone adjustment available through a typical preamp, amp, PA or combination of these to create a sound that would cut through?  I realize most of us want to create as "natural" acoustic sound as possible, but if that particular realistic natural sound doesn't stand out enough in a particular mix situation then it has to be modified in some way anyhow.  To me, the more difficult way would be to go on a quest to find the right guitar that just happens to work for this purpose in a particular mix, and the easier way would be to simply adjust the electronics on a guitar that already sounds great "unplugged".

Otherwise, one would theoretically have to find a different guitar everytime the combination of other instruments (or their tones) changed, not?
Great points, L07 SS!  I agree that should be the case but for some reason in my situation  there are enough variables to skew what should work. 
Chris

I remember mention of a 12 fret L somewhere but can't find anything to back that recollection up. Are there any such beasts?
Chris

Quote from: cbarclay on December 16, 2011, 07:43:17 PM
I remember mention of a 12 fret L somewhere but can't find anything to back that recollection up. Are there any such beasts?

Check out Wildwood Music; they commissioned some custom Larrivee 12 fret Ls

http://www.wildwoodmusic.com/special-announcement.html

Quote from: gtrplayer on December 16, 2011, 08:20:32 PM

Check out Wildwood Music; they commissioned some custom Larrivee 12 fret Ls

http://www.wildwoodmusic.com/special-announcement.html

Talk about fostering discontentedness.  :crying:  I gotta quit looking at them.

OTOH, how long do you think it'll be before we see more twelve fret L's? Not like I need one, the SD sounds wonderful, but I have a hankering for a rosewood L.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Okay, one more thought/question...
I used to have a couple Martin D18VS's (12 fret hog/sitka dreads) and I loved the tone of them - they sounded like Norman Blake (except when I played them).  My only complaint was that they seemed to be a little slow to respond.  My thinking is that a smaller bodied 12 fretter would not have the same issue (sometimes it's a good thing and sometimes not).

For those of you who have owned/played both an L and a LS or 000 12 fretter, how do you feel they differ in response to aggressive picking and strumming?
Chris

Quote from: cbarclay on December 22, 2011, 10:34:15 PM
Okay, one more thought/question...
I used to have a couple Martin D18VS's (12 fret hog/sitka dreads) and I loved the tone of them - they sounded like Norman Blake (except when I played them).  My only complaint was that they seemed to be a little slow to respond.  My thinking is that a smaller bodied 12 fretter would not have the same issue (sometimes it's a good thing and sometimes not).

For those of you who have owned/played both an L and a LS or 000 12 fretter, how do you feel they differ in response to aggressive picking and strumming?
That's a lot of questions balled up in one. I have had an L and LS 12 fret (still do) I don't have any issues with strumming the LS, but strings and setup will make all the difference there. In general the L is better for AGGRESSIVE playing. And the smaller LS 12 fret is better for finger style and moderate strumming and picking. But I even get aggressive on my smaller yet 00 sometimes. I kinda like making those string rattle and hum on some songs. Leo Kottke does that on his big Taylors and it seems to me he's just having a blast doing it.
     I don't know, but you may be needing a SD-50. The neck is wider, but I like that myself. The larger body and top will help keep the overdrive to a minimum as well.
     I have several dreads myself, but don't hardly ever play any of them. I prefer the 00, LS and OM size. Just suits me better.