Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who Is "Guitar Jones"?  (Read 2114 times)
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: December 02, 2011, 03:47:14 PM »

So...I was cleaning a few things up last night, and I was getting ready to stick my creme P-90 pickup covers in a drawer, when I saw this inside the bridge cover (first photo). Someone wrote "Guitar Jones" inside the cover...

...so...who is "Guitar Jones"? Is this Larrivee code for something? Is it an inside joke, or story? Is Matthew really "Guitar Jones"? Will we have to wait until next week's episode to learn the answers to all these troubling questions?

bigrin   

ALso, check out the way the original neck cover was cut to fit around the sides of the pickup - the neck replacement Larrivee sent me wasn't routed this way (and it fits just fine). 

Interesting stuff inside Larrivee guitars... 

[attachment deleted by admin]

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 03:51:39 PM »

Maybe it's a play off of this.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIbp5C-5WXM

When you are "Jonesing" for something, it means you can't think of anything else.....so, a guitar Jones is not a who, it's a what.

OTOH, it could mean that these folks are the supplier of those parts...

http://www.guitarjonesusa.com/catalog/store.php
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 04:25:40 PM »

OTOH, it could mean that these folks are the supplier of those parts...

http://www.guitarjonesusa.com/catalog/store.php

That's a pretty likely solution, albeit not very mysterious or magical! Good detective work, Walkerman! 

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 04:42:44 PM »

I believe Walkerman has nailed it.   This is a  pic of a  "Guitar Jones USA"    P-90 pickup cover in black.   they also have a cream color. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
Matthew Larrivee
Admin

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 08:25:54 PM »

Guitar Jones USA is a parts supplier similar to Allparts. They are one of the locations that sell parts for pickup makers. A couple of years back I bought P-90 soapbar covers from every supplier imaginable. I was amazed at how many of them came from the same manufacturer in Japan. When I got the pickup covers in, I wrote on the inside of the cover where they came from.

There was recently a shortage of covers from my primary supplier, and I had to dig into my samples box to fill orders - You've got one of said covers. There are others floating out there with other words such as "Mojo" or "Allparts" etc.

This issue is moot as we've now made our own injection mold to produce soapbar covers from Cellulose Acetate Butyrate, the same plastic used on the early 1950's covers. These will probably be in production within 6 months.

Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 08:40:29 PM »

"...This issue is moot as we've now made our own injection mold to produce soapbar covers from Cellulose Acetate Butyrate, the same plastic used on the early 1950's covers. These will probably be in production within 6 months....."

Best way to crontol the quality of your parts is to make them yourself...... +1

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 06:36:24 PM »

This issue is moot as we've now made our own injection mold to produce soapbar covers from Cellulose Acetate Butyrate, the same plastic used on the early 1950's covers. These will probably be in production within 6 months.

This is impressive - I'm amazed at the lengths Larrivee is going to in order to build the electric side of the business! Thanks for that info, Matthew!

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 06:39:19 PM »

There was recently a shortage of covers from my primary supplier, and I had to dig into my samples box to fill orders - You've got one of said covers. There are others floating out there with other words such as "Mojo" or "Allparts" etc.

Not sure how "recent" that was - I got my RS-2 over a year ago! But time can get away from us!

Walkerman; you nailed it with the "Guitar Jones" supplier info - great sluething!

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 03:30:41 PM »

Not sure how "recent" that was - I got my RS-2 over a year ago! But time can get away from us!

Walkerman; you nailed it with the "Guitar Jones" supplier info - great sluething!

Actually, I just entered guitar jones in Google and there it was.

Dang, I wish I had a computer and google when I was in high school doing those term papers.
markslife

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 06:08:05 PM »

Thats cool, we should be glad these wont cost the $20-$90 each I have found shopping for my 67 Gibson p90 covers wacko

Mark
Larrivee D03R
Larrivee RS4 tobacco P90's
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: