Coffee Lovers

Started by Strings4Him, November 25, 2011, 05:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cafe du monde brings me memories of my 2 trips to New Orleans, most magical place I've ever been. If you're feeling adventurous with coffee, there's an excellent German coffee brand available on Amazon called Dallmayr Prodomo. It's from Munich and it's excellent coffee. 
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
2023  Larrivee L-09

10 days from now I'll be (home!) in New Orleans for the first time in way too many years. Café du Monde or Morning Call will be one of my first stops. But I'm also going to be in search of a great roast beef po'boy!

Then I can go on to the Maple Leaf and other old haunts.
Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wires...

OM-40 SB
Forum VI - LS-03 Moonwood/Walnut
Seagull S6

I'm very jealous! Hope it won't be too hot/humid.   :coffee :donut
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
2023  Larrivee L-09

Yesterday I found myself in the market in need of some coffee.  My go-to is normally Dunkin Donuts.  I've thought for a while that it was way overpriced, but yesterday it was almost $10 for a 12oz bag (not even a pound!). That lost them a customer and sent me in search of something new.

Enter Tim Horton's medium roast.  I'd never seen this in my local market before and figured I'd give it a try.  It was priced at around $6.30 a bag.  I brewed up a cup this AM and am a new convert. 

Quote from: Silence Dogood on August 03, 2023, 09:08:44 AMYesterday I found myself in the market in need of some coffee.  My go-to is normally Dunkin Donuts.  I've thought for a while that it was way overpriced, but yesterday it was almost $10 for a 12oz bag (not even a pound!). That lost them a customer and sent me in search of something new.

Enter Tim Horton's medium roast.  I'd never seen this in my local market before and figured I'd give it a try.  It was priced at around $6.30 a bag.  I brewed up a cup this AM and am a new convert. 

You and ten million Canadians! The Timmy's Double, Double is disgusting, ok I drink my coffee black, but extremely popular north of the border. I've seen Tim Horton's feanchises in northern Michigan.

Quote from: ducktrapper on August 03, 2023, 10:42:05 AMYou and ten million Canadians! The Timmy's Double, Double is disgusting, ok I drink my coffee black, but extremely popular north of the border. I've seen Tim Horton's feanchises in northern Michigan.
I see what all the fuss is about now.   :coffee 

Quote from: Silence Dogood on August 03, 2023, 11:38:26 AMI see what all the fuss is about now.   :coffee 

Yes, well, Horton was a heck of a hockey player.  :laughin:

There are 8 Tim Horton stores in Erie, PA and there is a steady line every morning at the store 1.5 miles from my house. There are also plenty of locations along the QEW and 400 when I head North. It seems only right to take one of my Larrivees to the Archipelago in two weeks.

Quote from: teh on August 03, 2023, 01:29:58 PMThere are 8 Tim Horton stores in Erie, PA and there is a steady line every morning at the store 1.5 miles from my house. There are also plenty of locations along the QEW and 400 when I head North. It seems only right to take one of my Larrivees to the Archipelago in two weeks.

In Thunder Bay, where I hail from, there is almost a Timmy's on every corner and they are all busy. They build a new one and it's busy too. Amazing business. I always made my own coffee and put it in a travel mug but if I'm on the road in Canada, Timmy's is a must.

Quote from: ducktrapper on August 03, 2023, 12:36:25 PMYes, well, Horton was a heck of a hockey player.  :laughin:
Gordie Howe called Horton the strongest man in the NHL. He supposedly curled railroad ties as part of his exercise routine. Who knew coffee and donuts were in his future?
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

I don't know anything about hockey (or any sport) but TH makes a great medium roast.

Try Gevalia coffee, it's a Swedish brand in a yellow bag. I can find it in my local target and some other grocery stores. It's smooth and tasty.

https://gevalia.com/
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
2023  Larrivee L-09

Quote from: Riverbend on August 03, 2023, 03:06:24 PMGordie Howe called Horton the strongest man in the NHL. He supposedly curled railroad ties as part of his exercise routine. Who knew coffee and donuts were in his future?

Quite a compliment coming from Mr. Hockey himself. Gordie was known to be the strongest man on the ice. I like a strong cup of coffee.

Quote from: StringPicker6 on August 03, 2023, 09:04:42 PMTry Gevalia coffee, it's a Swedish brand in a yellow bag. I can find it in my local target and some other grocery stores. It's smooth and tasty.

https://gevalia.com/

I used to get Gevalia about twenty years ago when it was mail order only.  The had one called "Italian Blend" that was really good.  I should try some next time I need some coffee.  I'm really enjoying this bag of Tim Horton's, though.  Really good stuff.  Fuller flavor than the Dunkin Donuts blend I'm used to.

Costco stores often have a local roaster represented in their stores. Here in the San Francisco area they have carried San Francisco Bay coffee for years.  It is roasted in Lincoln,CA near Sacramento.  Their French Roast is incredible. Better to my taste than Starbucks and Peet's. I always buy whole bean and the fresh bags of this stuff have intense aroma with beautiful dark oily beans.
https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"

Quote from: 247hoopsfan on August 05, 2023, 10:54:32 AM. Here in the San Francisco area...
I'm not asking for you to get political, but since you are in the SF area, I'm wondering if it's actually as bad there now as some say?  Are there really tents everywhere on the sidewalks, etc?  I visited SF about ten years ago and spend the day in the touristy pier section and had a great time.  A truly beautiful city.  I hope it's not as bad as some say it is. 

It is quite bad.  I live 30 minutes away, and I need to go in occasionally for business.  Westfield Mall downtown is closing, Walgreens has closed several locations due to high crime, 2 major hotels closed in Union Square.  Major conventions have cancelled at Moscone Center.  The police don't even respond to car breakins in broad daylight.  As liberal as SF is, they recalled the lib DA last year, but the new one isn't much better, they still don't prosecute anything under $1000 so crime is rampant.  Drug, homeless, and defecting in public are common.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/projects/2023/san-francisco-downtown-closing/

I could go one but you get the idea. I used to take my wife in for dinner and good plays like Phantom of the Opera, but not now.

Tony Bennett just passed, but he wouldn't leave his heart in SF now.
https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"

Quote from: 247hoopsfan on August 05, 2023, 01:25:12 PMIt is quite bad.  I live 30 minutes away, and I need to go in occasionally for business.  Westfield Mall downtown is closing, Walgreens has closed several locations due to high crime, 2 major hotels closed in Union Square.  Major conventions have cancelled at Moscone Center.  The police don't even respond to car breakins in broad daylight.  As liberal as SF is, they recalled the lib DA last year, but the new one isn't much better, they still don't prosecute anything under $1000 so crime is rampant.  Drug, homeless, and defecting in public are common.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/projects/2023/san-francisco-downtown-closing/

I could go one but you get the idea. I used to take my wife in for dinner and good plays like Phantom of the Opera, but not now.

Tony Bennett just passed, but he wouldn't leave his heart in SF now.

Man, that is terrible.  I hate to hear it.

Politics aside, it's heartbreaking to hear that. New York was bad in the 70's but it managed to turn itself around. I will keep my hopes up that San Francisco will one day be great again.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
2023  Larrivee L-09

Quote from: StringPicker6 on August 06, 2023, 08:06:37 AMPolitics aside, it's heartbreaking to hear that. New York was bad in the 70's but it managed to turn itself around. I will keep my hopes up that San Francisco will one day be great again.

Rumor has it that NYC is rapidly reverting to the prior era. Same reasons. You get more of what you allow and less of what you don't.