Coffee Lovers

Started by Strings4Him, November 25, 2011, 05:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

On a rare weekday day-off, I'm perusing the forum here, realizing once again I'm enjoying a cuppa joe from my Aeropress - and giving thanks to whomever it was that first posted in this thread about it and to all of those others that chimed in their support.

So, to whomever it was - thanks again.  :cheers
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Latest beans:
Mt. Comfort Peru, 2.5 lb bag from Sam's for $9.81.  Verdict is still out as to whether it was a good buy.
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Hey all,

While I am a novice guitar player I am a Certified Coffee Expert. This discussion is right up my alley.  :bgrin: I used to work in the coffee business; I've picked it, processed it, roasted it, graded it, blind taste tested it, taught appreciation of it, ground it, brewed it and ENJOYED it! I used to train franchisees on everything from cupping coffee to getting the right grind. It was and is a real passion of mine although I left the business a while back.

My favourite coffee comes from La Minita in Costa Rica but I enjoy coffee from all over the world. I use a single cup cone filter every morning because I like to switch around the varietals and don't want to brew a full pot at a time. I used to drink about 10-12 cups a day but now it's just a couple.  :coffee :coffee :coffee :coffee :coffee

Quote from: rockstar_not on January 21, 2017, 06:17:16 PM
Latest beans:
Mt. Comfort Peru, 2.5 lb bag from Sam's for $9.81.  Verdict is still out as to whether it was a good buy.

Verdict was in a few months back - I'll pass in the future.  I'm back to Boyer's Kona Blend from Sam's.  Actually, I did buy a 14 oz canister of Bolivian from Trader Joe's in between. (coffee is pretty good, and it's a reusable canister that I use for convenience with the 2.5 lb bag from Boyer's).  Still using the Aeropress - thanks again to whomever it was in this threat that suggested it so many years ago.
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Mmmmmm....coffee!  I love my Aeropress too.  Sadly I have no time to go coffee shopping or testing.  I'm still just getting the big bags of San Francisco Bay at Costco.
2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin

Me, I use keurig and Costco's house dark blend.  I smile every time I pass a Starbucks and think about all of the money I have saved.

Aeropress user here for about 3 or 4 years now I suppose. We have a a couple of local places that sell really good "locally" roasted coffee beans. All Fair Trade, Organic, no puppies harmed, etc. By locally, I mean about an hour away.

I smile every time I see someone using a Keurig, and think about all of the money I have saved.  :laughin:
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Quote from: markj on May 14, 2017, 11:45:20 AMI smile every time I see someone using a Keurig, and think about all of the money I have saved.  :laughin:

not to mention all the landfill space, and possibly multiple gastro-intestinal problems from ingesting the byproducts of super-heated plastics . . .

Quote from: markj on May 14, 2017, 11:45:20 AM
Aeropress user here for about 3 or 4 years now I suppose. We have a a couple of local places that sell really good "locally" roasted coffee beans. All Fair Trade, Organic, no puppies harmed, etc. By locally, I mean about an hour away.

I smile every time I see someone using a Keurig, and think about all of the money I have saved.  :laughin:

My local roaster is about 1.2 miles.  If I don't stop on the way home, I'll often walk there.  Unfortunately, they are moving a quarter mile farther away sometime this summer.  Or, considering the extra exercise, maybe fortunately!

I look at the Keurigs and both money and landfill concerns keep me from even considering them.  At our summer cabin, we switched to a French press.  It makes decent coffee.  Since I usually wake up earlier than my wife, I think I'm going to get an insulated press.

Ed

Quote from: eded on May 23, 2017, 03:29:45 PM
My local roaster is about 1.2 miles.  If I don't stop on the way home, I'll often walk there.  Unfortunately, they are moving a quarter mile farther away sometime this summer.  Or, considering the extra exercise, maybe fortunately!

I look at the Keurigs and both money and landfill concerns keep me from even considering them.  At our summer cabin, we switched to a French press.  It makes decent coffee.  Since I usually wake up earlier than my wife, I think I'm going to get an insulated press.

Ed

I've somehow acquired two of these Porlex Grinder because the sound of electric grinders drove me and my family around the bend.

We use them with plain old Melita bamboo baseed filters which we composte in the back yard .  maybe there will be a behavioural adjsutment in the local squirrel population next century, but it's nothing to compare to the problems that kuerig is encourang

I'm not a fan of Keurig at all, but don't they make reusable filter cups?
2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1815 JG Hamm violin

Quote from: Paraclete on May 25, 2017, 09:15:52 AM
I'm not a fan of Keurig at all, but don't they make reusable filter cups?

That's true...  if not them, there are 3rd party vendors who do.

Ed

Coffee thread arises from the ashes!!!

Kids bought me a burr grinder for Christmas. Nice except there's so much static in the group me coffee hopper that it makes a mess trying t get all the ground coffee out. Any tips?  Already tried rubbing the outside of the container with a dryer sheet. No luck there.
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on January 02, 2018, 03:15:31 PM
Coffee thread arises from the ashes!!!

Kids bought me a burr grinder for Christmas. Nice except there's so much static in the group me coffee hopper that it makes a mess trying t get all the ground coffee out. Any tips?  Already tried rubbing the outside of the container with a dryer sheet. No luck there.

Does a brush, like a small basting brush, help at all?  I use one to clean out my grinder.
2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1815 JG Hamm violin

I use a cheap camping coffee pot and get grids all the time,there not bad going down but taste bad when they get stuck in my stash an hour latter.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: Barefoot Rob on January 02, 2018, 08:43:32 PM
I use a cheap camping coffee pot and get grids all the time,there not bad going down but taste bad when they get stuck in my stash an hour latter.
I use a cheap Mr. Coffee and the HEB grocery version of Folgers Classic with a cheap plastic filter and most of the coffee tastes great till I get to the bottom of the plastic glass and swallow down the mud there, which wakes me up even more and that's when I go to the music room and play a Larrivee for about two hours. Or more.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: Paraclete on January 02, 2018, 04:39:43 PM
Does a brush, like a small basting brush, help at all?  I use one to clean out my grinder.

Not really. It came with one.  After another week of use and daily rinse out it is starting to lose its static cling of the fine grounds.
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

So, I'm now a full 2 months into using the burr grinder and here's my verdict so far:
1.  Convenient - fill the hopper with beans, set it for a fixed amount of cups, and it grinds for that much.
2.  Static is somewhat going down.
3.  The finest setting, is not an espresso grind, it's not quite fine enough.

So, I decided to look to see if others had the same issues - sure enough, and one enterprising guy figured out how to 'hack' it for finer grind.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Hacking-the-Cuisinart-SupremeGrind-for-Espresso/

I used some metal tape that I had for taping up my dryer vent tubing to the dryer.

Bingo: Espresso grind

Static is still an issue, and even more so with the dusty grind, but less coffee required each day.
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Wow....that's a good thing to know about burr grinders.  Are all the brands just shy of espresso grind?  I've been thinking about getting one because the standard spin grinders heat up the grinds too much.
2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1815 JG Hamm violin

Quote from: Paraclete on March 07, 2018, 09:58:02 AM
Wow....that's a good thing to know about burr grinders.  Are all the brands just shy of espresso grind?  I've been thinking about getting one because the standard spin grinders heat up the grinds too much.
I can't speak for any burr grinders other than the Cuisinart model we have.
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud