Coffee Lovers

Started by Strings4Him, November 25, 2011, 05:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whoa, that's quite a machine!

That's one serious-looking coffee machine.  Congrats on your 65th.

Are you going to have to renovate your kitchen to accommodate it?
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on July 28, 2016, 12:56:40 AM
Are you going to have to renovate your kitchen to accommodate it?
Not really.  It does take more real estate than the smaller machine it replaces, but the taste is way more than worth it.

I was looking at a 40-series Larrivee beforehand, but decided against it, for now...
Play it daily for best results.

Still using my Aeropress and enjoying the results.  Thanks to whomever it was in this thread years ago that brought it up and piqued my interest.  I'm still using the first pack of filters that came with it.  I use them for about a week at a time, one press per day.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Hmmm. Real coffee lovers just love coffee. We don't no stinkin' fancy brands or machines. Hell, we'll drink the sludge that comes from coin dispensers ... and love it!   :laughin:

I know there's a lot of Canadians here so I'll recommend Kicking Horse coffee. Best I've ever had, and it's available down here in the states too.  No gut rot feeling. I grind it fresh and French press it. Turned me into a coffee drinker.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on November 13, 2016, 02:33:28 PM
I know there's a lot of Canadians here so I'll recommend Kicking Horse coffee. Best I've ever had, and it's available down here in the states too. 
Yes lots of luv for that brand up this way.
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: ducktrapper on November 13, 2016, 12:47:09 PM
Hmmm. Real coffee lovers just love coffee. We don't no stinkin' fancy brands or machines. Hell, we'll drink the sludge that comes from coin dispensers ... and love it!   :laughin:
I detect that perhaps you are inferring a cork-sniffery in my comment.  However, I bet the Aeropress is a simpler 'machine' than whatever most might be using to make their coffee.  Even a stove-top percolator has more parts than the Aeropress.  Folgers is often the fodder for mine.

I'm a guitar lover, but I'll take a Larry over a First Act any day of the week.

2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Looked up Aeropress. Is there anything that separates it from a traditional French press besides the filter?

Quote from: rockstar_not on November 13, 2016, 09:26:41 PM
I detect that perhaps you are inferring a cork-sniffery in my comment.  However, I bet the Aeropress is a simpler 'machine' than whatever most might be using to make their coffee.  Even a stove-top percolator has more parts than the Aeropress.  Folgers is often the fodder for mine.

I'm a guitar lover, but I'll take a Larry over a First Act any day of the week.

I didn't mean anyone's comment in particular. Just the general direction of the conversation. Of course, I like good coffee but as a coffee lover, I'm willing to drink mostly anything black and kind of warm and have. It was meant to be funny. Didn't mean to offend.   :cheers

My wife claims to love wine but mostly she hates all but one brand of Beaujolais.   :laughin:   

Quote from: B0WIE on November 13, 2016, 09:32:06 PM
Looked up Aeropress. Is there anything that separates it from a traditional French press besides the filter?

The main difference besides the filter is the very short time that the hot water is in contact with the grounds. Aeropress is much more like an espresso machine than a French press. French press is coarse ground, longer steep time. Aeropress is very fine grounds, very short steep time.

I sold my Bodum Brasil French Press about a week after getting my Aeropress.
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on November 14, 2016, 09:31:17 AM
The main difference besides the filter is the very short time that the hot water is in contact with the grounds. Aeropress is much more like an espresso machine than a French press. French press is coarse ground, longer steep time. Aeropress is very fine grounds, very short steep time.

I sold my Bodum Brasil French Press about a week after getting my Aeropress.

Not sure what is meant by finer grounds as that's dictated by the grinder. I tend to prefer fine grounds in a French press with a longer steep time at slightly lower temperatures for a smoother taste.  My wife brews hot/fast and it drives me nuts.

Sounds like its not for me (especially because I hate filters) but thanks for the info! I appreciate it.

Quote from: B0WIE on November 14, 2016, 09:58:49 AM

Sounds like its not for me (especially because I hate filters) but thanks for the info! I appreciate it.
I have yet to meet a coffee "snob" who after trying the aeropress are won over. For the low $ investment you might wanna giver a try.

There is a stainless steel filter option that I'm told works equally well if that makes a difference
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I've been using a $10 camping perc for 15 years now.  When people come over and have coffee I always get compliments.  It doesn't take much to make great coffee.

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on November 14, 2016, 11:25:03 AM
I have yet to meet a coffee "snob" who after trying the aeropress are won over. For the low $ investment you might wanna giver a try.
There is a stainless steel filter option that I'm told works equally well if that makes a difference
:coffee :coffee :donut2 :donut
Okay, being of open mind, I went and read about the aeropress on their website. Watching the video takes longer than Mr. Coffee to make 4 cups.
We recently replaced our ancient white Mr. Coffee with a new black Mr. Coffee that cost 14 dollars. It uses the same parts and uses the same pot.
Mr. Coffee heats up his own water, all I have to do is pour the cold water in.
Clean up is a snap, since I just tap out the grounds from, then rinse, our plastic filter into an old coffee container. Grounds used in the yard.
And it is not true the Mr. Coffee over extracts the middle of the coffee and under extracts the edges. The boiling water is sprayed over the grounds in a haphazard manner and extracts the coffee evenly for a smooth, satisfying brew with no extra effort on my part.
Mike
L-05
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: mike in lytle on November 14, 2016, 01:47:20 PM
:coffee :coffee :donut2 :donut
Okay, being of open mind, I went and read about the aeropress on their website. Watching the video takes longer than Mr. Coffee to make 4 cups.
We recently replaced our ancient white Mr. Coffee with a new black Mr. Coffee that cost 14 dollars. It uses the same parts and uses the same pot.
Mr. Coffee heats up his own water, all I have to do is pour the cold water in.
Clean up is a snap, since I just tap out the grounds from, then rinse, our plastic filter into an old coffee container. Grounds used in the yard.
And it is not true the Mr. Coffee over extracts the middle of the coffee and under extracts the edges. The boiling water is sprayed over the grounds in a haphazard manner and extracts the coffee evenly for a smooth, satisfying brew with no extra effort on my part.
Mike
L-05

I'm with you on that having both a 12 and 4 cup Mr. C. Works for me. My wife uses a Keurig but I don't like it. I don't think the water makes enough contact with the grounds. It always tastes weak to me. And it's expensive. The trick to making good coffee, for the most part, is using enough coffee. Which means at least a tablespoon per cup.  :beer    

We have a 12 cup Mr. Coffee. Wife uses it everyday. I posted my thanks earlier this week because of how much I have enjoyed the coffee from the Aeropress these past 4 years or so. I don't think I would have ever heard of it had it not been for this thread. Not trying to evangelize for it, just expressing thanks. I happen to like trying different ways of making coffee and this one is my favorite.  I love coffee for the flavor not so much the quantity. I think I read somewhere back maybe 10 pages that GA-ME uses 3 or 4 presses per day from his Aeropress.  I would never fall asleep in a day if I drank that much. 😳  The way I love coffee is different than the way others love it. That's ok with me
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

I recently decided drinking coffee from ceramic mugs instead of stainless steel.  The coffee tastes better and I've found the diminishing temp of the coffee actually allows more of the flavor to be tasted.

When at work I use my grandpa's old Thermos from the 60s.   I usually use the plastic lid as my mug but recently switched to a ceramic mug.  The taste is MUCH better.  I've not used stainless steel in years but I used to have one of those ubiquitous carry-along mugs and I remember the coffee tasting pretty bad.