Coffee Lovers

Started by Strings4Him, November 25, 2011, 05:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Mikeymac on October 20, 2015, 02:33:37 PM
I should start doing this - thanks.

I had a bald spot in my St Augustine that I resurrected using exclusively coffee grounds.  The caffeine is a stimulant for the soil. 

Does anyone using the AeroPress have issues with the interior of the press scratching badly? Mine have scratched pretty seriously and I have given up on them after the third one did this. I've went back to my Bodum Young press. I still miss making afternoon latte and cappuccinos with the AeroPress though.

Quote from: GA-ME on November 30, 2015, 11:16:32 AM
Does anyone using the AeroPress have issues with the interior of the press scratching badly? Mine have scratched pretty seriously and I have given up on them after the third one did this. I've went back to my Bodum Young press. I still miss making afternoon latte and cappuccinos with the AeroPress though.
Mine is scratched bit works fine
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on December 02, 2015, 06:17:42 PM
Mine is scratched bit works fine

It seems like about three months is the life for the press under my usage schedule. Initially, the scratches don't seem to effect the use, then, gradually, they seem to get deeper and deeper, until the plunger seal fails and the pressure forces coffee upward and starts creating a hazard with the hot liquids. It's a shame, because it sure does make a darn fine cup of Joe.

Quote from: GA-ME on December 03, 2015, 11:58:00 AM
It seems like about three months is the life for the press under my usage schedule. Initially, the scratches don't seem to effect the use, then, gradually, they seem to get deeper and deeper, until the plunger seal fails and the pressure forces coffee upward and starts creating a hazard with the hot liquids. It's a shame, because it sure does make a darn fine cup of Joe.

Mine gets one push a day.  I've had it about 3 years.  But I have always cleaned the plunger rubber seal after every use - not saying you don't.  I also notice that if I grind to a powder, it's REALLY hard to push down.

I also usually just do a two scoop of whole beans.  Three scoops causes more need for the downward pressure.  It does make great coffee.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

I clean the Aeropress rubber part after each use and rinse out the tubes.  Don't store the plunger inside the tube, but keep it out.  So far, after 5 years of using it, is not showing signs of needing to be replaced.

One add-on item that I bought via Kickstarter and now available on their site is the Spressa press for the Aeropress.  It helps to make the press smoother, and easier with espresso level grinds, which I use for it and the espresso lever machine.  I don't want to adjust the grind setting.
Play it daily for best results.

Alright...must resurrect this thread...after all, I live in a county that has (or at least at one point had) the most espresso stands per capita.  I don't think I am ever more than 5 minutes away from one, unless I go to really remote areas.  And 5 minutes is almost venturing into caffeine withdrawal country!

Very pleased to see so many into the Aeropress.  It's been my favorite way to brew coffee since about 2010.  I noticed a few people mentioning scratches or splits in the chambers of their presses.  Mine scratched, then developed little splits and cracks.  I emailed customer service to find out if it was still safe to use.  They sent me a new chamber for free. :thumb

Also, do you guys really use that much coffee in it?  I use one scoop of freshly ground San Francisco Bay beans from Costco per mug, fill the barrel almost to the top with water, stir it 20 seconds, pop the plunger on, let it sit a bit, then push.  I started out using a ton of coffee but then figured out that you don't actually need that much to make a decent cup of coffee.

I used to do the French press thing.  It's too messy.  Used to do cone coffee.  That's messy too.  So it's Aeropress for me....unless I splurge on espresso, or drink too much coffee at church.

:coffee :donut
2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin

Coffee at church explains your username Paraclete :).

Quote from: Strings4Him on March 12, 2016, 11:26:06 AM
Coffee at church explains your username Paraclete :).

It does indeed!  It's actually the name of my fiddle/uke duo.  As a duo my friend and I play favorites from jazz standards to Beatles tunes, to Broadway stuff, pop tunes, etc...mostly done in our own swing style.  But we also are both part of the church worship team every Sunday morning.  We've got an amazing group of kitchen volunteers who have coffee ready to go by the time we get done with rehearsal before the service.  Have to keep the musicians caffeinated!   :coffee
2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1815 JG Hamm violin

Aeropress - try stirring for 2 minutes before pushing the plunger.  This pretty much requires the inverted method, my usual. 

Recently, I'm back to using a Ponte Vecchio Lusso lever machine to make the coffee.  It takes less beans than the AP and give a strong flavor.  But the AP gets 2-3 uses per week.

I use a Bodum French press every morning. I find its more important to have the right beans and purified water.
   Ruta Maya, which is roasted in Austin has been my favorite for years. When the owner first opened a small shop in the downtown warehouse district over 20 years ago I leased him a small ice machine. (200-400 lbs. a day) He has a much larger operation now and has his coffee in the large grocery stores and Costco or Sams. I prefer the medium roast.

I told my doctor on Monday that I had cut back to two very large cups of coffee per morning (my baby daughter gave me this cup made at Exit 82 Art in Austin, TX for Christmas).  He told me to drink more coffee, that it is good for you...
George

I use a Keurig with the biodegradable coffee thingys from Costco. $0.27 per cup.  It is fine to my palate.  And hassle free.

Quote from: prof_stack on April 22, 2016, 12:06:51 AM
Aeropress - try stirring for 2 minutes before pushing the plunger.  This pretty much requires the inverted method, my usual. 

Recently, I'm back to using a Ponte Vecchio Lusso lever machine to make the coffee.  It takes less beans than the AP and give a strong flavor.  But the AP gets 2-3 uses per week.

I keep meaning to start doing the inverted method.  But I'm such a creature of habit that I kind of make coffee on auto pilot.  One of these days, if I get a morning off (due to rain since I work outdoors), I'll get around to it.
2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1815 JG Hamm violin

Quote from: Walkerman on April 23, 2016, 08:22:55 AM
I use a Keurig with the biodegradable coffee thingys from Costco. $0.27 per cup.  It is fine to my palate.  And hassle free.

Good price.

Quote from: Strings4Him on April 23, 2016, 09:47:21 AM
Good price.

Not only that, Walkerwoman empties all of the grounds out of the little cups and uses them in her garden.  Saves on fertilizer.

Quote from: Walkerman on April 23, 2016, 08:22:55 AM
:donut :donut2 :coffee :donut2 :donut
And I use an ancient Mr. Coffee with a plastic mesh filter from HEB. My palate prefers Folgers Classic Roast. The Mr. Coffee has the added technical benefit of purifying the water during the boiling process and depositing the minerals in layers on the boiler element, from where they can be conveniently removed by vinegar once a month. The grounds are tossed in the yard.

The cost per cup is very low.
Mike
L-05
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: mike in lytle on April 23, 2016, 01:41:32 PM
And I use an ancient Mr. Coffee with a plastic mesh filter from HEB. My palate prefers Folgers Classic Roast. The Mr. Coffee has the added technical benefit of purifying the water during the boiling process and depositing the minerals in layers on the boiler element, from where they can be conveniently removed by vinegar once a month. The grounds are tossed in the yard.

The cost per cup is very low.
Mike
L-05

Very cool Mike!  My preference is Community Coffee, breakfast blend... :thumb
George

Quote from: georbro3 on April 23, 2016, 04:15:24 PM
Very cool Mike!  My preference is Community Coffee, breakfast blend... :thumb
The high regard which I have for you just went up.
Mike
L-05
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

My coffee habit just took a big (and final) jump, with a 65th birthday gift.  From the factory in Milano, to the "I Drink Coffee" store in Ontario, to my kitchen in Seattle.  70# beast makes cafe-quality coffee, every time.