Pages: 1 ... 12 [13] 14 ... 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coffee Lovers  (Read 55822 times)
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: January 24, 2013, 11:57:23 AM »

Anybody prefer organic over non-organic?  I've read that coffee growers use lots of pesticides.
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: January 24, 2013, 12:32:44 PM »

Well, I'm gonna try the Great Value stuff in my Aeropress.  I will buy store-brand any chance I get because in most cases it's from the same factory/source as the brand names.  However, what I'm finding is that the local Kroger chain, King Soopers, doesn't have entry-level store brand whole bean coffee.

They have their 'Private Selection' brand which is almost always priced higher than nearly every other brand name except Peet's and DazBog (which is a local roaster in Denver).  I can usually get a good deal on the Gevalia, for which their French Roast is excellent - not burned like Shizzle-bux.

I also like the Eight-o-Clock Columbian, but they are pulling a little packaging game where they've shaved an ounce or two off their net weight.  I think they sell in 10 or 11 oz. bags now, instead of the typical 12 oz bags which at one time I thought were 16 oz. bags.

-Scott
I've also noticed the packaging sham with Eight O'Clock.  Pretty disappointing.   

Regarding the Great Value brand, I don't shop at Walmart but I don't mind store brand blends if they're good.  I know a family that buys pretty much everything at a close out grocery store and they hardly ever drink the same kind of coffee since they just get what's there.  I've handsome pretty good stuff at their house. 
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: January 24, 2013, 02:11:29 PM »

I've also noticed the packaging sham with Eight O'Clock.  Pretty disappointing.   

Regarding the Great Value brand, I don't shop at Walmart but I don't mind store brand blends if they're good.  I know a family that buys pretty much everything at a close out grocery store and they hardly ever drink the same kind of coffee since they just get what's there.  I've handsome pretty good stuff at their house. 

That's the type of store where the expired Community is right now.  I get gourmet overstock food and beverages there for pennies on the dollar.

Regarding Wal-Mart; there are business practices by them that turn my stomach, and then others that I wish the rest of the retail world would follow.  They are the largest employer in the US by quite a large margin.  Their employees deserve a health care plan that should be available through sheer size negotiation with insurance companies just like Wal-Mart's ability to negotiate prices based on massive buying power.  However, last I checked, most of those employees do not have any measurable benefits.  But I haven't checked lately.

Wal-Mart got 'green' religion perhaps 5-7 years ago and as a retailer is probably the leader in energy conservation and landfill waste reduction and sustainability efforts.  Wal-Mart understands that operating a company this way can save them money - which is really what any for-profit business is about, making profits - I'm o.k. with that.  Wal-Mart doesn't get credit for their sustainability efforts, perhaps because of the perception of their 'evilness' (earned in some respects) overrides any good that they actually do.

Lots of coffee companies brag on about how much they care about the farmer in the Amazon rain forest, etc.  It wouldn't surprise me if the Great Value sourced beans benefit those farmers the most.

Here's WalMart's own telling of this story - can't speak for it's accuracy, but I wish more companies had real action plans in place and could see the real profit-making benefits of operating with sustainability as a key business goal.  http://corporate.walmart.com/global-responsibility/environment-sustainability  And a blog that claims WalMart is doing the opposite:  http://grist.org/business-technology/top-10-ways-walmart-is-failing-on-sustainability/

I don't work for them nor know anyone who does at a corporate level, btw.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: January 24, 2013, 02:20:40 PM »

The coffee is good

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: January 24, 2013, 02:21:18 PM »

".....Their employees deserve a health care plan that should be available through sheer size negotiation with insurance companies just like Wal-Mart's ability to negotiate prices based on massive buying power.  However, last I checked, most of those employees do not have any measurable benefits.  But I haven't checked lately......"

You obviously haven't read the provisions of Obamacare....but then, neither did our representatives before they voted for it.  In a few years, employer provided private insurance will no longer exist.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: January 24, 2013, 02:26:16 PM »

All I said was Wal mart had good inexpensive coffee. 

GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: January 24, 2013, 03:02:04 PM »

This thread is veering down the banishment road. I have a lot to add to the political discussion, but I am refraining, because of my love of coffee and the little nuggets I get from the thread. However, I am not really all that good at keeping my "mouth" shut. Lets stick to coffee discussion here and keep the politics out of the thread, please?
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: January 24, 2013, 03:05:23 PM »

This thread is veering down the banishment road. I have a lot to add to the political discussion, but I am refraining, because of my love of coffee and the little nuggets I get from the thread. However, I am not really all that good at keeping my "mouth" shut. Lets stick to coffee discussion here and keep the politics out of the thread, please?

Yup, me too. I could belly ache till the cows come home. 

prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: January 24, 2013, 03:34:41 PM »

I'm drinking a Sumatra-bean latte, from beans I roasted last week.  It is fabulous.  This new lever machine is amazing.

Home roasting is really easy and cheap to start.  Then the hobby can escalate to fancier roasters which cost from $300 to over $2,000.

Kind of sounds like guitar hobbies!    

Play it daily for best results.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: January 24, 2013, 03:37:38 PM »

I'm drinking a Sumatra-bean latte, from beans I roasted last week.  It is fabulous.  This new lever machine is amazing.

Home roasting is really easy and cheap to start.  Then the hobby can escalate to fancier roasters which cost from $300 to over $2,000.

I'm still searching for that old campfire perk pot 

GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: January 24, 2013, 03:40:11 PM »

I just don't have time to get into the fancy stuff. My coffee addiction is far to severe to be worrying about perfect temps, home roasting, lever machines and such. If I got into all that stuff, it would be like a herion addict growing their own poppies...
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: January 24, 2013, 06:04:42 PM »

I'm not a Walmart fan but I've grown weary of such battles.  There is a local Walmart Neighborhood Market near the house that my wife likes to go in sometimes.  I figure I can go in there with her, hold hands, get along, be glad to be married to someone I love who loves me, or I can get all sour and fight my invisible war that no one cares about save me.  Having said that I go in there a handful of times a year, but never in the "real" Walmart.  The people in there scare me. 

I mostly shop at my local Tom Thumb store.  Nice place.  Nice folks.  Nice stuff.  I usually run into people I know while in there.  This thread makes me realize I've never tried their store blend coffees, but I will remedy that.  I've mostly been drinking coffee from my local Braum's, a family-owned dairy/ice cream store chain out of Oklahoma. 

I'd like to learn more about home roasting beans.  Isn't it pretty easy using old popcorn machines, which are easily found at thrift stores?
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: January 24, 2013, 06:54:22 PM »

I'm not a Walmart fan but I've grown weary of such battles.  There is a local Walmart Neighborhood Market near the house that my wife likes to go in sometimes.  I figure I can go in there with her, hold hands, get along, be glad to be married to someone I love who loves me, or I can get all sour and fight my invisible war that no one cares about save me.  Having said that I go in there a handful of times a year, but never in the "real" Walmart.  The people in there scare me. 

I mostly shop at my local Tom Thumb store.  Nice place.  Nice folks.  Nice stuff.  I usually run into people I know while in there.  This thread makes me realize I've never tried their store blend coffees, but I will remedy that.  I've mostly been drinking coffee from my local Braum's, a family-owned dairy/ice cream store chain out of Oklahoma. 

I'd like to learn more about home roasting beans.  Isn't it pretty easy using old popcorn machines, which are easily found at thrift stores?
I enjoyed your post.

Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: January 24, 2013, 10:21:32 PM »

This is the best thread I've started on the forum. 

I just picked up some Starbucks Italian Roast that was on sale for $9.50/lb.  I ran out of the Cafe Pajaro I normally get from Trader Joe's.

The older I get, the more content I am with simple pleasure--such as a good cup of coffee and conversation with a friend.

Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: January 25, 2013, 03:05:29 AM »

The older I get, the more content I am with simple pleasure--such as a good cup of coffee and conversation with a friend.

Man after my own heart. 

I scored some "Java Delight" Columbian roast at my local Albertsons tonight.   Has a nice, dry-ish scent, like if mahogany were a coffee (works in my mind). Bag was 5.49 which is a good price.  It's basically their store brand.  This thread inspired me. 
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: January 25, 2013, 03:32:21 AM »

I'm still searching for that old campfire perk pot 

My wife got mine at a camping store,its a small one only 4-5 mugs but it does the job.If I ever really take a day off I'm going to check Goodwill and maybe some second hand {anyique} store's for a bigger one.I also have plans of buying anotherone from a camping supply store.Oh ya I still use paper filters in mine because after a while those really small grinds do get to be a bother.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: January 25, 2013, 01:01:41 PM »

Cabela'a sells a couple different perks. Nice too.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: January 25, 2013, 03:10:46 PM »

I'm about to take a road trip and I'll not be in any hurry so I'll stop and browse in the small towns along the way. I did find a large stainless pot but the parts were missing so I left that one.
   Albertsons left our part of Austin, HEB just outdid them. I think it's time to try some less expensive brews though. The one we had been drinking for many years "Ruta Maya", just doesn't seem to taste as good to me as it used to. In a blind taste test this Walmart Columbian would probably win.

Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: January 25, 2013, 03:22:05 PM »

HEB's are hard to find this far north up I-35, though there are a few.  I've been enjoying this Java Delight Columbian today.  Haven't had a blend I liked so well for a long time.  Makes me rethink the whole idea of cheap blends.  Much higher-end coffee is just too rich for me anymore.  Lots of oils and it seems harder on my stomach than once upon a time.  I think I'll make this the year of cheap coffee.  Just can't do it with beer though...

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: January 25, 2013, 03:30:39 PM »

One of my daughters lives in the mid-cities and I'll stop by and see her, so maybe I can find an Albertsons and acquire some Java Delight. When we had an Albertsons down here I went there all the time to avoid the crush of people that always comes along with HEB.

Pages: 1 ... 12 [13] 14 ... 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: