Coffee Lovers

Started by Strings4Him, November 25, 2011, 05:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

With my Aeropress, I've never measured temp.  I get to full boil then remove from heat for 1 minute as per the Aeropress suggested method,  then pour over the grinds, stir for a count to about 20 seconds using the highly accurate: one thousand one, one thousand two.... method.  Press the thing in about 10-15 seconds, and then doctor per the mood of the day - add some of the hot water for americano, add cream and sugar, whatever.  Not had a bitter cup yet.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on December 24, 2012, 02:27:57 PM
With my Aeropress, I've never measured temp.  I get to full boil then remove from heat for 1 minute as per the Aeropress suggested method,  then pour over the grinds, stir for a count to about 20 seconds using the highly accurate: one thousand one, one thousand two.... method.  Press the thing in about 10-15 seconds, and then doctor per the mood of the day - add some of the hot water for americano, add cream and sugar, whatever.  Not had a bitter cup yet.

And you can do all this BEFORE you have had your first cup of coffee?

Quote from: AgeOfEmpires on December 24, 2012, 11:40:22 AM
I enjoy my aeropress on occasion.

Have you ever tried increasing your temp a little?  Typically the recommended brewing temp for coffee is between 195-205F - the right temperature for proper extraction.  That is particularly the reason why I use a Technivorm for auto drip.  Most auto drip machines cannot reach this temp range.  The Technivorm is one of only 4 home drip machines certified by SCAA to brew within this range.

I've used temps from off-boil to 175F (the inventor's recommendation).  It's fun to experiment.  I don't have a favorite temperature.

Check out the Behmor Brazen brewer ($200).  You set brewing temperature (one degree Fahrenheit increments), pre-soak time (in seconds), and it calibrates for boiling temperature AND altitude to ensure accuracy.  I've got one and it is pretty remarkable how much one or two degrees can affect flavor.  I didn't imagine it would make much of a difference.
Play it daily for best results.

Quote from: prof_stack on December 24, 2012, 05:03:46 PM
Check out the Behmor Brazen brewer ($200).  You set brewing temperature (one degree Fahrenheit increments), pre-soak time (in seconds), and it calibrates for boiling temperature AND altitude to ensure accuracy.  I've got one and it is pretty remarkable how much one or two degrees can affect flavor.  I didn't imagine it would make much of a difference.

I'll have to do a little searching around to check out that device.

Yeah, the variabilities are endless, but there is a definite spectrum where things taste right to me.  This is part of what fascinates me about coffee - origin, brew method, etc. all lead to a nice challenge.  I've also tossed in roasting of green beans on occasion.  Quite an art form, if you ask me, but one well worth developing for the very best cup.

Another factor, of course, is the grind size and quality.  That's actually my weak point, IMO.  I've got a decent slow speed burr grinder, but nothing like one of the Mazzer's or MACAP's.  Fortunately for me, mine works ok for drip and press coffee.  Whenever I can afford a decent espresso machine, I'll have to budget for an improved grinder too.  Skimping on the quality of the grinder is sort of like buying a nice camera body, but not putting money into the lenses at the same time.  Little good does a nice espresso machine serve you without a high quality grind.

Quote from: dependan on December 24, 2012, 04:13:36 PM
  And you can do all this BEFORE you have had your first cup of coffee?

Honestly, there really isn't a comparison to your standard drip cup of coffee.  From the Aeropress, the coffee flavor is deep and wide, without bitterness.  It's like a very intense hot-cocoa flavor for the most part.

So, yes, the flavor is worth it - and that's basically all I have for the day, versus multi-cups of java.
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

The Prof_Stack household just got another jolt of caffeine with this new lever espresso machine, a Ponte Vecchio Lusso. 

...complete with German made hand grinder from Zassenhaus.  The coffee was roasted at home.

Great espresso, lots of steaming power for latte art, and way cool retro styling.   :cheers

Very nice.   :coffee
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

prof_stack my mouth is literally salivating right now!!

Quote from: Strings4Him on January 18, 2013, 05:50:33 AM
prof_stack my mouth is literally salivating right now!!
Heh, this morning's Sumatra is amazingly smooth, but bursting with flavor.  I'm surprised how much more I like the coffee coming from this machine.  The Aeropress is lonely right now, but will be used again.

BTW, it cost no more than a 03 series with typical online discount.  I got it here in Seattle. 

Quote from: prof_stack on January 18, 2013, 08:46:37 AM

BTW, it cost no more than a 03 series with typical online discount.  I got it here in Seattle. 

So you didn't buy it to save the cost of buying coffee at the 7-11.   :winkin:
Roger

I'm headin to Wal-Mart to get some great value Columbian and then down to Goodwill and look for an old perk pot you heat up on the stove. :whistling:

Quote from: dependan on January 19, 2013, 02:30:37 PM
  I'm headin to Wal-Mart to get some great value Columbian and then down to Goodwill and look for an old perk pot you heat up on the stove. :whistling:
Funny that.  Today I visited a fellow coffee geek who just got a $2500 lever espresso machine made in London.  Coupled with a $900 hand-grinder, he makes my coffee hobby seem downright ghetto!   :coffee

Works for me.  Must be a Texas thing. 
:wave

Quote from: the creature on January 20, 2013, 09:05:44 AM

Hey Community coffee lovers.  I have access to a big cache of expired ground Community coffee for cheap.  Should I bother with any of it?  Which blend would you recommend?

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Could have used one of those this morning, sans power because of the high winds. 20 F here right now, supposed to get down to 3 F tomorrow.
Roger

Quote from: rockstar_not on January 20, 2013, 09:09:11 AM
Hey Community coffee lovers.  I have access to a big cache of expired ground Community coffee for cheap.  Should I bother with any of it?  Which blend would you recommend?

-Scott
I like their Colombian and Dark.

Enjoying my second cup of smooth "Great Value" 100 percent Columbian  :coffee :coffee   I made it in a French press though, with filtered water.
My wife enjoyed her three cups as well. I think I paid less than $3.75 for a pound of this at Wal-Mart. 

Quote from: dependan on January 23, 2013, 09:35:00 AM
   Enjoying my second cup of smooth "Great Value" 100 percent Columbian  :coffee :coffee   I made it in a French press though, with filtered water.
My wife enjoyed her three cups as well. I think I paid less than $3.75 for a pound of this at Wal-Mart. 
Part of their "unfair trade" line?  Ha!

Got my Peet's $4 plastic #4 basket and my $0.025 recycled filters to strain my $16.00 a pound Sumatra Blue Batak.
The Dude abides.

Quote from: the creature on January 20, 2013, 09:05:44 AM

Well, I'm gonna try the Great Value stuff in my Aeropress.  I will buy store-brand any chance I get because in most cases it's from the same factory/source as the brand names.  However, what I'm finding is that the local Kroger chain, King Soopers, doesn't have entry-level store brand whole bean coffee.

They have their 'Private Selection' brand which is almost always priced higher than nearly every other brand name except Peet's and DazBog (which is a local roaster in Denver).  I can usually get a good deal on the Gevalia, for which their French Roast is excellent - not burned like Shizzle-bux.

I also like the Eight-o-Clock Columbian, but they are pulling a little packaging game where they've shaved an ounce or two off their net weight.  I think they sell in 10 or 11 oz. bags now, instead of the typical 12 oz bags which at one time I thought were 16 oz. bags.

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud