Coffee Lovers

Started by Strings4Him, November 25, 2011, 05:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trader Joes French roast with an extra scoop!!!!!
Larrivee OM-40M Legacy
Larrivee OM-3R JCL
Larrivee P-01
Alverez AP66SB

I have mainly had dark roast coffee.  But I am really enjoying the flavor difference with milder roasts.

Quote from: CJ on July 25, 2012, 09:29:45 PM

Since the wife retired list month, we've been drinking our usual blend every morning and in the late afternoon have been brewing a 2nd pot ... then stay up until 1am or otherwise bounce off the walls. Hence trying out some decaf blends. I'm too old to be up that late.  :blush:

I have my last cup at about 1:00am and am sound asleep by 2:00am.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

With this summer heat, I have actually strayed from the fold and bought Iced Coffee a couple of times in the past month and enjoyed it.  This morning, I made some espresso with the Aeropress, then added COLD water up to an Americano, tossed in some cubes and some creamer/sugar and yum.

Will likely be repeating this as long as it's predicted to be above 90.

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on July 28, 2012, 04:12:58 PM
With this summer heat, I have actually strayed from the fold and bought Iced Coffee a couple of times in the past month and enjoyed it.  This morning, I made some espresso with the Aeropress, then added COLD water up to an Americano, tossed in some cubes and some creamer/sugar and yum.

-Scott
Did you incorrectly spell yum when you meant rum?   :humour:
Play it daily for best results.

Quote from: rockstar_not on July 28, 2012, 04:12:58 PM

-Scott
Above 90? Ha!  That's considered catching a break here in Texas.  Yesterday I got in my car outside of work, which stays parked on a blacktop parking lot in direct sunlight, and the temp gauge read 121.  If we get a 90 degree day in July or August it feels like spring.  I have to admit that I get thoroughly sick of the Texas heat.  Last summer was absolutely brutal. 

I have also been enjoying iced coffee this summer.  I get a pound of espresso from the Green Machine and brew up shots at home.  I like to add half whole cream and half whole milk for mine.  Very good stuff. 

:+1: on the Texas heat. It gets very old in the dog days.
Iced coffee or a Frappe are nice in the heat.

I'm not trying to derail the thread into who has hotter temps, in our part of CO, we are not even close - I love the weather here, but hotter days don't make me pine for the java.

I always thought Iced coffee was kind of weird, but I get it now.  That's all I was trying to say.

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on July 29, 2012, 11:26:39 PM
I'm not trying to derail the thread into who has hotter temps, in our part of CO, we are not even close - I love the weather here, but hotter days don't make me pine for the java.

I always thought Iced coffee was kind of weird, but I get it now.  That's all I was trying to say.

-Scott
Got it. Guess I just wanted to whine a little about the heat.

It's funny, you rarely hear the Canadians whining about the cold in the winter.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on July 30, 2012, 10:54:31 AM
It's funny, you rarely hear the Canadians whining about the cold in the winter.

It's hard to be blustery with blue lips...

Quote from: GA-ME on July 30, 2012, 11:11:26 AM
It's hard to be blustery with blue lips...
YUP.
                       http://www.jacklondons.net/buildafire.html

Quote from: the creature on July 30, 2012, 06:41:25 AM
Got it. Guess I just wanted to whine a little about the heat.

I think you folks have earned it time and again.  We have partner businesses all over TX and I forget what the string of 100+ days was last summer in many parts of the republic, but I recall it was way too many.  And for alot of you, you can't even say:  "But it's a dry heat"

2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

resurrecting this thread as a Christmas thank you to those of you who lauded the Aeropress.

This Christmas Eve morning, as I'm trying to wrap up all of my family's outstanding medical bills/insurance submissions/etc.  (Those of you with 'high-deductible' insurance plans probably understand the accounting responsibilities placed on the end user of the plan) I'm enjoying a fresh espresso that would cost me probably the better side of 5$.

There's very little coffee that I've cranked through this thing that doesn't end up in a rich enjoyable cup.  I can even say that I've fine ground Folger's and Maxwell House and used it with much more than serviceable results.

I've had it since April or so, and I've not even begun to make a dent in the filter stack supplied with it - I reuse them 3 or 4 times each, with no noticeable degredation in flavor.  Here in CO, once you rinse the filter, it's only an hour or two before it's dry and ready for the next use.  It does require wetting on re-use, as it shrinks a bit with the drying.  The re-wetting quickly blooms it back to original size and ready to use.

The extravagant use of beans is the only negative to this thing - but even then, my guess is that my costs are roughly $0.25-$0.50/cup.  And no waiting in line at Starbucks for a burnt flavor dibble-dopp, double-pop, cream on top without a belly flop little sing-song rhyme that I hear people proudly recite proudly in front of and behind me in line when I've had a giftcard or coupon for Starbucks.

So, a Merry Christmas and a thank you to all who sang the praises of the Aeropress - a very happy customer here indeed.
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

I have thought of this thread as well. In a way it changed my coffee prep habits as well. We no longer use a brewer at all. For about six months now we have been using two bodum press pots.
Also I have the habit of drinking a cup of Jo first and then switching to tea, I'm drinking a big cup of PG Tips teas now that was made in the second press pot. The tea habit really kicked in when we spent three weeks in N.Z. and just kept going.
I do still enjoy coffee first thing though.

I'll have to look into this aeropress device. I love coffee first thing in the morning and then sometimes around 6-7 p.m. as well. I'm not too particular of the brand of coffee as long as it is medium to dark roast.
in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60

Merry Coffee Christmas!

I bought two metal filters designed for the Aeropress, the Able (silver) filter and the Kaffeologie filter. 

Both allow more body into the cup, which for some coffee is a good thing.  The paper filters produce the smoothest cup.

Both filters are USA made, like the Aeropress, for those of us who care about such things.  They're about $12 each.  There are a few other filters out there.

With the inverted method, I use water at about 185F and agitate for 5 sec.  The coffee then steeps for a minute before agitating again.  Then I put the lid and cup on top and carefully turn over, and press.  Works for me. 

:coffee  :coffee  :coffee  :coffee  :coffee  :coffee  :coffee  :coffee  :coffee :coffee
Play it daily for best results.

Quote from: prof_stack on December 24, 2012, 10:17:25 AM

... I use water at about 185F ...

I enjoy my aeropress on occasion.

Have you ever tried increasing your temp a little?  Typically the recommended brewing temp for coffee is between 195-205F - the right temperature for proper extraction.  That is particularly the reason why I use a Technivorm for auto drip.  Most auto drip machines cannot reach this temp range.  The Technivorm is one of only 4 home drip machines certified by SCAA to brew within this range. 

I will check out the Technivorm.  I am getting close to needing a new coffee machine.

Quote from: Strings4Him on December 24, 2012, 12:48:35 PM
I will check out the Technivorm.  I am getting close to needing a new coffee machine.

http://scaa.org/?page=cert2

Not saying the Technivorm is right brewer for everyone.  Also, I would assume there are some other makers out there that haven't submitted their brewers for certification, but I can say out of the several mid-range brewers (say $150-$350) that I've tried, it certainly heats the water better than any other.  It is fast too and I think it brews a very nice cup.  It has been the official brewer for several years in at least the Specialty Coffee Assn. of Europe competition.  Not sure about the SCAA.

I almost went with the Bonavita shown on the link above - it's less expensive.  But I figured if I played a Larrivee, might as well drink coffee from a Technivorm. 

I must say though, my favorite drip method is a Chemex manual pour over brewer.  It's more hassle though that the Technivorm so I only use the Chemex on an occasional Saturday morning.