Pages: 1 ... 9 [10] 11 ... 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coffee Lovers  (Read 55732 times)
prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: May 09, 2012, 02:11:58 AM »

I got an Aeropress over the weekend.  I'm trying to understand how the inverted method does anything different than the 'normal' method, other than you can let the water mix with the grounds for a longer period of time since no leakage occurs through the filter.

Any other reasons why doing the inverted method may be better?
Sure.  Look at the sides of the tube when you turn the Aeropress over to press out the nectar.  Notice the sediment that is left.  None of that will get through the filter and into your coffee.  You only get the essense, or something like that.  When I do it this way and use 180F water, I get a really nice and smooth cup.  Much hotter than 180F and the coffee doesn't taste as good (to me).

Also, this way you can resuse the filter a few more times, since it stays cleaner.

Anyway, it works well for me.

Play it daily for best results.
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: May 09, 2012, 04:35:19 AM »

Sure.  Look at the sides of the tube when you turn the Aeropress over to press out the nectar.  Notice the sediment that is left.  None of that will get through the filter and into your coffee.  You only get the essense, or something like that.  When I do it this way and use 180F water, I get a really nice and smooth cup.  Much hotter than 180F and the coffee doesn't taste as good (to me).

Also, this way you can resuse the filter a few more times, since it stays cleaner.

Anyway, it works well for me.

I guess I need to see the difference visually because when I see 'inverted method' videos, they are all flipping the rig over and pressing anyways.  You must be doing something different.  Also, I don't know what sediment you are referring to on the sides of the tube  - I see none.  How the filter remains cleaner is also a mystery to me - I must be missing something.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
ryler
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: May 11, 2012, 11:57:11 PM »

Y'all, I just don't fit in.  I got the Aeropress and I hated it.  The flavor of the coffee was good, but the french press was just easier to use.  Not easier to clean up, mind you.  But easier to make the coffee.
prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: May 12, 2012, 01:53:15 AM »

I guess I need to see the difference visually because when I see 'inverted method' videos, they are all flipping the rig over and pressing anyways.  You must be doing something different.  Also, I don't know what sediment you are referring to on the sides of the tube  - I see none.  How the filter remains cleaner is also a mystery to me - I must be missing something.
The advantages to the inverted method are:
1 - No leakage while the coffee is being agitated (this is the main reason, imho)
2 - More coffee particulates are held back from the press.  On my newish Aeropress, they stick to the side while the fluid level is pressed. 
3 - The filter stays a little cleaner and so can be used a few more times before discarding.  I usually use a filter 4-5 times.

The box says the water should be at 175F for best flavor.  I like it closer to 180F, but YMMV.  Some people like to pour the water into the chamber just off a boil.  Since I roast the green beans, I like to get more of the varietal nature of the bean to come through.  Most of my roasts are single origin beans.

Right now I have no plans to get another caffeine delivery system.  I don't miss the Gaggia lever machine I sold a couple of months ago.

rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: May 13, 2012, 12:54:42 AM »

The advantages to the inverted method are:

2 - More coffee particulates are held back from the press.  On my newish Aeropress, they stick to the side while the fluid level is pressed. 
3 - The filter stays a little cleaner and so can be used a few more times before discarding.  I usually use a filter 4-5 times.

i'm still not following this - I get no particulates on 'sides' - the plunger wipes the whole thing and pushes everything through the filter.  I don't see particulates on any 'sides' wherever the sides may be.

I also don't understand how the filter stays cleaner - the same amount of water and coffee are being pressed through it, right?

-Scott

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: May 13, 2012, 04:40:54 PM »

So sorry for the confusion.

When I turn the AP over, before pressing, some of the particulates are on the side.  I only press until the water is through, so the particulates don't get on the puck.  The filter is usually pretty clean and can be reused a few times (depending on how cheap I am) after rinsing. 

It's not as big a deal as I made it sound.  But for me, it makes a cleaner cup.

funkstarfish

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: May 13, 2012, 05:28:34 PM »

you got rid of a gaggia lever?  Man, im envious.  I can't wait to buy my first house and install one in the kitchen.  Gaggia levers are my dream.  I love pulling shots on lever machines.  Or a synesso. 

The dude abides
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #187 on: May 17, 2012, 03:48:30 PM »

After reading Uncle's sleep issue in another thread came across Drink More Coffee, Live Longer Study recently released.

So have a   

For me just never acquired the taste  yak

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: May 17, 2012, 03:51:30 PM »

I just finished off some French Press coffee. Really good stuff after driving for two days and not having a good cup this morning until I got home and made it.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
funkstarfish

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: May 17, 2012, 04:28:13 PM »

Also just pressed through some nectar of the gods.

The dude abides
placoustic11

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: May 18, 2012, 01:53:18 AM »

I absolutely must have my french roast as soon as I get up.Routine;Get up go to livingroom computer on,bathroom,kitchen press coffee machine" on " button,back to computer look at larrivees for sale on several sites,back to kitchen pour coffee ,cream, 1 sugar, stir, drink, life begins.
prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: July 14, 2012, 03:35:02 PM »

Aeropress update:  I saw a video with another twist in using the AP.

- No inversion used.
- Use it as the directions show on the package (water temp 170 to 200, ymmv).  But,
- after stirring (agitating) for 10-15 seconds push the top on just enough to seal the tube.
- Let the stirred coffee sit for 50 seconds or more.  The vacuum will keep any liquid from dripping out.
- Press slowly to extract the coffee.

The resulting brew tastes better (to me, anyway) and the puck is more solid than usual.

Hooked

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: July 18, 2012, 12:50:38 PM »

Roasting would be fun but I know I don't have time for it. I don't even have time to grind my own beans, and when I do I never taste the difference.  These days I'm making up my own blends of various Community Coffee varieties. This morning I'm enjoying a bit of their Cafe Special mixed with Hotel Blend. There are many possible combinations, and since all their coffee tastes great, there's no way to mix up a bad batch.  I was converted to Eight O'Clock (which I don't consider "cheap," by the way. Folgers and Max House are cheap to me) but I moved back to Community after a bit. Been drinking it for years and couldn't stay away for long as it's an old favorite.

Community Coffee! Old New Orleans memories are flooding back!  +1 (Beignets?)

Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wires...
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: July 18, 2012, 01:40:31 PM »

Just a note, we have converted 100% to French press for a month or so now. We use our Bodum that makes 2 large mugs of coffee per pot.
   On our recent three week road trip we used it every day at relatives houses, motels and cabins. While in West Virginia the power went out for many days (it was still out when we left), but we heated water in a pot on the deck grille (propane).
   It was the one "luxury" we had. A really good cup a joe, whenever we wanted. +1

vacapicker

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: July 18, 2012, 02:25:51 PM »

Just a note, we have converted 100% to French press for a month or so now. We use our Bodum that makes 2 large mugs of coffee per pot.
   On our recent three week road trip we used it every day at relatives houses, motels and cabins. While in West Virginia the power went out for many days (it was still out when we left), but we heated water in a pot on the deck grille (propane).
   It was the one "luxury" we had. A really good cup a joe, whenever we wanted. +1

We take along my propane single burner and water kettle.  People think we're excessive...until we make the java!  "Petes" is our favorite brand.   

"You can observe alot just by watching." Yogi Berra
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: July 18, 2012, 04:39:27 PM »

Peet's French Roast in the press is a favorite of mine.
funkstarfish

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: July 25, 2012, 04:59:12 PM »

I have been using a Pour Over coffee system made for me by a friend.  I grind 30 grams coffee and pour 500 grams water slowly over the top, through a special paper filter.  Cleanest and tastiest cup (2 cups) ever, and so easy to do.  Cleanup is a breeze too.

I get my coffee from these guys down the street.
http://obliquecoffeeroasters.com/
  I live in Portland, with tons of good coffee, and this puts most to shame.  John roasts up the most fantastic single origin coffees.  His Brazil Arco Iris and Mexico Nayarit natural process are both fantastic coffees.

The dude abides
CJ

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: July 25, 2012, 05:39:21 PM »

I read a forum for low carb dieters and this morning saw a thread that made me shudder ...

Some of the hard-core dieters as so regulate their carb and fat intake, that they add a teaspoon of coconut oil to a cup of coffee, claiming it tastes good and to get the recommended 3 Tbsp coconut oil per day, for brain health, digestion and regularity (which is a problem for low-carbers). An even smaller group of the hard-core LC dieters add a tsp of cocoa butter. Such requires constant stirring I surmise.

I'll try anything once, but on first blush, it sounds like a strange way to ruin a good cup of coffee.

Time for me to order again, from http://www.klatchroasting.com    ... my wife is a big fan of their golden pecan roast, so it's our staple. But as often as I order, I choose a couple 1 lb bags of something unique. The Amaro Gayo was wonderful.

Now that the low-carb diet has messed up my gallbladder, I'm on the hunt for a good decaf. Haven't found one yet.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: July 25, 2012, 05:46:59 PM »

We are trying the Zone diet and so far I have gained a little weight. But a lot has to be adjusted in our eating habits.
                  But my coffee is off limits cop Gotta have my Jo

CJ

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: July 26, 2012, 02:29:45 AM »

Well, this thread inspired me today ...

I ordered 10 lbs of the golden pecan, and 12 oz. bags of 4 different decaf coffees: Decaf Colombia Supremo, Decaf Colombian Las Serranias, Decaf Klatch House Blend, and Sleeping Goat Blend.

The latter sounds interesting per the description:

A full bodied blend dating back to the beginning of coffee, when it was discovered by a goat herder named Kaldi

Since the wife retired list month, we've been drinking our usual blend every morning and in the late afternoon have been brewing a 2nd pot ... then stay up until 1am or otherwise bounce off the walls. Hence trying out some decaf blends. I'm too old to be up that late.  blush
Pages: 1 ... 9 [10] 11 ... 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: