Pages: 1 ... 8 [9] 10 ... 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coffee Lovers  (Read 56821 times)
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: April 17, 2012, 11:09:14 PM »

So, where does one buy one of these Aeropress thingamajigs?

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: April 18, 2012, 01:33:55 AM »

So, where does one buy one of these Aeropress thingamajigs?

Lots of places.  Try Amazon.
funkstarfish

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: April 18, 2012, 02:26:52 AM »

its real easy to use too, and it basically cleans itself.  you just grind coffee, heat water, put in coffee, put in water, and press.  It forms a little "puck" of coffee that you juts dump in the bin or compost or garden and its almost clean.  its at least camping clean.  makes a strong or weak cup depending on how much coffee you use.  i use 16 - 20 grams per biggish mug.  ground around what you would for drip, maybe a touch more fine.  use water that is just cooler than boiling.  i usually boil it then wait 1 minute.

The dude abides
prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: April 18, 2012, 04:28:58 AM »

Here's my Aeropress ritual:  (it's all automatic now, so don't let all these steps confuse you)
- Heat a cup of water in the microwave.  Pour half of the water into the inverted tubes, resting the cap on tap with filter in place.
- Grind 10g of beans (Zassenhaus hand grinder).
- Heat a half-cup of water to 200F or so.
- Remove the water from the now warmed up tubes. 
- Dump the ground coffee into the tube.
- Add the water, stir briefly to mix well.
- Stir for 10-15 seconds.  Put the cap on.
- Bring the cup over the cap and turn it all over.
- Press the nectar into the cup. 
- Add hot water to taste (I usually have a small amount of hot frothed milk).
- Clean up, very fast with this system.

Play it daily for best results.
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: April 18, 2012, 01:44:22 PM »

I don't want to be a coffee snob, but I'm finding that as I get older, I'm getting that way.  Right now, I have 3 means of manufacture:

1.  A Mr. Coffee automatic drip.  Disappointing.  I had a very cheap old cone filter type drip maker that seemed to do a much better job - in-laws were visiting and accidentally broke the carafe. 
2.  8 'cup' Bodum French press  (cup in quotes because they are 4 oz. cups, I believe)
3.  3 'cup' Bodum French press at work.

While I like the flavor from 3 cup, the 8 cup doesn't work well for small batches - always weak for just a few cups.  I'm also tired of getting 'fiber' with my coffee.  No matter how coarse I grind, I always have to 'chew' the last half of a cup from the presses.

So, I may be ready to move on.  The Aeropress sounds very nice.  I became spoiled I suppose, at my previous place of employment where we had an automatic Capresso machine in the building, and for 25 cents, one could have a burr-ground espresso as fresh as one can imagine.  It was also where I learned that I really shouldn't do a double.  Heart-racing caffeine injections don't sit well with me  wacko

So, this Aeropress thing sounds interesting.  I may ask for one for Father's day.

2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: April 18, 2012, 01:54:07 PM »

I had a small Bodum press that I never could make a decent cup with. Got rid of it. The large one, as you point out, won't make a decent small batch. That's why mine sees little use. My stovetop perk makes great large and small pots.  I brewed up a medium roast this morning and mixed in some raw whole cow milk in the first cup. The best cup I've had in years. Scored the raw milk locally. Try it if you like creamy coffee. Can't stand all that fake cream. It's either milk or black for me.
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: April 18, 2012, 03:09:35 PM »

I had a small Bodum press that I never could make a decent cup with. Got rid of it. The large one, as you point out, won't make a decent small batch. That's why mine sees little use. My stovetop perk makes great large and small pots.  I brewed up a medium roast this morning and mixed in some raw whole cow milk in the first cup. The best cup I've had in years. Scored the raw milk locally. Try it if you like creamy coffee. Can't stand all that fake cream. It's either milk or black for me.

I haven't used any dairy or whitener in my coffee for a few years now.  There's nothing as satisfying as a good hot cup of black coffee!  Although, I do like a good latte from time to time.  I have a stainless steel Bialetti stove-top espresso maker at home that I should really spruce up.  Man, that thing make stupendous coffee. 

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: April 18, 2012, 03:14:10 PM »

I haven't used any dairy or whitener in my coffee for a few years now.  There's nothing as satisfying as a good hot cup of black coffee!  Although, I do like a good latte from time to time.  I have a stainless steel Bialetti stove-top espresso maker at home that I should really spruce up.  Man, that thing make stupendous coffee. 

I have an espresso maker. I hooked up a hose to the spigot and added a fitting to go in the 12th or 14th fret hole I drill out to loosen the neck joint for removal. It works really well.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
ryler
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: April 21, 2012, 08:17:32 PM »

You persuasive people have given me AAS.  (Careful how you pronounce that. ) Aeropress Acquisition Syndrome.  It's on order.  I'll let you know how it compares to the ever-so-messy but ever-so-tasty french press.
funkstarfish

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: April 21, 2012, 08:52:03 PM »

Hey Ryler, they are different, you will not get the texture from the Aeropress that you do from the French press. 

but what you do get is a bit cleaner flavors, very good aroma, and the ease of 1 cup at a time with fast cleanup.

Also, dont be afraid to go outside the directions they give you.  I found the need to use hotter water, something like 195 -200.  I also let mine brew just a bit before pressing.  You can use more or less water or coffee for different effects.  sometimes i use just 1/3 of the chamber full of water to make an "Americano" style drink, and sometimes i use it to brew true coffee and fill the chamber.

So dont get frustrated if it doesnt work right the first time, i had to play a bit to get it right, but now its one of my faves.

I did french press this morning though  whistling

The dude abides
ryler
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: April 21, 2012, 09:23:41 PM »

Thanks, funkstar.  I'll bear that in mind and tweak to taste.
prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: April 22, 2012, 01:40:01 AM »

Hey Ryler, they are different, you will not get the texture from the Aeropress that you do from the French press. 

but what you do get is a bit cleaner flavors, very good aroma, and the ease of 1 cup at a time with fast cleanup.

Also, dont be afraid to go outside the directions they give you.  I found the need to use hotter water, something like 195 -200.  I also let mine brew just a bit before pressing.  You can use more or less water or coffee for different effects.  sometimes i use just 1/3 of the chamber full of water to make an "Americano" style drink, and sometimes i use it to brew true coffee and fill the chamber.

So dont get frustrated if it doesnt work right the first time, i had to play a bit to get it right, but now its one of my faves....
Well stated.  I use the inverted method to get a very clean cup and less crud on the filter, which I reuse about 3 times. 

When you're ready to try the inverted method, do a Youtube search about it.  It's pretty easy.

funkstarfish

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: April 22, 2012, 02:36:39 PM »

yeah, i usually do the inverted method to let it brew a bit longer, like a french press.  But mine broke yesterday, haha, was drying it, and i dropped it and it must have hit the floor just right.

The dude abides
prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: April 22, 2012, 03:03:38 PM »

yeah, i usually do the inverted method to let it brew a bit longer, like a french press.  But mine broke yesterday, haha, was drying it, and i dropped it and it must have hit the floor just right.
Now that's just weird.  The AP is pretty darn indestructible.  They are pretty cheap on Amazon.  I got a 2 for 1 when I bought it, so a new box is ready if this one ever bites the dust.

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: April 22, 2012, 04:04:47 PM »

On the road, McDonalds

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
funkstarfish

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: April 22, 2012, 04:10:45 PM »

it is weird, and i was crushed.  to be honest, i was kinda shaking it to shake some of the water off before drying it with a towel.  during a downward shake, it slipped out of my grip and struck the floor with a bit more force than gravity.  Oops, not quite indestructible.  Ill get another here soon.

The dude abides
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: April 22, 2012, 05:01:14 PM »

MMMMMMM, Yummy and the second full press of the morning is steeping:

My wife picked some of this up yesterday and it is quite good.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: April 22, 2012, 05:07:36 PM »

On the road, McDonalds
My choice when on the road too. 
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: April 22, 2012, 06:16:00 PM »

My wife picked some of this up yesterday and it is quite good.

I currently buy all my coffee from Trader Joes.  It is great coffee and well-priced.
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: May 08, 2012, 05:02:11 AM »

I got an Aeropress over the weekend.  I'm trying to understand how the inverted method does anything different than the 'normal' method, other than you can let the water mix with the grounds for a longer period of time since no leakage occurs through the filter.

Any other reasons why doing the inverted method may be better?

2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Pages: 1 ... 8 [9] 10 ... 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: